Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

adzling

Old January 20th, 2016, 06:11 AM
haha nice improvisation Pollution!

The first, el-cheapo one I bought had such huge Parallax we had to do what you guys do. Which was a pain for us.

Then I found one of the edge-lit ones, *much* thinner than the new rear-array lit ones and ZERO parallax.
adzling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kraegar

Old January 21st, 2016, 06:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies, this is very helpful!

I like the tv / projector ideas, but since I have so much dwarven forge, I'll be sticking with that. I'll be picking up Realm Works as soon as the 5e support is released for it.
kraegar is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 21st, 2016, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraegar View Post
I'll be picking up Realm Works as soon as the 5e support is released for it.
Realm Works doesn't really have support for any particular system. It is HeroLab which requires lots of data files to be created for 5e.

RW is mostly system agnostic, so can be used for creating campaigns in any game system whatsoever without requiring additional add-ons.
Farling is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
kraegar

Old January 21st, 2016, 10:36 AM
Ah, ok. I just saw the title that Realm Works would be supporting 5e and assumed there would be tie in to rules of some sort. Already planning the hero lab 5e license when it's out.
kraegar is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old January 21st, 2016, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraegar View Post
Thanks for all the replies, this is very helpful!

I like the tv / projector ideas, but since I have so much dwarven forge, I'll be sticking with that. I'll be picking up Realm Works as soon as the 5e support is released for it.
I have the same problem with having a lot of Dwarven Forge. I got it at a great price (one of the advantages of owning a game store) since it was traded in to us but I find that we have to stand up to use it easily and it just takes too much time to set up.

I'm thinking about the flat TV solution but I wonder about the viability of it long term due to damage to the TV caused by it laying that way.
Gord is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 21st, 2016, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I'm thinking about the flat TV solution but I wonder about the viability of it long term due to damage to the TV caused by it laying that way.
Use a cheap flat screen TV :-)
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:14 AM
Been using ours for over a year no issues.
As long as you don't block the vents you should be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I have the same problem with having a lot of Dwarven Forge. I got it at a great price (one of the advantages of owning a game store) since it was traded in to us but I find that we have to stand up to use it easily and it just takes too much time to set up.

adzling is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 27th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post
we have a rule where during combat (or any initiative based scene) everyone needs to stand up.
It also has the result of the combats going faster. When you're standing, you tend to pay more attention and the players tend to be faster at their decision making.
Brilliant!

New house rule for my next campaign.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kraegar

Old January 28th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Got my Dwarven forge city set... no way am I giving this stuff up for a TV screen. There's just something about seeing things in 3d that really pulls players in, helps them think as if they were there, rather than as a gamer looking at a map.
kraegar is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Micco

Old January 30th, 2016, 05:19 AM
I like the standing idea. We did that at our annual four day game fest since the cabin we rented had a perfectly sized side table for a combat map (and the kitchen table was too small for everything.) Combat at the geek fest was much more exciting and interesting, but I never associated it with standing.

We use the monitor as a map (using Fantasy Grounds) and I think it works well...usually. From time to time the technology gets in the way and it is quite the pain, however. I've been see-sawing between old-school and new-school for a year or two. We used MapTools and minis for a while, but have found that the advantages of modern VTTs using on-screen pogs outweighs the tactile advantages of minis now. There are lots of advantages to the new-school approach using VTTs when it works well. So I'll keep working on perfecting a system that aids gameplay without becoming distracting.

I use Fantasy Grounds to keep track of the 'live' game-state and RealmWorks to keep track of the archival game-state and the world-state. I wish there was an easy (and dynamic) link between them, but it's workable as-is.

I think I'm going to implement the standing rule and see if it keeps everything moving faster and players more engaged.
Micco is offline   #20 Reply With Quote