Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old April 30th, 2017, 11:00 PM
I am trying to set up a more efficient way of handling Difficulty Class of invocation spell like abilities. Currently the DCs is hard-coded and doesn't easily allow for user editing of things such as ability mod, and other variables.

I've gotten most of it set up the way I want it, but I've hit a snag where it comes to Ability Focus since the DC is modified after all normal DC calculations are applied the Ability focus doesn't automatically apply the +2 bonus.

Final/12000
Code:
~ This script can run no earlier than Final/11000 or acts weird.
   var dcMod as number
   var DC as number
   var id as string

if (tagis[StandardDC.aSTR] <> 0) then
       dcMod = #attrmod[aSTR]
   elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aDEX] <> 0) then
       dcMod = #attrmod[aDEX]
   elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aCON] <> 0) then
       dcMod = #attrmod[aCON]
   elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aINT] <> 0) then
       dcMod = #attrmod[aINT]
   elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aWIS] <> 0) then
       dcMod = #attrmod[aWIS]
   elseif (tagis[StandardDC.aCHA] <> 0) then
       dcMod = #attrmod[aCHA]
~ create an embeded if...else to handle undead characters.
   elseif (tagis[StandardDC.BAB] <> 0) then
       dcMod = #BAB[]
   else
       dcMod = 0
   endif

~ abValue5 is the equivilant spell level of the invocation.
      DC = 10 + field[abValue5].value + dcMod
      DC = round(DC, 0, -1)
      field[abDC].value = DC

debug "We are using " & tagnames[StandardDC.?] & " with a value of " & dcMod & " for our DC."
debug "Our DC is " & field[abDC].value

doneif (hero.childfound[fAbilFoc].field[usrChosen1].ischosen = 0)
id = hero.childfound[fAbilFoc].field[usrChosen1].chosen.idstring
debug hero.childfound[fAbilFoc].field[usrChosen1].chosen.idstring

hero.child[id].field[abDC].value += 2
When I try and compile this, I get a syntax error. Non-existent thing "id" used by script. It apparently doesnt like me trying to pull the idstring and stuff that into the abDC.

Is this the way I should be handling this, or am I making this needlessly difficult? Any input would be appreciated.

Once that is done, I will take this script and convert it into a procedure call to easily apply it to all invocations.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 1st, 2017, 08:24 AM
No, the child[] operation cannot take a variable.

This is what findchild[] is for.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old May 1st, 2017, 10:53 AM
Alright I have used findchild and this is what I get

Code:
Debug (and the value of id): cDfABaleGe

hero.findchild[BaseCustSp, "thingid." & id].field[abDC].value += 2
debug hero.findchild[BaseCustSp, "thingid." & id].field[abDC].value

For for future reference to anyone who has a similar issue:

They syntax for childfound[] is:
anytransition.findchild[component,"custom expression"].whateverelseyouneed

The component typically starts with the word BaseXXX such as BaseRace or BaseClass or BaseCustSp. And creating the second parameter is the same (or seems to be the same) as a creating custom expressions or foreach loops.

I tried looking on the forums for help, I had to piece this together from like 10 different posts. Hopefully this is helpful for explaining it in non-programese. If I've gotten any of this wrong. Someone hopefully can correct me.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 1st, 2017, 11:44 AM
Why get the id, then have something find the pick with that Id, then assign a bonus to it? Why not follow the .chosen, and just assign a value to it?

Also, a specific discussion of findchild is already available in this thread: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=21663
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old May 1st, 2017, 12:03 PM
Because of the nature of the Custom Ability. The custom ability functions in a similar manner to a spell. That is to say it has a level equivilant so I could not use the built in DC calculator attached to each custom. I had to create my own formula using abValue5 to hold the spell level and create the DC from there.

When I tried to do that normally I would get really funky results with any timing earlier than final/11000. It would double the DC instead of setting it properly to the specific amount I desired. As a result, simply using Ability Focus feat would never apply its bonus because the script I was using was overwritting anything that hero labs was doing. For that reason, I assumed that following the .chosen would also not work.

Furthermore, once I have the script completed and working the way I want, I will change it into a procedure to use for any invocation type custom ability.

Also, I saw that thread, it was one of like ten that I had to use to try and understand findchild.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 1st, 2017, 12:25 PM
This is all I'm suggesting:

Code:
hero.childfound[fAbilFoc].field[usrChosen1].chosen.field[abDC].value += 2
instead of
Code:
hero.findchild[BaseCustSp, "thingid." & id].field[abDC].value += 2
Your explanation seems to be talking about something else.

Also, what happens if there's more than one copy of the ability focus feat on a single character? As written, your script will pick a random one.

