Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

hollowheel

Old December 31st, 2014, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Any basis for that??
Seriously, as you have noted their focus (and they haven't been shy on saying such) has been directed toward the PE of RW.

As to an expected deliverable on print capabilities... I would expect that (and other features) will be defined based on the poll results.... Which based on Liz's update, the poll is to follow next. Sooooooo, be sure to register your email to get the poll and get your vote cast..... I myself and hoping for calendars next.
I like to check back every few months, so I'm sorry I missed your post.

My only basis was an educated guess based on my interactions with the team at GenCon. When I originally made my prediction it sounded to some that I was being too negative. By the looks of it's prioritization on the survey and it being listed as a challenging addition, I'm adjusting my prediction to April (which may still be too optimistic).

I'm still using the program, and am hopeful that I'll eventually be able to export my content. It just might be awhile. These days I'm also asking Santa for better performance and UI.

Oh... And happy New Year forums and LW crew.
hollowheel is offline   #121 Reply With Quote
pickin_grinnin

Old January 31st, 2015, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laruuk View Post
+1 for Printing and Exporting!
Given the survey reports and their response to it, it looks like any form of data export is pretty much off the table for Realm Works, unfortunately. That pretty much kills the product for me.

I would be happy to get a simple downloadable data dump of the database tables for my realms. I can work with that. That would be quick and simple to implement - I have done it for corporate clients who work with third-party product databases. They could just put in a "dump and download my data" button that runs a couple of SQL scripts. If it's all in XML, it's even easier - just put in a "ZIP up my XML files and download them" button.

Unfortunately, until there's some method for backing up my data in a form that I can access, I'm just not willing to use the product. Promises that the data would be made available if the company went under are all well and good, but nobody knows what can happen in the future. I've been burned too many times in the past.
pickin_grinnin is offline   #122 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 31st, 2015, 06:41 AM
Can't say I disagree with your disappointment and assessment.
While the ability to print is not a big deal to me, being able to export the data I have spent MY time inputting and BELONGS to ME and NOT being able to remove it is a disservice to the end user (aka us).

This and LWD continued lack of making good on other features (calendars) that were "supposedly already there" and weak promises of "soon" for other features that extend weeks, months, and even years past their "promised delivery" is making me reevaluate my decision to support as well.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #123 Reply With Quote
Ace Fortune

Old February 1st, 2015, 05:02 PM
I have been interested in this program since it's been released but I am one of the "If I cant print, I wont buy" I have a lot of players who dont use computers for gaming, I use mine to keep tabs on my campaign and the features of Realmworks seem sooo cool, but I dont use a computer at the gaming table either so printing out the stuff I need is essential, I'll check back at the end of the year to see if it will work for me.
Ace Fortune is offline   #124 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old February 1st, 2015, 05:46 PM
I am irritated plain and simple, no calendars no print/export but i should not mind after all i got a players view i am never going to use and a market place that is virtually useless to me as i create my own content. I do not want nor care about the players edition,the market place or even their cloud service it could cost 1.50 per six months span and i still don't want to pay for it.
Dervish is offline   #125 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 1st, 2015, 07:53 PM
Marketplace does matter to everyone. It's how we can move stuff between our own realms. So it's absolutely critical.

Marketplace will also be nice for grabbing "stuff" from others. I imagine there will be NPCs and maps that I'll import, rework and make my own. I'm hoping that there is a good community of sandbox/DIY GMs that are willing to trade material outside of the official module world. This will also be helpful for introducing others to this very satisfying RPG way-to-play.

As for export, there is absolutely no other excuse for not making export one of the top priorities. I've said my piece before and Rob appears to know it's important or he wouldn't have addressed it right along with calendars. My only hope is it becomes someone's pet project at this point.
AEIOU is offline   #126 Reply With Quote
phloog

Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:20 AM
I think that they were quite clear about their survey data, but I wonder if they may be viewing it incorrectly. Printing/export did not make the TOP lists, but it had very polarized answers.

Imagine there is a feature that has a (making up a scale here) score of 3.6 on average, because lots of people gave it a 3, and lots gave it a four, but no one gave it a five or a 1 (where 5 is highest). That is indeed a popular feature.

Compare that to a feature in the 'middle of the pack' because 50% of your users said it was not needed at all (1), and 50% said it was absolutely critical (5)...so the average is only 3....but 50% of your users will drop your product without it.

That's where I'm at...I know how RW was INTENDED to be used...but that's not how I want to use it..and without export/print I have no reason to stick with it. I think it's probably great for what people need it to do, but I'm not paying for cloud access without this feature.

Sadly, this falls on heels of me moving to 5th edition, which seems to have no licensing plans, so I may find that I'm not using HL anymore either.

I wish you guys all the best, and I will keep lurking in case you're able to meet my needs in the future.

....(edit) Also, I'm pretty sure that their desire to have a Marketplace where major companies post stuff for sale will effectively kills export, but perhaps not (watermarked) printing.

Last edited by phloog; February 2nd, 2015 at 06:27 AM.
phloog is offline   #127 Reply With Quote
ethernetguru

Old February 5th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Fortune View Post
I have been interested in this program since it's been released but I am one of the "If I cant print, I wont buy" I have a lot of players who dont use computers for gaming, I use mine to keep tabs on my campaign and the features of Realmworks seem sooo cool, but I dont use a computer at the gaming table either so printing out the stuff I need is essential, I'll check back at the end of the year to see if it will work for me.
this is me as well. I was originally going to purchase this and I am glad that I had issues with getting my account set up. There is no mention about the lack of import export data in any of their literature.

no export = no purchase

I find electronics at the game table take away from the play.
ethernetguru is offline   #128 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 6th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernetguru View Post
I find electronics at the game table take away from the play.
From a GM point of view, revealing a new part of a RW map in a player view window is significantly quicker than drawing the extra bits by hand on a piece of paper; and looking up something related to your current encounter/situation is just a click away rather than taking the time to search through one or more books to find the reference.
Farling is online now   #129 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old February 6th, 2015, 05:47 AM
I find that devices on the table do not detract from gameplay, unless the player uses the device for something other than gameplay.

For example, I have one friend who will pull out a netbook, browse the Internet, find funny videos, and all sorts of other things, rather than getting engaged in the game.

I have another friend who uses a laptop for rules searches on Paizo.com, and an iPad for character management using Hero Lab, and remains engaged in the game the whole time.

As a GM, it's very telling to me how interested someone is in the game by how distracted they are by the electronics they bring to the table.

It's a bit harder when playing online using a VTT, but you can still get a good idea.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #130 Reply With Quote