Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Qkzap

Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:18 PM
I am down right mad at the way the direction of Lone Wolf is going. I have been buying material for years now and have tried to spread the word about the system. This is going to stop. I refuse to use the pay to play type systems. Charging for the material, THEN....THEN....THEN have the audacity to charge to continue using the martial that I bought. Oh, it's just a little bit here and a little there. All I can say is they better make it available to original platform.

I will not make big threats. No, I will just stop my support and stop buying products. The game store I visit will know my feelings and the gaming conventions I go to as well.

I know I am only one, but there is bound to be more with the same feelings as I.
Qkzap is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bruuuuuu

Old February 24th, 2018, 08:14 AM
A thing to remember, before you really get a head of steam up here, is that HeroLab Classic still works just fine. All of the datasets that are currently available for it are still available. LoneWolf have stated no plans to stop developing content for HeroLab Classic and the game systems it supports. If you don't want to have a pay-to-play product, just don't buy it, and continue to use the excellent product(s) that you already have.

At present, the only thing that you won't get, if you don't subscribe to HLO, is Starfinder. We haven't been given any ETA for Pathfinder content in HLO that I know of, and your ability to use the Classic product hasn't been impacted ONE IOTA. If you prefer, you could simply ignore the fact that HLO has been created in the first place, and continue to enjoy your usage of the fine products you have already purchased, even telling others how excellent they are. Even when Pathfinder is released for HLO, they've said that content purchased on one platform will translate to the other, as long as that content has been produced for both. I suspect that it will take a while to get all of the HeroLab Classic Pathfinder content, along with the basics of the rule system itself, converted to a usable form in HLO because there's just so darned much of it (which is part of why we all love the product).

I'm also not thrilled by the ongoing subscription model, but they are planning an offline mode, and I somewhat suspect that we'll eventually see Starfinder content for HeroLab Classic (although I don't believe I've seen this as a specific promise from the company, so don't quote me on that).

While Lonewolf is asking for money for the product at this time, it's quite clear that it's still under heavy development, and I'm viewing my subscription as something akin to getting early beta access. The product really isn't ready for primetime, but I'm not letting that bother me. If it bothers you, you still have HeroLab Classic.
bruuuuuu is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 24th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruuuuuu View Post
..., and I somewhat suspect that we'll eventually see Starfinder content for HeroLab Classic (although I don't believe I've seen this as a specific promise from the company, so don't quote me on that).
They specifically said they're not bringing Starfinder to desktop Hero Lab. (Hero Lab Online FAQ)

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bruuuuuu

Old February 24th, 2018, 02:06 PM
They've stated that Starfinder won't be offered at first, but have left the door open to the possibility later (without making any promises).

From the linked FAQ:

Q: Will Hero Lab Classic support Starfinder.
A: Starfinder is a unique system with various aspects that are much better suited to Hero Lab Online. Heck, that’s why we’re focusing on Starfinder first! Consequently, we will not be offering Starfinder in Hero Lab Classic, at least initially, as it wouldn’t be as powerful or enjoyable to use.
bruuuuuu is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old February 24th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qkzap View Post
I am down right mad at the way the direction of Lone Wolf is going. I have been buying material for years now and have tried to spread the word about the system. This is going to stop. I refuse to use the pay to play type systems. Charging for the material, THEN....THEN....THEN have the audacity to charge to continue using the martial that I bought. Oh, it's just a little bit here and a little there. All I can say is they better make it available to original platform.

I will not make big threats. No, I will just stop my support and stop buying products. The game store I visit will know my feelings and the gaming conventions I go to as well.

I know I am only one, but there is bound to be more with the same feelings as I.
$25 a year is dirt cheap. It's to keep there servers running. If you can't afford it then you probably should find a different hobby that isn't as expensive.
Toblakai is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old February 24th, 2018, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qkzap View Post

There are other people, including myself, who would rather not see a subscription model like this. Lone Wolf knows that not everyone is going to be happy and that some people are going to leave. They also know that some people, including new customers, are going to be excited about the new features and functionality.

That being said, it's going to happen regardless. The harsh reality is that LWD has a financial bottom line. Every company does. They see this as the way forward.

As much as I don't like the change, I don't want to see them go under. So I hope this works out for them.

As far as making things available for the original platform, that's going to happen for games that are currently supported on the original platform. New game systems will not be added to the original platform, but any game that the original platform currently supports will continue to get new content.

And if you use both platforms, you only have to pay for that content once to have it available in both places.
EightBitz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 25th, 2018, 04:27 AM
$25 a year is nothing. I'll pay that for the benefits it will provide. The next day I'll probably blow twice that on junk food which won't give me anywhere near as much satisfaction or enjoyment.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old February 25th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
$25 a year is nothing. I'll pay that for the benefits it will provide. The next day I'll probably blow twice that on junk food which won't give me anywhere near as much satisfaction or enjoyment.
This!

Plus $25/year is a very cheap subscription, I suspect it won't even pay for the costs of maintaining the servers to support this.

I also highly doubt that those who are against subscription services don't already have several of them, i.e. Netflix, cable/satellite, hulu, HBO, a music service, cell phone, etc.
Toblakai is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old February 25th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
This!

Plus $25/year is a very cheap subscription, I suspect it won't even pay for the costs of maintaining the servers to support this.

I also highly doubt that those who are against subscription services don't already have several of them, i.e. Netflix, cable/satellite, hulu, HBO, a music service, cell phone, etc.
I have a cell phone and internet, because they're necessary for job hunting.

The rest is for food and shelter.
EightBitz is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old February 25th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I have a cell phone and internet, because they're necessary for job hunting.

The rest is for food and shelter.
Good luck on the job hunt, my company is in the process of being bought out so I may be in the same boat soon. Losing a job always sucks.
Toblakai is offline   #10 Reply With Quote