Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 16th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I fully expect to have to make them in something else but I want to manage them in RW. I want to manage everything related to my campaign in RW.
FYI, you can embed literally ANYTHING within RW via a "foreign object" snippet. There are various content types RW knows about that will be most often used for situations like this (e.g. Rich Text documents). But you can add whatever you want. The only requirement is that you'll need the appropriate program on your computer to actually view/edit the contents of the "foreign object".
rob is offline   #91 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old November 16th, 2015, 07:01 PM
It is astonishing that this thread is more than 1.5 years old and still nothing has changed. Printing is definitely a necessity for me. If I'd known there is no print capability I probably wouldn't have bought RW at all. My fault that I didn't check the forum first.
I agree with many users here that it is not desirable to use computers or tablets at the gaming table.
If IP of paid content from third party suppliers is the main issue, why not just make realms with IP content unprintable and leave the other, selfmade realms alone? I'm probably never going to buy something from a content market since like many others here I create adventures and gaming world myself. I did spend quite some money for HL Pathfinder stuff, which now that we've switched to D&D5e turns out to be a worthless investment, and that is enough experience of that kind for me.

So, if printing capablities are still on the road map, please give us some kind of indication of when we will arrive at the end of that particular road.
wurzel is offline   #92 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 16th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Next month.
AEIOU is offline   #93 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 16th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Next month there will be an announcement about the content market, that's all we know. There has been no representation by LWD that printing will be available next month. It would be great if this turns out to be the case, but given that we know the CM will be rolled out in phases, I doubt we'll see printing by the end of the year. Hope to be wrong on this, but if we say "next month," we will have to read angry "where is it" comments next month.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #94 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old November 17th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Yes, lock-in sucks. But that is not LWD's intention. The developers have made it clear that they are facing very challenging technical and legal issues to ensure export of content while protecting content-creator IP. In order to get this functionality properly coded they needed the CM up and running. Rob and Liz have explained the challenges in detail. I expect printing will come before export.
Good to know! I wasn't sure since a fair amount of time has passed since the software's release (and I'd assumed that such features would have been here by now). I have a bit of an attitude about software that locks users and their data into a proprietary solution (not letting people get their data back out). I'm finally starting to really use the software to do some world-building. I'm getting a fair amount of data into Realm Works and want to make sure that I'll be able to get it back out in the future (without duplicating all the work I'm putting in).

I don't want to seem too harsh on a software package that I REALLY DO like, but I also don't want to mince words on this particular topic - this is the sort of thing that really makes or breaks a software package for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
An intermediary solution might be the free player-view Web access. But it is not clear at this point how content limitation on the free view will work. Still, I expect that you could open a topic or article in the Web application using your GM account and print the page from your browser
Yeah, if I can get the data to pop in in a web browser, I should be able to use that. I'm curious to see how that works out.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #95 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 17th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Content market and web presentation are likely tied to one another. I reckon they need the web component to market and monitor. So they will release together or right after one another. And I think web will need to be first so I stand by my prediction of basic printing next month.

If printing doesn't materialize, people need to get angry at me as LWD hasn't discussed printing much less release date announcements. I'm just connecting the dots, looking for patterns and I am fully aware that sometimes the tea leaves aren't infallible.
AEIOU is offline   #96 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 17th, 2015, 02:11 PM
The only thing committed for "next month" at this point is additional information in announcements, as far as I know.
Silveras is offline   #97 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old January 1st, 2016, 12:53 AM
Same here !

I bought RW because it would be brought to Mac (my laptop is a mac and I take my laptop when I play). Since it never happened (and is a very long way before I get it to work on the mac), I would like, at least be able to print so I have my world on paper.
Vampyre is offline   #98 Reply With Quote
LeeSmith

Old February 7th, 2016, 12:48 AM
When will this be added? Seems there are a lot of requests for this. Can it be "bumped up"?
LeeSmith is offline   #99 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old March 11th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Post edited by staff for flagrant violation of forum rules

Please add printing.

Last edited by rob; March 12th, 2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Forum rules violation
adzling is offline   #100 Reply With Quote