Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old September 6th, 2017, 12:04 PM
If you're creating HLO as an evolution are you taking a hard look at the HL XML and scripting support? HL works great if you use it straight out of the box for a supported game system using every option or with defined options presented in the various sources. However many of us don't do that. The process of getting HL to present to my players only the options allowed in my campaign has simply never worked. I write code for a living and did not go into this expecting it to be simple but I also wasn't willing to devote many hours to something as simple as disallowing certain classes/races/archetypes and adding some languages and deities.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 6th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
If we migrate to HLO, do we lose access to HLC? Is access to the two mutually exclusive?
This is covered in the FAQ.
Quote:
Q: If I migrate to Hero Lab Online, can I come back to Hero Lab Classic?
A: You won’t have to leave at all! Even if you migrate to Hero Lab Online, you’ll be able to continue using everything you have in Hero Lab Classic.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old September 6th, 2017, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
This is covered in the FAQ.
Thanks. I either missed that or failed to recall it.
EightBitz is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 6th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljathome View Post
Do you realize how incredibly arrogant this statement is? If we don't like your new plans we're just immature people who react negatively to change?

Its actually quite possible that we're not reacting negatively to change per se, but rather that we have issues with the changes themselves.
It certainly wasn't intended that way. As a gamer myself for over 40 years, and having worked in the gaming industry for nearly 20 years, I consider that statement a simple observation of what I've witnessed. In my extensive experience, gamers, as a whole, don't respond well to change.

I did not intend to offend anyone, nor did I intend to dismiss anyone's concerns lightly. Quite the opposite, in fact. As you stated yourself, my post sought to address many of the concerns that have been voiced and explain the rationale behind our approach.

To you and anyone else that I unintentionally offended by my statement, I apologize.
rob is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 6th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMasterMind View Post
Rob, do you believe that in the future that Lone Wolf devs will be able to build a dynamic maptool that works in conjunction with HLO and Realm Works? I know this would have to wait until alot more work has been done and added to both products and likely more customers invested in both products, but I would love to see such a "software suite"!
We don't have plans to do this ourselves, but definitely stay tuned for more on this very subject in the upcoming months...
rob is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 6th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
If you're creating HLO as an evolution are you taking a hard look at the HL XML and scripting support? HL works great if you use it straight out of the box for a supported game system using every option or with defined options presented in the various sources. However many of us don't do that. The process of getting HL to present to my players only the options allowed in my campaign has simply never worked. I write code for a living and did not go into this expecting it to be simple but I also wasn't willing to devote many hours to something as simple as disallowing certain classes/races/archetypes and adding some languages and deities.
Absolutely. The single worst part of scripting in HL is the UI components. That's been completely redone, from top to bottom. That drawback of doing that is that putting Starfinder on HLClassic would require us to rewrite the UI all over again from scratch - on an arguably inferior platform. And that's why we aren't doing that right now.

In addition, all the game system infrastructure for Starfinder has been massively overhauled. That will make extending and customizing the game system significantly easier for everyone. We can't realistically do this for existing game systems, since that would break all the custom content that's been developed for them. However, Starfinder is a brand new game system, so we have that luxury and have taken advantage of it.
rob is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 6th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talsharien View Post
Does this mean that with the online model custom built content will be shared from the GM's system.
Oops. Somehow I missed this one in my first pass of answering questions here...

That's not the current plan, no. Custom content is expected to be integrated into the master version and keyed to the users who are granted access to it.
rob is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 6th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
but definitely stay tuned for more on this very subject in the upcoming months...
See that's just cruel. Must know what the '...' means

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
pauljathome

Old September 6th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Quote:

To you and anyone else that I unintentionally offended by my statement, I apologize.
Thank you. Apology accepted. I probably overreacted as well and I apologize for that

Last edited by pauljathome; September 6th, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
pauljathome is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 6th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Quote:
We don't have plans to do this ourselves, but definitely stay tuned for more on this very subject in the upcoming months...
Give me a better map tool, not just a subpar replacement for an art program, and you can have even more of my money.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #30 Reply With Quote