Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Greebo

Old November 10th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I will point out that this makes more sense from the way things like Wikipedia does articles on years. Major events in a year may get their own article but the year itself has its own article.
That is, why I do it this way also.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 10th, 2016, 10:40 AM
I'm glad to see the ongoing discussion on dates, events and linkages between them. I've struggled with it for almost two years and every time I just give up. This is frustrating because that means a lot of history is not being recorded or linked very well in my campaign....

What I think I want is events as articles and a simple way to quickly add date info to anything with a timeline that pulls those dates together to create a big picture view and also allows filtering out duplicates. If something is important enough to warrant a date, it should have an article. The stumbling block with this is the inability to just type a date quickly but rather having to use the date-picker which is just tooooooo time consuming when you use dates that span millenia. And the need for timeline refinement.
AEIOU is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 10th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Ultimately a timeline would be useful as a visual tool. The more visual tools the better in my mind.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 10th, 2016, 01:46 PM
There is a timeline view in RealmWorks.

It sorts date values, including start and end dates of Time Periods, so that, for example,

Jan 1 2001 12:00:00 AM - Start of 2001
Feb 28 2001 6:00:00 PM - [in-game event 1 defined]
March 10 2001 9:30:00 AM - NPC 1 death date
Dec 31, 2001 11:59:59 PM - End of 2001

Where these are three Topics ... a Year 2001 TimeSpan topic with begin and end dates defined as Jan 1 2001 12:00:00 AM and Dec 31 2001 11:59:59 PM... an Incident topic with a date time of Feb 28 2001 6:00:00 PM... and an Individual Topic with the date of death filled in as March 10 2001 9:30:00 AM.

One take-away from this is that you don't need to create a specific Incident for everything... the dates you put on your other Topics will appear in the TimeLine view.

Attached is a view of the timeline from my Rise of the Runelords Realm ... with spoilers minimized:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RW-RotRL Timeline.jpg (358.5 KB, 20 views)
Silveras is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 10th, 2016, 04:49 PM
If only it wasn't so tedious to actually record dates....
AEIOU is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 10th, 2016, 05:40 PM
If you are recording dates that are relatively close together, then it isn't so bad (hence my earlier suggestion of trying to "cluster" your date work)... but, if you're entering a list of historical dates in separate months or years, then, yes, it is really painful.

If you're actually tracking dates in-session for the world as they happen, presumably they're pretty close together, and usually sequential. It becomes more painful when you need to add a prior date into the history, of course, but things like a "campaign journal" in which you record events as they occur are not so bad.
Silveras is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 11th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
There is a timeline view in RealmWorks.

[SNIP]

Attached is a view of the timeline from my Rise of the Runelords Realm ... with spoilers minimized:
But those are not Gregorian dates, are they?

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 12th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
But those are not Gregorian dates, are they?

The Realm where I had some dates to show is from my Rise of the Runelords campaign. It was created while the Beta users had access to the calendars, so it happens to have the Golarion calendar as its basis. Because all of the calendars use the same "core", all date/time values should work regardless of calendar used.

And here's one that is using the Gregorian calendar. I put this together just now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RW-RotRL Timeline 2.jpg (253.2 KB, 6 views)
Silveras is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 12th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
The Realm where I had some dates to show is from my Rise of the Runelords campaign. It was created while the Beta users had access to the calendars, so it happens to have the Golarion calendar as its basis. Because all of the calendars use the same "core", all date/time values should work regardless of calendar used.
OK - I got it.

Just wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed something :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #49 Reply With Quote