Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Fyrhtu

Old January 4th, 2020, 05:59 AM
My DM uses a custom point buy system for stat generation - is there a way to add my own point buy system, or will I have to just manually generate then use the select stats method?
Fyrhtu is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 4th, 2020, 08:01 AM
Yes, in the editor, in the General section, Mechanics tab, create a new Mechanic, and select "Attribute Cost Mechanics" as the "Overrides..." selection. Then, enter the new costs in the "Attribute Cost Table". Then, add a source to your Mechanic. Once you've saved your mechanic, the attribute costs will be overridden, as long as that source is checked.

Note that with mechanics, "Test Now!" will work the very first time, but if you have to edit things later, you'll have to go back to the main program and use "Quick Reload Data Files" from the Develop menu.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Fyrhtu

Old January 4th, 2020, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Yes, in the editor, in the General section, Mechanics tab, create a new Mechanic, and select "Attribute Cost Mechanics" as the "Overrides..." selection. Then, enter the new costs in the "Attribute Cost Table". Then, add a source to your Mechanic. Once you've saved your mechanic, the attribute costs will be overridden, as long as that source is checked.

Note that with mechanics, "Test Now!" will work the very first time, but if you have to edit things later, you'll have to go back to the main program and use "Quick Reload Data Files" from the Develop menu.
Not sure if I'm missing something; went to the Hero Lab Editor, wasn't sure what file so selected rizza.user from the pathfinder folder it was defaulting to?
Added a Mechanic, Point Buy: Test, gave it a description and the summary was the same Point Buy: Test title, selected Attribute Cost Mechanics, edited the table with 1's down the line (His system is 14 point buy, 1 point per attribute point no matter the number,) left the Point-Buy Attribute Minimum and Maximums blank since he also prefers 7 and 18, hit Save, Test Now - couldn't see that in the attribute generation dropdown in the Ctrl+K window, so selected Quick Reload Data Files, and it's still not there?
Fyrhtu is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lord Magus

Old January 16th, 2020, 03:23 AM
Did you add a source to it? Otherwise it won't show up in the Ctrl-K window.
Lord Magus is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 16th, 2020, 07:16 AM
Don't enter "1" everywhere - enter the total cost for an attribute of that value in each row.

In terms of showing up in the first place, Lord Magus already covered that part, and pay attention to which header you're putting your source under - don't just assign it to the default location, or it won't be among the point-buy settings.
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old January 17th, 2020, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrhtu View Post
My DM uses a custom point buy system for stat generation - is there a way to add my own point buy system, or will I have to just manually generate then use the select stats method?
Our present campaign uses an 18 point-buy system, so I selected 20 points and put in a -2 point buy adjustment.
LazarX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Fyrhtu

Old January 17th, 2020, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Don't enter "1" everywhere - enter the total cost for an attribute of that value in each row.

In terms of showing up in the first place, Lord Magus already covered that part, and pay attention to which header you're putting your source under - don't just assign it to the default location, or it won't be among the point-buy settings.
Ah; I'm not at the desktop right now so I don't have the table to review, but IIRC it was a 20 or 30 entry table... so it'd be something like -10,-9, -8 etc, assuming the "middle" value is the default 10?
Fyrhtu is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 17th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrhtu View Post
Ah; I'm not at the desktop right now so I don't have the table to review, but IIRC it was a 20 or 30 entry table... so it'd be something like -10,-9, -8 etc, assuming the "middle" value is the default 10?

You said you left the min/max at the defaults of 7/18, so you can start at 7 with a -3, -2 in 8, and so on up to 8 in the 18 row.
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
Fyrhtu

Old January 18th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarX View Post
Our present campaign uses an 18 point-buy system, so I selected 20 points and put in a -2 point buy adjustment.
Ah, were it so simple. His point buy system is 1 point per point no matter how high the score, but 14 points to spend.
Fyrhtu is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Fyrhtu

Old January 18th, 2020, 04:59 PM
Hrm. Ok, I must be doing something wrong here.
Code:
Tools, Editor.
Open data file C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\pathfinder\Rizza.user
Go to the Mechanics tab.
New(Blank)
Enter the Name, Description, Unique ID, Summary text.
Select Attribute Cost Mechanics in Overrides. 
Fill out the 12 fields in Attribute Cost Table that I need to modify.
Select Advanced Player's Guide under Sources
Save
Test Now!
Ctrl-K - nothing new/different listed.
Tried selecting one of the point buy systems, going to attributes - the standard point buy rules are still in effect.
What am I missing?
Edit - Ok, that's weird. Gave up for now, closed editor, reopened a portfolio i'd been working on... suddenly the point values are correct, and I just need to update the total spendable points, it seems?
Edit2 - AHA. Creation Method. Well there we go; nice.

Last edited by Fyrhtu; January 18th, 2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Dur
Fyrhtu is offline   #10 Reply With Quote