Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

mirtos

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Toby mentioned earlier that most DM's don't allow multiple gestalt classes like this because it becomes too powerful. I say go ahead. Just as long as they know we DM's get to play by the same rules.
True, but in my experience, it only works if ALL the PCs are equally powerful. Thats the biggest problem. So when im allowing one character to be overpowered, i have to make sure all characters are so that when I amp up the opponents, nobody is screwed. (or everyone is )
mirtos is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
True, but in my experience, it only works if ALL the PCs are equally powerful. Thats the biggest problem. So when im allowing one character to be overpowered, i have to make sure all characters are so that when I amp up the opponents, nobody is screwed. (or everyone is )
This would be similar to Mythic rules in Pathfinder. Either all PCs are Mythic or none of them are. Half and half would suck!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Heh. In my current Mythic Game one of the characters rolled really Crap stats, so he decided his personal mission is to outlive every single other party member by taking all the mythic powers that let him tank damage and anything else which might harm him.
Aaron is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old July 9th, 2014, 05:00 AM
d20 needs some under the hood work. Easier to do in pathfinder I think.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old July 9th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Heh. In my current Mythic Game one of the characters rolled really Crap stats, so he decided his personal mission is to outlive every single other party member by taking all the mythic powers that let him tank damage and anything else which might harm him.
Weakest character I had in a PC party was a Magic-user that rolled crappy stats aside from Int, and kept rolling 1s on hit dice (and this was back before 1st level was auto maxed). He made it to 5th level before dying with his meager 5 hit points.

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old July 9th, 2014, 05:28 AM
its worse as a DM when your fighter of the group rolls 1 for hit points three times in a row. fourth level fighter had (con of a 15 that became a 16 at 4th level):
25 hp. without the con bonus he would have had 13 (and i shutter to think if not the max at first level)

Meanwhile the mage (con 14) had 20. it was just wrong.
mirtos is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Dianae

Old July 9th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
its worse as a DM when your fighter of the group rolls 1 for hit points three times in a row. fourth level fighter had (con of a 15 that became a 16 at 4th level):
25 hp. without the con bonus he would have had 13 (and i shutter to think if not the max at first level)

Meanwhile the mage (con 14) had 20. it was just wrong.
That's the main reason why my group ended up house ruling a re-roll under half for hit points. While yes, it makes for sturdier PC's, I usually set my monsters and Villainous NPC's to max hp to balance things a little more.

If the mage still has more hp than the front line fighters after that.... He's probably my husband's fire mage.
Dianae is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old July 10th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
Take the best from each... so Good Base Save and Good Base Attack as Monk. Just wanting to point out, 99.9% of all GM's are not going to let you take more than one gestalt. They are just too powerful.

For more information on gestalts I highly recommend reading the section on gestalting in Arcana Unearthed.
TobyFox,

If you read the text on the option, it specifically says the option is for small group games. It was put in there as a means of giving a group of 2-3 players a way to balance out the party structure. Most adventures you purchase are wrotten under an assumption of 4 PCs (Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue are the assumed classes). When you have 2 PCs you have about half the bases covered you need. Gestalt wasn't meant for large party games 4+ PCs. This is why most DMs, myself included, do not allow it.

RavenX is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old July 10th, 2014, 05:09 AM
I understand that, and I know many DM's do not allow gestalts, however it is my opinion that they add a lot of depth to the games. I have been in games where they have been allowed and in games where they have been disallowed.

I generally allow them in any game I'm running regardless of the number of persons playing. Yes its more work for me, (sometimes a lot more work), and I can understand why they are not allowed. However, that is not the issue here, the issue is that there are HL users that want them. I'm doing my best with a temporary measure for the non-caster classes which will hopefully be ready soon.

But I don't have the skill to do ones that use two caster classes.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old July 29th, 2014, 11:18 PM
The way my DM has explained it to me is when Gestalting the first two classes act as one class option vs experience and leveling, meaning if I used my Sorcerer/Warmage gestalt then any other class added is considered multiclassing I.E. Sorcerer/Warmage 1, Cleric 1.
With this in consideration he did rule that at level I needed to choose between the gestalt class option or the cleric to level when I had enough XP to level.

As others have said both the gestalt class leveraging they are on par with it. Essentially treat the gestalted classes as one class.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #50 Reply With Quote