Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:11 PM
So, I have a Choosetable in place to allow a user to select backgrounds or command packages, as follows:

The thing is, I currently only have one branch of the options in place. How do I best set it up so that when a player chooses a Command Package or a Background, they can select between the alternatives? Should I be doing a gizmo that attaches certain choices to the background or command package? And what's the best way to set up alternates so that they can be edited by the user? Currently, the changes are set up in an eval script (which precludes choices). Should I set it up as tags? Nothing goes above a +2, but they cover a fair gamut of skills, and of course users might choose to implement more. Maybe an array of fields?

In addition, some of the backgrounds or command packages offer a choice, perhaps adding a "+1 to a Combat skill". I have the tags in place such that I can identify the list of combat skills, but I will need to be able to provide a choice between the 10 combat skills in that case.

Ideally, I'd like to set it up that the user choose a package (background or command) and then there be a series of choices (or statements) of the bonuses. I suppose I could do it a bit like 4E racial traits, by adding custom tags that are keyed to sets of two values, but that seems like it would be inflexible if they list of skill bonuses gets expanded.

If you'd like, I can rough up a UI to show how it might look with the current interface, albeit not dynamically populated.
Attached Images
File Type: png BG.png (224.8 KB, 37 views)
Duggan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Have you found the UserSelect component in components.core, and its corresponding sample display in visual.dat? That sounds like what you need.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 20th, 2017, 07:37 PM
As per here, I wound up re-using some code from D&D 4E although I'm still fiddling with trying to make it work better.
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote