Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ph11

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hi,

I bought HL and I have some questions for the developer :

Is the support assured in the long term ?
The software still work if you stop to support it ?
Does the program still work if the support is stopped ?
If the computer's identity changes and if there is not possible renewal anymore, those who paid this software can make nothing more with it. It's like DRM's.
If you stop, is there a chance that you free the software ?

I'd like to translate th D20 system in french, how can I do that, it's impossible to edit the different names or attributes.

Sorry for my english. It's not my language.

Regards.
ph11 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Support lasts as long as you own the product. I have had it 2 years now and never had an issue with support. If you change computers just let them know and they will ensure that the new computer is registered, it doesnt cost anything extra.

As for converting the product to french, that can be done through the editor. I would duplicate the current data set for the game system you want to translate, and use it as a test platform. I would then only change the text and not the variables.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ph11

Old August 24th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
Support lasts as long as you own the product. I have had it 2 years now and never had an issue with support. If you change computers just let them know and they will ensure that the new computer is registered, it doesnt cost anything extra.
Thanks for your answer. I wonder what would happen if developers would stop support for various reasons. What would happen if the company went bankrupt ?
Quote:
As for converting the product to french, that can be done through the editor. I would duplicate the current data set for the game system you want to translate, and use it as a test platform. I would then only change the text and not the variables.
I did that yesterday but I couldn't save the modifications. They are in read-only mode. How can I change them in read-write mode ?
ph11 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM
As for a company going out of business, well we have seen that with major companies over the past years. If you bought a TV at Curcuit City does that make the TV useless now?

As for the second question, you need to use the Editor to make changes, or the Authoring kit to create new game systems. There is a lot of information for weach on the Lone Wolf website.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
As for a company going out of business, well we have seen that with major companies over the past years. If you bought a TV at Curcuit City does that make the TV useless now?
Not quite the same thing... Lone Wolf's software requires server authentication to unlock your license, so them going out of business could lock you out of your software. That said, from what I know of them, I would not be surprised if one of their last acts before closing their doors would be to disseminate a patch to allow a copy to stay unlocked.

Quote:
As for the second question, you need to use the Editor to make changes, or the Authoring kit to create new game systems. There is a lot of information for weach on the Lone Wolf website.
He may also be working on data from expansion packs. I know that the Mutants and Masterminds Ultimate Powers datapack has restrictions on making copies of powers from it. I have, from time to time, bypassed the same protections on a case by case basis by copying the power, creating a new one, and then transferring details one by one. A full translation would have to do almost as much work translating the individual fields, so it wouldn't be that much of an issue.
Duggan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 31st, 2010, 02:12 PM
Other people have already answered some of these - thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph11 View Post
Hi,

I bought HL and I have some questions for the developer :

Is the support assured in the long term ?
The software still work if you stop to support it ?
Does the program still work if the support is stopped ?
If you stop, is there a chance that you free the software ?
Lone Wolf Development has been around for over 10 years - we're not going anywhere any time soon.

As an example of our commitment to supporting our software, you can still download and use Army Builder 2 from our web site. This is an obsolete version of Army Builder that has long been superseded by Army Builder 3. However, we still allow licensed users to access and download it, almost 6 years after it became obsolete.

Quote:
If the computer's identity changes and if there is not possible renewal anymore, those who paid this software can make nothing more with it. It's like DRM's.
If you need to transfer your license again before your transfer period has lapsed, our system can typically allow you to do that within a couple of days. The limits are merely in place to ensure that one person doesn't buy one of our products and share it with his 10 best buddies - we're happy to give legitimate users early reassignments.

Quote:
I'd like to translate th D20 system in french, how can I do that, it's impossible to edit the different names or attributes.
Unfortunately we don't currently support translating game systems. It's on our feature list for the future - I'd recommend you keep an eye on the notes from future releases to see if we add it, since it's been on our list for a long time.

Hope this helps!
Colen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote