Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Card Vault Forums > Card Vault

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Warlord_Kharn
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5
Send a message via AIM to Warlord_Kharn Send a message via Yahoo to Warlord_Kharn

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:19 PM
When writing a new definition file for a game I want to input into CV I get the following message when trying to open the CVEdit to add data:

diskwars.def - 1 - Expected start of element tag.
Error in definition file for specified game system - unable to continue!

Here are the first 3 lines of the def file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<document signature="Card Vault Definition">
<game game="Disk Wars" publisher="Fantasy Flight Games" website="www.fantasyflightgames.com"/>

I'm not sure what the problem is as I use Adobe Dreamweaver to edit data and def files and it is not indicating any errors in the files I am adding/updating. Also when I am trying to open another file I have written/edited CV crashes. There seems to be no errors in that file as well.

Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.
Warlord_Kharn is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Cullyn
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Elyria, OH
Posts: 74
Send a message via AIM to Cullyn Send a message via Yahoo to Cullyn

Old July 28th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Thread resurrection cast! I had just run into this problem and as it turns out the cause was the XML editor that I was using. If all I did with XML Copy was add and delete a space then save the file, it would break the .def file with the above error.

If I used Notepad or Notepad ++, it worked fine. Live and learn.
Cullyn is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 984

Old August 4th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Hey @Cullyn, thanks for flagging this! I'm pointing the Lead Developer to this thread so he can see what you discovered.
liz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,690

Old August 8th, 2015, 11:24 AM
I believe you need to make sure your XML editor isn't adding a BOM - a Byte Order Marker - at the start of the file. If it does, that's going to mean Card Vault can't parse the file. If you remove the BOM or don't add it in the first place, it should work without a problem.

Hope this helps!
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.