Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Shadowfoot

Old August 26th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Is there any plans to make the Encounter Builder available on an iPad?
Shadowfoot is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old August 27th, 2017, 03:45 PM
+1

While I think it would be great, I would assign it a lower priority than some other iPad features (like a generic die roller for spell damage, or a gear value chart broken down by creature doing the carrying).

I do have the large iPad Pro on my shopping list in Sept so I will probably want landscape mode sooner instead of later as well!
Azhrei is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old August 28th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Well if Herolab was made in java, then everyone would have that cross-platformy goodness....in java.....java..... :'(

Actually I am not sure exactly how Herolab is coded (thinking C+), but yeah I do agree all the aforementioned features would be grand. Even better if it worked for all mobile platforms, but I digress.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 28th, 2017, 07:22 AM
There are two main issues with adding this to the iPad. The first is that the collection of stock portfolios adds size to the app - on iPads, that's a much more limited resource than storage size on a desktop computer. And we couldn't set up an optional download - all copies of the app would need to include the entire encounter builder, or none.

The second issue is RAM - iPads have a lot less memory than a desktop computer, and iOS's response to running out of RAM is to just close the offending program, with no error message to say why - which gets reported to us as our program crashing. Adding even a moderate-sized encounter is not an option on older iPads, because every character in the active portfolio has to be stored in memory while the portfolio is open.

The work-around is to create saved portfolios of the monsters you'll want to use from your desktop, and transfer them to the iPad, so you'll have them ready to go when you need them.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Shadowfoot

Old August 28th, 2017, 09:32 PM
That's disappointing. I'd be happy with a seperate app on my iPad Pro. I would also be happy with needing an online connection to use. Is there any chance you will have a web app in the future? One which is touch enabled allowing use on an iPad.
Shadowfoot is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old August 29th, 2017, 05:39 PM
They're planning on Hero Lab Online, so this would be nice...
Azhrei is offline   #6 Reply With Quote