Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mettius

Old April 19th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Page 18 of the Realm Works Reference Guide indicates (for a people topic) under Profile there should be a snippet type "Defining Quote". I can't figure out how to add it.
Mettius is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 19th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Alot has changed in recent times. It's possible the documentation is not up to date with the current status. I can't confirm this but having worked in IT for a long time it would not surprise me. Documentation is usually an afterthought.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Avi

Old April 19th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Documentation is usually an afterthought.
BUT BUT the proper design pattern says we should write documentation first and then design from it
Avi is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
craghammer

Old April 19th, 2017, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi View Post
BUT BUT the proper design pattern says we should write documentation first and then design from it
I've always thought the code should be good enough to not need documentation - that also spans to the User Experience.

But, needless to say - RW does have some quirks in the UI that makes it less than intuitive and documentation is needed.

As for the "defining quote" snippet - It's easy to add a snippet in the category definition and set it to have the quote default snippet type. Set it to Auto-Add on the topic and new topics would have this. For current topics, use the wrench tools and quick edit - synchronize to topic definition.
craghammer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 19th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi View Post
Doesn't Agile development mean that new features are added, and old features are modified/rationalised, as part of the continual development of a good product?

This leads to any up-front documentation becoming out-of-date very quickly.

Automated tools to extract documentation embedded in the source code is a far better way to get devs to maintain it
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 20th, 2017, 01:05 AM
Big difference between design documentation and client facing documentation also.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old April 20th, 2017, 02:42 AM
Perhaps the "flavor" snippet style has replaced the quote snippet?
meek75 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mettius

Old April 21st, 2017, 08:25 PM
So, software development methodologies aside , I only posted this because I had a memorable quote for an NPC I was entering into RW and wasn't sure where the "best practice" was to put it. ...so I read the fine manual and it delightfully pointed me to the defining quote snippet ...which seems to be gone. So this is a combination question on best practice for where to put said quote, and to report a defect in the documentation I guess.
Mettius is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 22nd, 2017, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettius View Post
So, software development methodologies aside , I only posted this because I had a memorable quote for an NPC I was entering into RW and wasn't sure where the "best practice" was to put it. ...so I read the fine manual and it delightfully pointed me to the defining quote snippet ...which seems to be gone. So this is a combination question on best practice for where to put said quote, and to report a defect in the documentation I guess.
I guess they are now put into normal text snippets, but change the snippet style to either read-aloud or flavour.
Farling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:27 PM
I make a (or several) custom snippet called "BTL" which stands for "Bring to life" - for each snippet I write one thing that makes the character stand out, such as:

BTL: Swears at least twice in every sentence.
BTL: Has a deep husky voice [this for a female NPC]
BTL: Lacking pinky and ring finger on left hand.
BTL: Famous quote: "Rather ya than me, know what a mean?"

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #10 Reply With Quote