Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
I was using StandardDC and abValue5 because it is something that can be edited. Directly on the custom ability panel, rather than having to manually go in and twiddle with tags.
But your logic is not the Pathfinder Standard DC calculations. So isn't it very misleading to use the "StandardDC.?" tags and then override the value?

Yes it is an extra button click to get to the "Tags" on the custom ability. But sense you are doing non-standard logic it makes sense that you are not using the default tags.

Quote:
I was trying to think not just of my coding but other people, for the ease of creating new invocations. Not to mention StandardDC also has options for BAB and other.. moderately useful items. Granted I don't know how to get those to work.
But what do you do when a person has a 7th ability score? Its not standard but a thread on these forums show how to do that. My method would work with the new 7th ability score but yours is hard-coded to only 6. I know doubtful to happen but often a "dynamic" script answer is nicer than a hard-coded if/elseif logic.

There is what "one" Feat in all of Pathfinder that uses BAB to calculate the DC. Yeah not thinking that is high on the list to support.

Quote:
There was also the issue of being able to easily override for undead or overidden attr, characters with the if...else method. Though thats fairly easy to do no matter what method you go with, so thats lesser of an issue.
All methods require the replacing of a Attribute tag. IsAttr.? just won't activate any LW scripts where StandardDC.? does.

Quote:
Is there other benefits to using sLevel.? and IsAttr.?
Well assuming you add a standard abCategory.? code it means writing a custom expression for a foreach loop or feat drop down is super easy. Lets assume your abCategory.? code is WarlockInv.

A custom expression to limit a choice to only level 2 warlock invocations would be:
Code:
component.Ability & abCategory.WarlockInv & sLevel.2
Not only super easy to construct but anyone can read that and pretty much understand what is being selected. It almost does not need any documentation.

If you "really" want to make this all super easy for the next person. Which I have been looking at doing in the Community Pack. You could create a custom component that also inherits all the normal Ability components from LW. Then you could hide your new DC logic in the component and build a custom editor tab for it. That is what I recently did for Psionic Disciplines. Not only do I keep using all of LW logic but I added my own logic that can apply to all new Disciplines created by myself or any editor.

Obviously that is the very advanced way to do things. And a procedure is a good place to start in encapsulating all the logic one time.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:22 PM
If you want to stay with you method and support Ability Focus I would change your script as follows:

Code:
~ This script can run no earlier than Final/11000 or acts weird.
var dcMod as number
var DC as number
var id as string

if (tagis[StandardDC.aSTR] <> 0) then
  dcMod = #attrmod[aSTR]
elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aDEX] <> 0) then
  dcMod = #attrmod[aDEX]
elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aCON] <> 0) then
  dcMod = #attrmod[aCON]
elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aINT] <> 0) then
  dcMod = #attrmod[aINT]
elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aWIS] <> 0) then
  dcMod = #attrmod[aWIS]
elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aCHA] <> 0) then
  dcMod = #attrmod[aCHA]
~ create an embeded if...else to handle undead characters.
elseif (tagis[StandardDC.BAB] <> 0) then
  dcMod = #BAB[]
else
  dcMod = 0
endif

~ abValue5 is the equivilant spell level of the invocation.
DC = 10 + field[abValue5].value + dcMod
DC = round(DC, 0, -1)
field[abDC].value = DC

~ If ability focus has selected us apply a +2 bonus to our DC
if (tagis[Duplicate.AbilFocus] = 1) then
  field[abDC].value += 2
endif

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:14 PM
Your code is much more simiple, it is more efficient and my DC is certainly not a "Standard" DC even if it does follow the normal 10+xx+abil format.

The idea of having the tags to create such custom expressions is highly attractive. And yes, I know not many use BAB, it was just for flexibility that, that looked attactive.

I will take your advice, well, except the part about creating a new component. I dont think I can do that.

As for a 7th ability score, I'd love to be able to have support for that. But, hero labs does not support having a 7th ability score.

So thank you for all your input, again you folks are awesome!
TobyFox2002 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:52 PM
Quote:
As for a 7th ability score, I'd love to be able to have support for that. But, hero labs does not support having a 7th ability score.
Really you sure?

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:24 PM
Wait... wut? When... wuh...

*splutters*

WHOOOHOO!
TobyFox2002 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote