Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer 40,000

Notices

aenimosity

Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:04 AM
I hope this hasn't been posted before.

After a hiatus from 40k I've installed Army Builder on a new computer and activated a secondary licence. Unfortunately the free updates for the licence finished in October 2010, and I had to download AB3.1

When I imported the 40k 5th edition files and tried to load them I get the following error message:

warhammer5-40k.def - 812 String exceeds maximum length for attribute 'name' within unit stat 'psStrat'
warhammer5-40k.def - 814 String exceeds maximum length for attribute 'name' within unit stat 'baStrat'

Army Builder then closes.

Could anyone tell me if this is a common problem? Would it be best to contact the author of the file or is this simply a problem of an early version of AB trying to load files that were probably written with AB3.3 in mind and are incompatible?

Thanks for any help.
aenimosity is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
shaggai
Volunteer Data File Author

Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
It's not that their incompatable, it's just that 3.2 and 3.3 are a little more forgiving with the string values in question. There may be the possibility that it won't affect you (unless you are using planetstrike or blood angels) - but in order to get past the initial error you will have to turn off debugging. To do this you will have to load up another file such as one of the example files (or any other file other than the 40K file), click on the Settings tab in the menubar, then scroll down to Development and Debugging, then uncheck Enable Data File debugging and possibly Auto-compile new data files. This may solve the situation.

Another possible solution would be to download a file earier than 1.10, or to manually use AB creator and adjust the mentioned unit stats to an appropriate size which 3.1 doesn't complain about.

Note that as of 1.10+ we have stopped supporting 3.1 for purposes of backward compatability. This was done for the flexibility and new features that 3.2 allowed which we did not use for over a year to maintain backward compatability, not to mention that AB3.3 with even more new features and abilities was made available in December - not as a way to force people to upgrade.

It should also be noted that the problem with the above stats may be the least of your worries when using the most recent 40K file releases...
shaggai is offline   #2 Reply With Quote