Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Gallinaar

Old December 18th, 2015, 04:47 AM
Currently when numbering rows/columns in a 'whole' table - the sequence is horizontal. That is, numbers flow along the rows, incrementing as they go.

It does not appear to be possible to have numbering increment in 'columnar/vertical' format. Except in a single column.

Numbering in order downwards seems more common/natural to me, though others may prefer different. I would suggest it be setup as an option when using numbering. Or as a preference setting.
Gallinaar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 18th, 2015, 06:35 AM
I'm confused. Tables are a layout feature that look like a spreadsheet. In Realm Works they don't have any built-in numbering support of any kind; I had to type all of the text you see in this sample:

Table Sample.png

Did you mean something with numbered lists?

Ordered List Sample.png

A mocked-up example would be helpful!

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Gallinaar

Old December 18th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Sorry Parody, there's me thinking I was giving a clear explanation. As they say, a picture speaks a thousand words.

Numbered List in Tables.png

I am using the Tables from the 'Format' Menu/Ribbon, and the 'Numbered List' button from same ribbon. By highlighting the column or row, or whole table, they can be numbered. Usually the cells must be adjusted to show the numbering. And 'Decrease Indent' used to get the content to align appropriately (fully left-aligned) in the cells.

TABLE A is typically how I would list/sort my data, columnar ordering. Eg: The businesses within a city district.

TABLE B is what happens when I apply Numbered Lists to the whole table. I cannot get it to list in a columnar format. To me, it is unnatural.

TABLE C is my current workaround by only numbering the first column and guessing the others.

I notice in your image you have a 'spreadsheet format' with numbered/shaded outer columns/rows. My image shows numbering within each cell and prior to each item of data.

My feature request is to be able to number (increment) the second and third columns like the first in Table C.
Gallinaar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 18th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the explanation.

I'm surprised it works at all; HTML ordered lists must be contained within a table cell, so I would have expected numbering to be forcibly ended at the end of each cell. RW could help you out by marking each cell as the start of a new numbering sequence starting with the next number, I suppose. It wouldn't stay updated but it'd be something.

Neither of these happens when playing with it in Realm Works. If you start a new paragraph in a cell it gets the next number (which makes sense); if you mark separated text for ordered lists they default to "continue previous list" and it continues left-to-right, top-to-bottom. That's the order I'd expect (it's both our reading order and the order it'd be written in HTML) but it's still weird.

Table with Internal Numbering.png

On the plus side, manually adding the headers will always work. :)

Good luck with your request!

Last edited by Parody; December 18th, 2015 at 10:56 AM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 18th, 2015, 05:00 PM
One last thing: this is probably how I'd do what you're talking about. (Maybe not, as it would depend on the data involved, but going purely from the sample....)

Table Chart Chart.png

I might have messed around with the cell borders, but you get the idea. Everything's manually entered, which gives you good control over it.

Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Gallinaar

Old December 18th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Given that using a numbered list merged across HTML cells is apparently somewhat non-standard and open to instability, I think your suggestion to go for manual numbering is likely the more reliable way to go. It seems far more stable and table friendly, though incurs slightly more time to create for the GM.

I started using tables this way to fill up the 'left to right' screen real-estate as long numbered lists (say 20-30 items) with a large and unused 'white space' to the right looked odd and visually imbalanced. Purely aesthetic reasoning I think, rather than any required necessity.

Your last example is nicely set out and would meet my current needs. However, there's still that desire for a 'quick-click table' that automatically enters numbered cells.
Gallinaar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 18th, 2015, 11:10 PM
All this makes me wonder, if there is a way to make some standard text/table/etc. setup, store it somewhere in RW and insert it with a few simple clicks.

Say, if Gallinaar (or me, for that matter) would like a specific empty table in a specific snippet for each individual, could this be done easily within RW, without having to locate such a table (or whatever) in an outside program (or a totally unrelated topic), copy'n'paste it?

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old December 19th, 2015, 04:36 AM
Vargr, tables can be copy-pasted from one topic to another. If you have your template open in one tab, it's pretty straightforward to copy it over to your current topic in another.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 19th, 2015, 04:41 AM
I know - I want to insert them in the snippet when I make a new category, so that they are always present when I start a new topic.

That gives me a way more fluent work process :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old December 19th, 2015, 11:36 PM
I see a lot of questions from people working with tables and looking at this request maybe a special table type snippet is a solution. Such a snippet type should be able to do the following things (at least what I can think of now):
- The usual things you wish to do with a table (like higlighting rows or columns).
- Create a template through the topic category.
- Reveal on a cell level. Example when I use a table like in the example of Parody above. Like the results from a die roll. I can imagine that I only want to reveal the result that has been rolled by the players.
Cornelius is offline   #10 Reply With Quote