Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 29th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I tried building the archetype with some way to allow things not to be replaced and it didn't work, which is why I went with the current method - allowing you to replace the removed abilities with themselves.
Mathias is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
prototype00

Old May 29th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I tried building the archetype with some way to allow things not to be replaced and it didn't work, which is why I went with the current method - allowing you to replace the removed abilities with themselves.
Ah, right, thats brilliant. So that takes care of my 1st objection (I obviously hadn't looked into the class deep enough), but could it be possible to make it invisible to other archetypes, so it doesn't lock them when taking the 1st monk level? But of course show redtext when an ability that is replaced by another archetype is replaced as a ki power by the User?

prototype00

Last edited by prototype00; May 29th, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
prototype00 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Those are valid points, and there isn't a workaround at the moment.

I'll put it on our to-do list to get a workaround in for you, but it may take a while due to upcoming releases in the leadup to GenCon. I'll have to investigate further, but the ideal solution you proposed, choosing each ability individually to be replaced, may not be feasable from a effort vs benefit standpoint (I think this is the only archetype that uses this kind of mechanic). More likely, it'll be something closer to a "Trust me that I'm taking archetypes that don't conflict" setting, which you can choose to have the program ignore conflicting archetype replacements. That way you can combine quingong with other archetypes without errors.

Edit: Darn my lack of refreshment.
Aaron is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Actually, the workaround is to ignore the error messages and keep working on your character.
Mathias is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
prototype00

Old May 29th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Those are valid points, and there isn't a workaround at the moment.

I'll put it on our to-do list to get a workaround in for you, but it may take a while due to upcoming releases in the leadup to GenCon. I'll have to investigate further, but the ideal solution you proposed, choosing each ability individually to be replaced, may not be feasable from a effort vs benefit standpoint (I think this is the only archetype that uses this kind of mechanic). More likely, it'll be something closer to a "Trust me that I'm taking archetypes that don't conflict" setting, which you can choose to have the program ignore conflicting archetype replacements. That way you can combine quingong with other archetypes without errors.

Edit: Darn my lack of refreshment.
Sorry for just jumping on the board (first couple of posts after all) and then griping and giving you guys a bunch of work (especially for an edge case like the Qinggong monk). It really is a rad program and worth every penny I spent on it.

Thanks for helping me out and the quick replies as well!

prototype00
prototype00 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
prototype00

Old May 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Actually, the workaround is to ignore the error messages and keep working on your character.
I have indeed done this, but as I recall from trying to make a ninja with the scout archetype, doesn't the output for character sheet not list redtexted abilities/archetypes? Which is a bit of a bummer, or is there a workaround for that as well?

prototype00
prototype00 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 29th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Please report any printing problems as specific issues - the exact combination of classes/races/other selections to generate that problem, not as vague general issues.
Mathias is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
prototype00

Old May 29th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Please report any printing problems as specific issues - the exact combination of classes/races/other selections to generate that problem, not as vague general issues.
Ah right, sorry. I thought the non-printing of redtexted abilities was a design choice and not a bug. Good that you told me otherwise.

prototype00
prototype00 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Bobson

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
I ran into this situation a little while ago while working on a character on a computer I don't have Hero Lab on, so I was using PCGen. They do it by having each swappable ability be a separate archetype you can take, provided you haven't taken a conflicting archetype. Thus there's "Qinggong (Slow Fall)", "Qinggong (Timeless body)", etc.

I'm not sure if that would work for Hero Lab's setup or not, but it impressed me when I saw it.
Bobson is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
demosthenes777

Old May 11th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Any update on this? I was just going to make a custom one for my specific character using the editor but it's telling me I can't make any changes or that my changes will not be saved, and that's really annoying.
demosthenes777 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote