Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you support an enhancement request for user hyperlinks to mini images?
Yes, as soon as feasible 1 33.33%
Yes, but low priority 1 33.33%
No 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

exodite

Old December 1st, 2005, 09:40 AM
I would like an option to enter a hyperlink to an image file for each roster entry so that I can associate each roster entry with a specific mini (or unit of minis) within my collection.

Ideally, there would be a user interface option to display hyperlink images while editing rosters and an output option to include hyperlink images in printed rosters.

I think this would be great for inclusion in the planned inventory management feature.

I originally posted this in your old Yahoo Groups forum for AB3 requests and got positive feedback from a Lone Wolf rep, thus I was hopeful it would be included. The manufacturer image link is a great idea, but restricting input to data file authors has potential drawbacks. One, manufactures can reorg their image files, making a data file entry obsolete. Two, if a mainstream user wants to select a different image than a "public domain" data file author, said user will have to customize the "public domain" data file everytime an update is published, effectively limiting data file reuse.

I realize their are technical issues inherent in incorporating images of unknown size into displays and print outs. One possible implementation would be to resize images (maintaining aspect ratios) to fall witihin specific parameters and output them into uniformly sized frames throughout a given roster (ideally frame size could be customized to accomodate user preference/ink budget).

Since my original Yahoo post was subjected to some scorching, potential flamers please understand these features are intended to be optional (i.e. you don't have to use them if you don't want to).

I think this enhancement will be especially helpful for squad level games like Necromunda, where each roster entry is represented by a specific mini. When my friends and I play a campaign, my roster tends to change after each game (usually faster than my mini collection is likely to adjust), so I usually end up penciling in mini descriptors like "Guy with lasgun pointing up" before each game. This enhancement would also come in handy for casual players in army games, because not everyone is able to associate a given type of mini with its game equivalent on sight (and that assumes you are blessed enough to have a mini collection that can WYSIWG everything, avoiding the occasional substitution).

I look forward to feedback.
exodite is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
This is something we definitely have on our todo list for the future. Where this will truly be valuable is in conjunction with inventory tracking capabilities. That's another thing that we've got mapped out for AB, but it's a LOT of work, so our first priority is to get AB fleshed out with all the core functionality and flexibility that everyone needs. After that, we can start working on really cool enhancements like inventory and user images.

Thanks, Rob

At 10:40 AM 12/1/2005, you wrote:

Quote:
I would like an option to enter a hyperlink to an image file for each roster entry so that I can associate each roster entry with a specific mini (or unit of minis) within my collection.

Ideally, there would be a user interface option to display hyperlink images while editing rosters and an output option to include hyperlink images in printed rosters.

I think this would be great for inclusion in the planned inventory management feature.

I originally posted this in your old Yahoo Groups forum for AB3 requests and got positive feedback from a Lone Wolf rep, thus I was hopeful it would be included. The manufacturer image link is a great idea, but restricting input to data file authors has potential drawbacks. One, manufactures can reorg their image files, making a data file entry obsolete. Two, if a mainstream user wants to select a different image than a "public domain" data file author, said user will have to customize the "public domain" data file everytime an update is published, effectively limiting data file reuse.

I realize their are technical issues inherent in incorporating images of unknown size into displays and print outs. One possible implementation would be to resize images (maintaining aspect ratios) to fall witihin specific parameters and output them into uniformly sized frames throughout a given roster (ideally frame size could be customized to accomodate user preference/ink budget).

Since my original Yahoo post was subjected to some scorching, potential flamers please understand these features are intended to be optional (i.e. you don't have to use them if you don't want to).

I think this enhancement will be especially helpful for squad level games like Necromunda, where each roster entry is represented by a specific mini. When my friends and I play a campaign, my roster tends to change after each game (usually faster than my mini collection is likely to adjust), so I usually end up penciling in mini descriptors like "Guy with lasgun pointing up" before each game. This enhancement would also come in handy for casual players in army games, because not everyone is able to associate a given type of mini with its game equivalent on sight (and that assumes you are blessed enough to have a mini collection that can WYSIWG everything, avoiding the occasional substitution).

I look forward to feedback.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote