Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Parody

Old September 2nd, 2018, 01:16 PM
4th Edition had Living Forgotten Realms, which (IIRC) had some popularity around here. I didn't play 4e, though I still have the main books somewhere.

Both PFS and D&D AL are going well here. I expect AL is gaining players and PFS/SFS/ACG/PFS2 Playtest are slowly losing them along with the splintering.

Regular updates of some kind are good, and I would prefer if they weren't primarily on social media. I don't think they need to do monthly Kickstarter posts of "nothing's changed, see you in 30 days" though; that just becomes noise and makes it more likely you won't pay attention when something does change.

Parody is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 2nd, 2018, 02:15 PM
Chicago's main PFS location for PFS basically got wiped while DDAL at the same location on the same night went from nothing to 10 or 12 tables in the course of about 2 years.

Some of that was the store clerks steering no players to DDAL, some of that was people simply be more familiar with D&D as a brand and some of that was some very toxic players in the local PFS groups. Our local venture officers were some of the least competent organizers and managers of an organization I've ever dealt with. We had 2 people who have been banned or kicked out of multiple gaming groups, including my own home game and several other home games that I'm aware of. They claimed that the store forbid them from banning them. When it got the point that the PFS tables weren't making they tried joining the DDAL tables. The DDAL organizer straight told them in front of numerous people they were not welcome and he would cancel any signup they made on warhorn in the future. The store said not a word.

As to updates, regular updates, as long as they are honest, even of the we have nothing substantially new to report means that that they are at least still devoting some time and effort on us. The situation from the spring and early summer made a lot of people very angry. It wasn't just the complete radio silence. It was bug reports that simply vanished into a black hole not even the automated reply that it had been received, I personally sent in at least a dozen from when I was working on the community realm that simply went into the void. It was the multi months long stall waiting for Paizo without any other patches. No one can tell that time was well spent. Rob was ill, I understand and accept that. Whatever other developers were working on RW should have accepted that they were pounding their heads against a brick wall and directed their efforts instead at bug fixes and minor feature updates until Paizo delivered from their end. A couple of QoL and bug fix patches would have made the entire community so happy that there is no way we'd where we are now.

And no, they definitely should not be on FB or twitter. I have a FB account that I only use for business purposes. I keep my personal life off FB and increasingly everyone I know does as well. I've never used twitter. The only person I know who ever uses twitter is my company's social media rep. This forum is advertised as LWD's official presence on the web so the should post any updates here or through email. They went to the effort of harvesting all of our emails after all.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw

Last edited by kbs666; September 2nd, 2018 at 02:24 PM.
kbs666 is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old September 2nd, 2018, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I haven't played 5e, but I'm guessing that its growth in popularity has been due to a back-to-basics approach, whereas with PF1, people are suffering from crunch fatigue. I know nothing about PF2.

That's just my guess, though.
I have been following the playtest quite closely even though our group has decided to stay on PF1.
pF2 is a small step in the direction to stem the tide against 5e, but it’s not there yet, and may never do as they have tweaked a lot of stuff but it hasn’t gone far enough and have introduced mechanics that haven’t balanced well.... but I digress.
Our group has being playing 5e and we like it, it’s just a tad too basic for us so remaining on pf1 for now. We worked out that if we played every AP at our current rate, will be all long and turned to dust or at least senility has kicked in, and we can play them over again, before we have played them all (about 30 years at last count)... so the old grey mare has a bit of life in her yet.
So please put the PF1 content in... all of it... I may sway the other GMs in our group to the dark side
Happydevil43 is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 3rd, 2018, 12:24 AM
23 at least announced PF1 AP's. I'm guessing considering Return of the Runelords ends in 7 months that the first PF2 AP will start then with ReturnotRL serving as the capstone of the PF1 AP's.

I've run RotRL several times and I cannot imagine it taking less than a year to complete unless you go for marathon 8 or 10 hour game sessions. The same goes for all the AP's I'm familiar enough with to run, Skull and Shackles, Jade Regent, Wrath of the Righteous and Giantslayer, which I'm guessing means they all are about the same length.

So that's more than enough published material to last any GM for a lifetime.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old September 3rd, 2018, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
23 at least announced PF1 AP's. I'm guessing considering Return of the Runelords ends in 7 months that the first PF2 AP will start then with ReturnotRL serving as the capstone of the PF1 AP's.

I've run RotRL several times and I cannot imagine it taking less than a year to complete unless you go for marathon 8 or 10 hour game sessions. The same goes for all the AP's I'm familiar enough with to run, Skull and Shackles, Jade Regent, Wrath of the Righteous and Giantslayer, which I'm guessing means they all are about the same length.

So that's more than enough published material to last any GM for a lifetime.
We take about 1.5 to 2 years to finish an AP. We never finished ROTRL, which I would like to go back and do, but everybody still remembers everything, so we need to wait till old age creeps in

We have played Mummy's Mask and Shatter Star and Giant Slayer in the past 4 years.... so we should all be gaming round the nursing home for many years to come, and still arguing about the Grapple Rule.
Happydevil43 is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 3rd, 2018, 03:47 AM
I had some small hope that PF2 would fix combat maneuvers but all they did was change access to some of them. It was an utter and miserable failure on the part of Paizo and when I knew they really weren't serious about improving PF as a game system.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old September 3rd, 2018, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I had some small hope that PF2 would fix combat maneuvers but all they did was change access to some of them. It was an utter and miserable failure on the part of Paizo and when I knew they really weren't serious about improving PF as a game system.
Yup.

The killer for us was resonance - Level+Cha bonus and need to use one everytime you drank a potion or used a wand.... There is hope that things will change before final printing, but I doubt it.

Wait for the new rulebook Pathfinder 2nd edition - Fixes for all the things we ****ked up on.
Happydevil43 is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 3rd, 2018, 02:41 PM
Nope. They quite proudly announced that there were no reports of problems with resonance from the phase 1 playtest, despite the forum being full of such.

I imagine that soon enough FGG or someone like that will release a real spiritual successor to PF1 as Paizo released the real spiritual successor to D&D 3.5 and Paizo will quietly either fix their problems or go the that great game design studio in the sky.

my Realm Works videos

Last edited by kbs666; September 3rd, 2018 at 02:44 PM.
kbs666 is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old September 5th, 2018, 11:53 PM
Maybe the people in those forum posts didn't bother to do the survey?
Mystic Lemur is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old September 6th, 2018, 06:00 AM
What?!?!

No company would choose its priorities by using the results of a broad survey rather than the dedicated users in their forums.

That's absurd!
MaxSupernova is offline   #40 Reply With Quote