Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old June 9th, 2016, 07:42 AM
For maps I create myself, I have a player view that I reveal to players as they explore it and a DM view that I use in the navigation pane to run the game. I have to switch tabs a lot during the game anyway, so that doesn't bother me much. Layers would be nice so that when a secret door is discovered, I could reveal it. But I'm fine with making the player be responsible for remembering, taking notes on, where secret doors are located. It can actually add to the role-play experience. If they are running away from something and have to remember where that secret door was....

A bigger issue for me is with commercial maps. Trying to reveal around things like secrets doors doesn't work. Even if you take the time to carefully mask the secret door or trap indicator, it become obvious that something is there.

Another use for layers may be that I could create multiples masks so that as the players explore, I just remove a layer, revealing the room rather than having to select or draw the reveal area in game.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old June 20th, 2016, 03:41 PM
The latest release has an "upgrade" to smart images - overlays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
...snip
Smart Images and Plots

Probably the biggest thing introduced for smart images is an overlay image. The overlay image allows you to maintain two separate images – one for the players to view and one for the GM’s eyes only. The new image behaves as an overlay, so it can be a transparent layer with only labels and icons that will be superimposed on the primary image. Alternately, it can just be a second version of the image that contains all the extra annotations (e.g. secret doors, traps, etc.). Having the separate GM version of the map makes it vastly easier to view everything you need to run the game while ensuring the players only see what they should. The Player View mechanism only shows the player version of the map, and Player Edition will only ever grant access to the player version as well.

Smart images now provide the option to save the image out to a file. Individual images can be saved, or the composited image (overlay on top of primary image) can be saved. The image file is saved out in the same format that it was originally imported, so if you import a JPEG image, you’ll be able to export it as the original JPEG image.

While not anything complex, we’ve also added a simplification when dealing with smart images and plots. You can now reveal a map pin and its associated topic in a single operation. Similarly, you can now reveal a plot point and its associated topic in a single operation. This will speed things up during play for many users.snip...
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56007

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 21st, 2016, 08:34 PM
Yes, saw this and am excited to test it out. Haven't had a chance yet.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old June 27th, 2016, 05:41 PM
I personally use the maps in RW as kind of a "this is where you have been" thing and I use D20Pro for actual game play. So in RW I generally only put in the player maps, those that don't include secret doors and traps and let my players put in notes for them when they fund them. As for the secret rooms I just dinne don't reveal them until they find them.
Bloodwolf is offline   #24 Reply With Quote