Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bodrin

Old September 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
As far as I know when this has been asked before the answer is we can't. Natural Attacks are part of the CORE files we can't change. Its why I suggested to the OP to rename another Natural Attack as its the best we can do right now. =(
You know, I'm sat at work using an iPhone to type, no access to my systems and I'd spent a good few hours early this morning entering a bestiary creature up to the point that everything worked including bootstrapping a new weapon as a natural attack which works. It just niggled me that I couldn't select or create a New natural attack. So I thought ask the question, never bothered searching the forums first!

My bad.
bodrin is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 8th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Yea no problem.

What was the natural attack you needed? Is it something you could user similar or is it so different that really needs a new one. Just asking as if it is something that comes up allot in monsters it may already by on Mathias to-do list to add something like it.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old September 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Yea no problem.

What was the natural attack you needed? Is it something you could user similar or is it so different that really needs a new one. Just asking as if it is something that comes up allot in monsters it may already by on Mathias to-do list to add something like it.
It's basically a spike attack but no worries bootstrapping a weapon called spikes works just as well. It's annoying not to have it in with the natural attack pick list though!
bodrin is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
frumple

Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
I was playing around with this today as well. Looks like there is the Other Melee and Other Ranged Attacks in the natural attacks. I just used Other Melee Attack and changed its livename to Spines
frumple is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ValaraukarU

Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:54 PM
I think I created a spine attack for one of my critters in Crimson Throne based on the Manticore's spines.
ValaraukarU is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Frumple, you've got the right of it. In Bestiary 3 there were many creatures that had weird new natural attacks and weapon focus or whatever in them. We basically had 3 options.

A - Making a new natural attack for each and cluttering the list.
B - Do the thing ShadowChemosh mentioned, bootstrap a similar attack and rename it (For example, bootstrap Spikes and rename it "Scales" for the Tempest Behemoth) but then you'd have to select the base weapon for weapon focus. Then the User would look at the feats tab and be like "What's up? I thought it was supposed to have Weapon Focus (Scales) instead of Weapon Focus (Spikes)!"
C - Create a mostly blank set of natural weapons the user can bootstrap, rename, and define themselves. This way the weapons list isn't cluttered, and it avoids the confusion of B because if a natural weapon doesn't appear frequently it qualifies as an "Other Natural Weapon" for feats and such. A particular creature is unlikely to have more than one of these anyway.

So obviously we went with C, and now you know why.
Aaron is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Umarian

Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
C - Create a mostly blank set of natural weapons the user can bootstrap, rename, and define themselves. This way the weapons list isn't cluttered, and it avoids the confusion of B because if a natural weapon doesn't appear frequently it qualifies as an "Other Natural Weapon" for feats and such. A particular creature is unlikely to have more than one of these anyway.

So obviously we went with C, and now you know why.
Is this "Other Natural Weapon" coded to only work if you have the B3 supplement, or is it added to the core package somewhere? I am working on inputting some monsters, but just about every other one has a special natural weapon. Up until now I have just been changing the livename, which works, but some of them are being .... difficult.
Umarian is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
You should be able to bootstrap it just fine while creating a new monster race, as you would any natural attack. Be sure to select tags for the Damage type and anything else for a particular example (like range increment if it is a ranged weapon for example).
Aaron is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Thanks for the info about this Aaron. You know this would have been a great thing to put in the Updates note for v6.10.

Also to confirm that these new "Other Natural Weapons" does NOT require B3 data set.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #19 Reply With Quote