Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gord

Old February 18th, 2016, 06:44 PM
If you are referring to using the "Containing Topic" function that is right under the Table of Contents heading on the right side of the screen, you might want to read some of the other entries about it. This is mostly used for geographic entries or entries where there is only one place it would fit in. Many of us have had to redo these entries after misunderstanding the purpose of this.

For example, if you listed an entry of a Goblin Raiding Party as an event, it could work to be contained in one district of a country named Blog Forest. If the entry could apply to seven other districts, you would have to figure out another way to list it. Now you are using two different ways and it could get confusing. Neither is wrong but correcting am early mistake can be painful.
Gord is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
The Numerator

Old February 18th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Oh, then I'm definitely not using that correctly.

Here was my intent for organizing: In the left window of the Almanac (or a custom Topic View), have an event list of "Part 1", then nested under that was a number of scenes, such as "Meeting w/..." (intro scene), Event B, Event C, and so on. Then Let's say Event C takes place in a small keep that has 4 rooms, I then built a scene for each of those rooms, nested under Event C (C1, C2, etc). Then these scenes are linking to people, locations, treasure, etc.

It seemed like using the Containing Topic function created this organization. Is there another way to set up a tree structure like that? Or is Realmworks not intended to be organized in this fashion, and I am just thinking too linearly?
The Numerator is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 19th, 2016, 01:20 AM
The Story/Plot can be used for sequencing events if there is a logical order in doing things.

I tend to put story topics under a hierarchy of chapters; however dungeons are organised geographically.
Farling is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
The Numerator

Old February 19th, 2016, 05:17 AM
So do you use the Event topic type for each room, but have it nested under an "Adventure Area" topic? Or do you just use the Adventure Area type for all the rooms?
The Numerator is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
The Numerator

Old February 19th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Ok... I just went back into the spotlight series and looked at how they are organizing Runelords. I think I understand a bit more what you all are saying.

(can't wait for the content market to launch, as this would be much easier to just see how they organize it all).

In the meantime, are there community files hosted somewhere that I could reference, like they have with the HL Community Bestiary? Or is that now allowed due to the content market they're launching?
The Numerator is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
King Chicken

Old February 19th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Numerator View Post
In the meantime, are there community files hosted somewhere that I could reference, like they have with the HL Community Bestiary? Or is that now allowed due to the content market they're launching?
If you can find a way to import community files before the content market comes online, post it here. Yesterday!

RW: D&D 5e Sandbox campaign - Faerun
RW: Pathfinder Sandbox in Greyhawk - waiting for Marketplace for PF rules
Using Fantasy Grounds for VTT, Waiting for Roll20Pro(Mage Hand) Release
RW: Paizo - Strange Aeons AP
King Chicken is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 19th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Take a look at this thread, there are some great screens of what people were doing.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...ht=share+realm

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 19th, 2016, 07:06 AM
There are screenshots of quite a bit of work people have done buried here in the forums. Or you can be invited as a player into someone's realm. Those are your only two choices at this time for viewing what others have done.

Exmortis has honed his method and it works like a machine. I really like it and there is much to be learned from him. Thankfully, he's very generous in sharing. But bear in mind that it may not work for every person or every campaign.

Gord's caution regarding containers is definitely words of wisdom. You'll notice that my recommendation was tags rather than containers. Been there, done that.... But my realm is a sandbox world, not a linear AP so my structure is inherently different, less hierarchical and more fluid. Adding source tags as I create material is tedious but soooooo useful. Source, Region Map and Region Scope tags are how I stay sane and focused on material from 9 campaign setting books, 4 APs, 3 mega dungeons, numerous dungeons and wilderness encounters, two continents and a span of 10,000 years.

I use containers for things that will always be a subset of their container. Unless something really catastrophic happens, these thing simply cannot change locations....

Continent <-- mountain range <-- region <-- dungeon locale <-- dungeon <-- rooms
Continent <-- mountain range <-- region <-- community <-- businesses <-- rooms

I use casts as containers for groups of people. I group people by region and locale they will likely be found in. This is a much more fluid set of containers. Region <-- community. Beneath each region I have each community and each dungeon or point-of-interest that has NPCs. And for those that wander or are wilderness encounters, they just get placed into the region. I also have cast groups for deities, historical figures and a separate group for "Recurring NPCs" where I can place people that escape or need to be brought back into play in the future.

