Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Paragon

Old February 28th, 2017, 07:11 PM
I'm in the process of putting together a .stock file for the Broken Earth creatures so I can use the encounter builder with it, and I've gotten an error message on one (the BE "dragon", which is a mutated flightless eagle with pyrokinetic powers). I got three duplicates of the following error message:

"Attempt to access nonexistent child pick 'resPowers' from script
Location: 'eval' for Component 'Power' (Eval Script #2) near line 3"

I'm not recognizing where I'd even be finding this (since the "res" prefix doesn't seem to relate to any components in SW that I can find. And a search in the .user file doesn't seem to find that phrase at all.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Paragon; February 28th, 2017 at 07:45 PM.
Paragon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 1st, 2017, 03:30 AM
I believe "res" is just Resource and, based on naming, "resPowers" would be a reference to something in one of the core files, not your own. Perhaps if you would post the eval script(s) you have on that creature we could try to help out finding the problem?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 1st, 2017, 06:10 AM
That's the kicker; it doesn't have an eval script on the creature itself. There's one on the Racial Ability that gives it the psionic powers it has, but that's just a bit of code to give it power points:

Code:
#trkmax[trkPower] += 20
So I'm puzzled about where this can be even coming from.

Let me list the whole dragon entry, and see if anything seems off (as far as I can tell, nothing popped an error when I first put it together, so unless the code got damaged along the way or something changed, I don't get this):

Code:
<thing id="creBEDrag" name="Dragon (Broken Earth)" description="Dragons were in fact once bald eagles that were mutated by a cocktail of radiation and escaped viruses, including the Extreme Radiation Resistance virus, a virus meant to induce pyrokinetic powers, and probably a few others. \nThe result is a giant flightless and featherless bird that looks much like the dinosaurs of old. \nThe  dragon  retained  its  ancestor’s  powerful  beak, which can easily tear its foes apart. However the power that  inspires  the  dragon’s  name  is  actually  its  psionic ability  to  create  blasts  of  fire.  (Most  people  believe  it \nbreaths fire, but this is not strictly true.) Possibly because of  the  ERR  virus,  this  fire  is  also  radioactive,  and  any exposed to it risk radiation poisoning." compset="Creature" uniqueness="unique">
    <fieldval field="crePace" value="8"/>
    <usesource source="BrEarth"/>
    <tag group="SpiDie" tag="5"/>
    <tag group="StrDie" tag="9"/>
    <tag group="VigDie" tag="6"/>
    <tag group="AgiDie" tag="4"/>
    <tag group="User" tag="Wildcard"/>
    <tag group="SmaDie" tag="3"/>
    <bootstrap thing="skFighting">
      <autotag group="SkillDie" tag="6"/>
      </bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="skNotice">
      <autotag group="SkillDie" tag="6"/>
      </bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="skPsionics">
      <autotag group="SkillDie" tag="5"/>
      </bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="abArmor">
      <assignval field="abilValue" value="2"/>
      </bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="abWeapon">
      <autotag group="WeaponDie" tag="4"/>
      <assignval field="livename" value="Bite"/>
      </bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="abBEExRaR"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="abBEPDra"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="abBERadFi"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="abSize">
      <assignval field="abilValue" value="3"/>
      </bootstrap>
    </thing>
Just in case the problem is in the psionics trait (which I'd think might be the case, but nothing looks wrong), it looks like this:

Code:
<thing id="abBEPDra" name="Psionics (Dragon)" description="Dragons have 10 power points and know the following powers: {i}burst, blast and damage field{/i}." compset="RaceAbil" uniqueness="unique">
    <fieldval field="shortname" value="Psionics"/>
    <tag group="User" tag="Creature" name="Creature" abbrev="Creature"/>
    <bootstrap thing="powDispel"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="powStun"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="powBurst"></bootstrap>
    <eval phase="PreTraits" priority="5000">#trkmax[trkPower] += 20</eval>
    </thing>
Paragon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 1st, 2017, 06:16 AM
It occurs to me that this could be related to the fact that Broken Earth uses a non-standard variation of Psionics, so the normal one is precluded, but I can't see where the way I've given the dragons psi powers even interacts with that, since the individual powers aren't precluded. It should also be noted that when I do a test with the Dragon entry, it doesn't throw any errors in the editor.
Paragon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 1st, 2017, 11:53 AM
Ok, so resPowers is defined in core thing_miscellaneous.dat file where it explains it as follows (in part):

Code:
  <!-- Powers resource to track the number of arcane powers granted to the character -->
  <thing
    id="resPowers"
    name="Arcane Powers"
    compset="Resource"
    panellink="arcane">
The only things I see on your dragon entry are for abBEExRaR, abBEPDra, and abBERadFi, so we might have to see those items to dig further. Nothing on the main dragonentry you have even references abBEPDra. If that AB is defined with 3 boostrapped powers, though, presumably you would need to cover the starting powers as 3 instead of the usual 1 with that.

Something is telling you the problem is in creBEDrag, though, right? Which means your error in the the first post isn't complete. Can you let us know what the error line is that mentioned creBEDrag?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 1st, 2017, 01:04 PM
It was just a guess because it only happened when I imported the BE Dragon as a race for the base of a creature (as I was doing a set of creature portfolios for each one). Since the prior two I'd just done didn't trigger that, and the Dragon has some powers, I assumed it had something to do with that.

IAbBEPDra is listed up above, but here's all three of the bootstraps (I can't see why the others would be relevant for reasons that will be obvious, but what the hey):
Code:
<thing id="abBEExRaR" name="Extreme Radiation Resistance" description="Dragons  are immune to all but the strongest forms of radiation.   They gain a +4 bonus to Vigor tests to resist radiation." compset="RaceAbil">
    </thing>
  <thing id="abBEPDra" name="Psionics (Dragon)" description="Dragons have 10 power points and know the following powers: {i}burst, blast and damage field{/i}." compset="RaceAbil" uniqueness="unique">
    <fieldval field="shortname" value="Psionics"/>
    <tag group="User" tag="Creature" name="Creature" abbrev="Creature"/>
    <bootstrap thing="powDispel"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="powStun"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="powBurst"></bootstrap>
    <eval phase="PreTraits" priority="5000">#trkmax[trkPower] += 20</eval>
    </thing>
  <thing id="abBERadFi" name="Radioactive Fire" description="All  the  powers  used  by  dragons have a radioactive fire trapping. Any creature in the area of one of the dragon’s psionic powers must also make a Vigor test or suffer a level of Fatigue. Characters incapacitated by Fatigue suffer permanent radiation sickness, a Long-Term Chronic, Minorly Debilitating disease (see core rulebook)." compset="RaceAbil">
    </thing>
Paragon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 1st, 2017, 03:03 PM
Hmm... would you mind sending me a copy of the file? zarlor at acm dot org. I can see if I get the same error.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old March 1st, 2017, 04:10 PM
You have to have an arcane background to be able to have powers (the tab that appears where you pick powers). You cannot add powers without that. You need to bootstrap your psionic arcane background.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 1st, 2017, 04:46 PM
Huh. I wonder why it doesn't throw an error in the editor then.

Sure enough, too, that was it. Thanks, SeelyOne.

Last edited by Paragon; March 1st, 2017 at 04:57 PM.
Paragon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 1st, 2017, 05:00 PM
By the by, does anyone know if there's a way to pre-specify the Trappings on a power you've bootstrapped?
Paragon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote