Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Exmortis

Old August 8th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Good day all,

I have just recently purchased a MS Surface Pro 3, and I will be using it to run hero Lab in our weekly gaming sessions as a player, and as GM aside my laptop which will handle RW.

Purchased specs:
Core i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM, w8.1, + SP3 only mechanical keyboard. I also picked up a UHS-I 533x 32GB MicroSD to use as a data drive. This keeps my data file soff the smallish SSD and allows me lots of space, my OneDrive is also here made usable offline. The new pen is a bluetooth active pen, very very slick device.

Hero Lab usability:
First and foremost I cannot believe how snappy and well HL runs on this little i5 duo core system with only 4GB ram and windows 8.1 Give MS credit w8 is far easier on memory than w7. I own every paizo PF add on, ToH, and run the full CB user files. Its snappy as my full bore i7 quad core lappy (both run SSDs).

The 12' screen is a sweet spot for HL, my friend has the SP2 with the 10.8, and while its good too, the extra screen does help. It is also amazingly crisp, clear and easy to read.

Over all it is the dream HL machine in my opinion, as well as a full bore PC in less than 2lbs.

The issue:
HL does scale on this screen, as it is 2160x1440. First off, cudos to LW developers here, the scaling is near perfect. The text is awesome, and I have noticed so far no readability issues what so ever. But saying that, I have noticed that scaling cuts off the UI summaries. So even though on a 1920x1080 screen all summaries are visable, with my 2160x1440 it ends with "magic Items" Summary if you have the dashboard up (mounts, pets etc.). If you do not have the dashboard up or hide it you regain "Specials" summary. So you lose "In-Play" and "Spellcasting" no matter what, and "Specials" if you have the dashboard up.

Now I hide many of the summary tabs, no need for gear summaries and the like, but if you want them all up and visable they are not. Worse there is no way to "scroll" left/right to see them, in fact its like they are not even there. Only by hiding ones can see others coming into view from the right.

Unless LW solves the screen scaling view issue, this is something you all must be aware of. It could be rather annoying for some people, but again I turn off enough of those UI summaries anyway that I see every one I want. But others may not.

I know HL was not designed with higher resolution screens in mind, heck many apps have similar issues. windows 7 doesnt handle it well, but w8 seems to fine. So LW is not alone here, but I hope movning forward they take some time to fix this, even adding a scroll bar to the bottom would be great!!! I d love to see the abiity to "size" the summaries and have a scroll bar there at the bottom always!

I have not yet loaded RW, I will get to it, and post there if I see any issues.

Bottom line:
Except for this little niggle, I am loving HL on a tablet vs. my 10lb gamer lappy I was hauling around.

The SP3 is not cheap though:
$1050.00cdn for my specs
$120cdn for the mechanical keyboard (its backlit though!!!)
$50cdn for the extra power adapter (handy USB charging port in brick)
$45cdn for the 32GB micro SD card
+13% taxes (yep they stick it to us here)

If I was not a gamer, this with its dock would be fien computer as well. If you buy the i5 or i7 model with the dock you can run two external screens AND the tablet screen! As it is, you get a mini DP port on the talet so ytou can run an external screen with out the dock. You get 1 USB 3.0 port as well as a single headphone jack.

Any how, happy gaming!

*NOTE* I use HL for Pathfinder, which has 10 Summary tabs if you play a spell caster (basics, skills, feats, weapons, armor, gear, magic items, specials, in-play, spellcasting + possible dashboard). Using HL with other game systems will cause your mileage to vary with regards to my info above.
Exmortis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old August 8th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I also forgot to mention I have every PF book as a PDF and often have 3 or 4 loaded up while using HL. Stil runs like a dream, considering the PDFs normal system hoggish nature.
Exmortis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks for sharing this! I'm sure users looking at the MS Surface Pro 3 will find this info very helpful!
liz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 17th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Note, screen scaling is dependent on your windows 8 settings. On my SP3 at default 2x setting, the Configure Hero ui is too large. At 1x or normal no scaling, HL is way to small. Windows 8 is actually handling the scaling, there is no in app scaling.

It does work good but needs improvements for High Density displays and soft keyboards (osk does not respond automatically to input boxes.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
karpomatic

Old September 10th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Reading this thread makes me very happy. I am in the market for a new PC and have determined that the Surface Pro 3 is the way to go for me. Unfortunately, its quite expensive. I'm hoping to pick one up during a holiday sale or shortly after. I use my Dell laptop for HL and RW. I carry very few actual books as most have been replaced by PDF. I hope there are some good sales this holiday season!
karpomatic is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 10th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpomatic View Post
Reading this thread makes me very happy. I am in the market for a new PC and have determined that the Surface Pro 3 is the way to go for me. Unfortunately, its quite expensive. I'm hoping to pick one up during a holiday sale or shortly after. I use my Dell laptop for HL and RW. I carry very few actual books as most have been replaced by PDF. I hope there are some good sales this holiday season!
Heya Karpo!!

I am still happy with my purchase. Funny thing, I took it to a presentation I had to give to my CIO and his executive director, I just showed it as a "FYI" as it was my personal unit. Well needless to say they were so impressed I walked out tasked with writing the business case to make it our national mobile product. Its in and being evaluated, and I am to lead the pre-adopion test team now as well.

The 128GB SSD / 4GB RAM version will save you close to $300 if you can live with the smallish SSD. I do not have alot of apps other than OS/Office so it was fine for me. If it was my main machine how ever I would have gone with 256GB SSD I think. Also I really believe for 99% of the owners the i5 is all you will ever need and the i7 is way to much for so little gain.
Exmortis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
karpomatic

Old September 10th, 2014, 05:54 AM
All I really use my laptop for now is HL, RW, and some surfing. I sit in front of a PC all day for work so I do most of my Office needs there. Google Docs and Drive make up for the small SSD. I've also got a 500 gig drive I carry all my music and books on. I'd really like to know how the Nook app works on it. Trading in 2 devices to 1 is exciting to me but I've never used the app except on my Android phone. Can you check it out for me?

Realm Works Kickstarter supporter
karpomatic is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 10th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Nook app? does it run on Windows?
Exmortis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
karpomatic

Old September 10th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Nook app? does it run on Windows?
Supposedly. That's why I asked you to check it out.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...s-8/379003757/

Realm Works Kickstarter supporter
karpomatic is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 10th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Says it will so I do not see why they would advertise it if it did not. I have an Android tablet that I use as an e-reader, worst purchase I ever made, may as well bought an Icrap. Its an ok product, but Android like IOS is not for me, I need a full Windows device. But since I paid for it, I figured I needed to use it, so I buy them from google Books.

Hence my use and love of the Surface Pro 3. I will say this though, my 8" Samsung tablet is more suited to reading then my SP3, its just the right size for it, and the SP3 a little big. Of course the biggest isue is how few books I read lol, $350 space taker is all it really is now.

if the nook market place is tied to your nook account and not a device, then it should be a good fit.
Exmortis is offline   #10 Reply With Quote