Of note, you see that I put townsfolk and dungeon denizens into cast groups and not in the containers of the rooms they are found in. I have links from the locations to their profiles but I don't contain them in their locations. This works great for an open world with lots and lots of NPCs but may not be as appropriate for a linear AP.

I've been thinking a lot about guilds lately but haven't started entering into RW yet. Right now, my guilds and other similar groups are in containers by community. But that will be changing as many actually span multiple locations (merchant trading houses, major banking enterprises, some professional guilds, large multi-unit mercenary operations, etc). Some organizations have established branches far-and-wide.... I don't have a solution for this yet.

I currently do not put nations/states/kingdoms into containers with the geography because borders are fluid over time. I have a lot of backstory which refers to the rise and fall of civilizations and I chose not to make my material a snapshot in time stuck in the present.
AEIOU is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 19th, 2016, 07:25 AM
There is no one right answer, other than "what works best for you". RealmWorks allows a lot of flexibility for that reason.

For my uses, I have this structure...because this is what works for me:

Source: Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
__GM Synopsis: AP Synopsis
__Additional Information : Ten Fun Facts About Goblins
__Story: Chapter
____GM Synopsis: Advancement Track
____GM Synopsis: Chapter Synopsis
____Cast List: Chapter Allies
____Cast List: Chapter Enemies
____Cast List: Chapter Supporting Cast
____Incident: Any happening that needs to be fit into the adventure timeline (prior to or during adventure)
____Story: Part X
______Encounter (customized Scene topic): encounters
______Adventure Location: each location that group encounters
________Encounters
__________Quest: Any story award entries that can be learned of as missions
__________Named Item: Any key items found here that should be tracked

Geographic Region: Avistan (continent)
__Political Region: Varisia
____Geographic Region: Each broad area within Varisia
____Adventure Site: Locations listed as possible adventure sites but not specific to AP
____Location: Other sides of interest outside settlements
____Community: All settlements
______Cast List*: Current residents of the community
________Individual*: Key NPC from the community
________Inhabitant*: Generic NPCs (such as town guards, stock goons, etc.)
______Cast List*: Past residents of the community
________Individual*: Key NPC from the community
______Cast List*: Potential Contacts, Cohorts, Managers, and Followers
______Organizations* (various types): Organizations or chapters/branches present
______Urban Region*: Neighborhood / district
________Merchant*: Those populated with NPCs that may be interactive
________Location*: Non-merchant locations of interest

Asterisked (*) entries I only put in if needed. For example, Sandpoint is fully detailed, and some of Magnimar.. but Korvosa and Riddleport have only as much added sub-entries as needed to represent the backstories of NPCs.

Also note that I use two separate hierarchies.. one world/geography based, and the other AP-based. A specific place may show up in both.. as a Location under the geographical hierarchy, and as an Adventure Site under the AP hierarchy .. so it can be re-used if I want to by adding more encounters to a different "branch" of the adventure "tree". That also allows me to reveal the generic "Location" entry under the geographical hierarchy without tipping off my players that place is also an Adventure Site.

Last edited by Silveras; February 19th, 2016 at 07:38 AM.
Silveras is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 19th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Nice, Silveras. I especially like your explanation for dual entries for location and adventure. That's really useful for folks that are starting up.

Since I'm weaving multiple adventures and merging campaign setting materials, I've started to add GM notes within locations sometimes; and some locations have multiple sets of adventure notes. This is especially useful for lead-ins to other adventures or to make sure I don't miss a small detail which easily happens with dual entries.

My format is the adventure in bold red text within brackets and the details pertinent to that particular adventure afterwards: [ADVENTURE NAME] Details of the adventure as it relates to this location. All in GM text. If it's more than a paragraph or three, it gets spun off like Silveras has done.
AEIOU is offline   #20 Reply With Quote