Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

jlong05
Volunteer Data File Author

Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old May 18th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
And this is the point that Hockyman68 was trying to make. So we've kind of gone in a circle now. His point was criticized with an argument that gaming, in general, is a necessarily expensive hobby, so if you can afford the hobby, you can afford Hero Lab Online.

My point was that this is demonstrably untrue.

Then your point is again that Hero Lab Online is not cheap. And that closes the circle.
Except the argument made against HLO hasn't been the costs I was referring to when I said it isn't a tool for those looking for a free/low cost option. Licensing costs are always high, which is what I was referring to. Personally the cost of online access and the maintenance fee related to such I find paltry and of little significance. Again. It's barely the cost of a cup of coffee a month.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old May 18th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05 View Post
Except the argument made against HLO hasn't been the costs I was referring to when I said it isn't a tool for those looking for a free/low cost option. Licensing costs are always high, which is what I was referring to. Personally the cost of online access and the maintenance fee related to such I find paltry and of little significance. Again. It's barely the cost of a cup of coffee a month.
Not all of us drink coffee. :-p
EightBitz is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old May 18th, 2018, 08:28 PM
I'm sure there's a few of us that drink more than enough to make up for those of you that don't. <grin>

For me, I like a little bit of coffee in my cup of creamer.

Dave

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old May 18th, 2018, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
I'm sure there's a few of us that drink more than enough to make up for those of you that don't. <grin>

Dave
Yeah. In order for me to "enjoy coffee", I have to dilute it with so much cream and sugar that it's no longer coffee. So what's the point? I'll have a cuppa tea, though. I still like it a bit sweet, but not so much that it covers the taste of the tea.
EightBitz is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old May 18th, 2018, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post

Dave
I like my Mochas personally. But I don't mind an extra shot in it. But black coffee? Nope! I spend at least $50/wk at Starbucks so I make up for some people
Toblakai is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 19th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Gaming isn't a cheap hobby, if you can't afford it you probably should find a different hobby (or a second job).
Really? While you *can* spend a small fortune on special tables, terrain, minis, flat panel displays, VTT and other subscriptions, for the average player and even the average DM it is one of the more inexpensive hobbies. Unless you are trying to compare it to the "hobby" of walking around the neighborhood.

Normally, my argument against those that complain about the cost of gaming services is that it is cheap compared to most hobbies. And you don't need them. You don't need digital tools. But if you want them, they are not that expensive.

But if you are really down on your luck or if you are against paying the price set by the content providers--don't buy it. The PDFs of older editions of many games are available on DTRPG for very affordable prices and there are plenty of low-cost, pay-what-you-want, and free games available on DTRPG.

Gaming is NOT an expensive hobby. The response to people whining about the cost of a book, software, or service is not to tell them to find another hobby, but simply to find a less expensive or free game.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #46 Reply With Quote