And, what happens if this is a monster with an ability focus feat that's pre-assigned with a Target tag?
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 1st, 2017, 12:41 PM
I am with Mathias the you are doing ALLOT of work using findchild for really no reason.

Code:

hero.child[id].field[abDC].value += 2
This is what you had originally. But "hero.childfound[fAbilFoc].field[usrChosen1].chosen" is POINTING to the PICK you want to modify already. You have no reason to then get an idstring to use in findchild to get back to the PICK you already have.

Lets try this way:
hero.childfound[fAbilFoc].field[usrChosen1].chosen - Points to "Evil Eye" in example. A "pointer" means a generic reference to something else in HL. This generic pointer lets you do everything you could do if you had done hero.child[EvilEyeHex]. But instead field[usrChosen1].chosen is the generic pointer/reference to that child Pick.

That means
id = hero.childfound[fAbilFoc].field[usrChosen1].chosen.idstring is going to give the "Unique ID" of Evil Eye which is the Pick. As a pick we know this means Evil Eye is "LIVE" on a character.

So sense you already have a pointer to the Evil Eye Pick just add 2 to the DC field directly:
Code:
hero.childfound[fAbilFoc].field[usrChosen1].chosen.field[abDC].value += 2
That above is all you needed to do. No find child or custom expressions required.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 1st, 2017, 02:04 PM
I have to ask a question here after I was trying to figure out what your script is trying doing. Are you trying to get Ability Focus to add +2 to the Invocation DC that the script is running on?

In example you have a new Invocation called "Shadow". You have your script running on "Shadow" Invocation. The "Ability Focus" feat then selects "Shadow" as the ability to increase the DC by 2. I am pretty sure your desired outcome is that you want to increase the Invocation DC by 2 if the "Ability Focus" feat selects a specific Invocation. Correct? If so your script above will not accomplish that at all.

Currently what you have written will keep increasing the selected ability (which does not have to a Invocation) by 2 for each "Invocation" you add to the character. Not increase the specific Invocation by 2.

So lets say I have a character with the Evil Eye hex. I take Ability Focus (Evil Eye) and I add three Invocations to my character from levels in Warlock. The DC for "Evil Eye" will be increased by 6 but nothing will change on your Invocations DC.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 1st, 2017, 05:05 PM
To help out here is how I would do this logic if it was me.

Pretty much toss out this idea of using the StandardDC.? tag group as it activates component scripts in the background. Instead manually assign the IsAttr.? tag with the ability score you want. Lets assume Cha so you would assign "IsAttr.aCHA" to the Custom Ability.

Then we also need a "level" for these invocations so lets use the Spell Level tag. Assuming a first level invocation you would assign sLevel.1 tag to the Custom Ability.

What is nice about this is that we are not activating any LW component scripts. Meaning we have a DC value of 0. Which is a nice place to start our calculations.

Then we add the following script at Final/12000:
Code:
~ Calc DC with base 10 and the level of the Invocation.
field[abDC].value += 10 + tagvalue[sLevel.?]

~ Set pointer to the ability score associated to the 
~ IsAttr tag group. Then take its final modified bonus 
~ and add to the DC.
field[abDC].value += hero.findchild[BaseAttr,tagids[IsAttr.?]].field[aModBonus].value
The above script calculates the DC based on the tags sLevel.? and IsAttr.? assigned to the Custom Ability.

What is also nice is the "Ability Focus" feat will work without ANY modifications or special handling. It will simply add "+2" to the DC which means adjustments will also work for anyone that wants to add or subtract from the Invocations DC value. This is nice so people can put in there own houserules easily. This is because we are using PLUS logic and not forcing the DC to a specific value. This also allow room for archetypes, feats, magic items, etc to adjust the DC value.

I am also attaching a example of this code I created as a test case. I assigned a new 'Invocation' to the Witch class just so I could get it onto a class as a proof of concept.
Attached Files
File Type: email ~Warlock Invocation.user (747 Bytes, 0 views)

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old May 1st, 2017, 07:57 PM
I was using StandardDC and abValue5 because it is something that can be edited. Directly on the custom ability panel, rather than having to manually go in and twiddle with tags.

I was trying to think not just of my coding but other people, for the ease of creating new invocations. Not to mention StandardDC also has options for BAB and other.. moderately useful items. Granted I don't know how to get those to work. There was also the issue of being able to easily override for undead or overidden attr, characters with the if...else method. Though thats fairly easy to do no matter what method you go with, so thats lesser of an issue.

Is there other benefits to using sLevel.? and IsAttr.?

Either way; this is advancing my tag control by leaps and bounds, so thats a plus. Thank you for your great input sofar. I love all you guys!
TobyFox2002 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote