Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Repeater07

Old May 20th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I have seen several references on this forum of people that have been using Realm Works for Edge of Empire gaming. I have starting a realm for it myself and been mainly setting up the mechanics with the skills, talents, species, etc.

Wants to see if anyone has done the Talent Trees for the Careers and what worked and didn't work.

I wanted to setup a template or categories template for the talent trees, but I am just not sure the best way to approach it. The simplest would be just a image capture of the talent tree, but I would really like to have something more with links to the talents I have already defined.

any suggestions?
Repeater07 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old May 21st, 2015, 04:56 AM
Off-hand, I would try either building a table with links to the Talent articles, using empty cells with visible borders to indicate paths on the tree. The easier way would probably be to use a scan of the tree as a smart image with pins linking to the Talents.

Edit:
Here's an example of using a table.

Last edited by Dr_Automaton; May 21st, 2015 at 06:06 AM.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Repeater07

Old May 21st, 2015, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you recommended. Creating the table works and gives me all the "linking" to the skills and talents...not the easy way to do it..but it works.
Repeater07 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Repeater07

Old May 21st, 2015, 11:27 AM
Also, i wanted to give a screen shot of what I did, but there didn't know what people are using to host those images....suggestions?
Repeater07 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old May 21st, 2015, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repeater07 View Post
Also, i wanted to give a screen shot of what I did, but there didn't know what people are using to host those images....suggestions?
imgur.com

No login or anything needed.
MaxSupernova is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Repeater07

Old May 21st, 2015, 01:55 PM
Here is the example for what I implemented...based on Dr Automation's suggestion

http://imgur.com/ooJqP4n

Love to get some input or suggestions...
Repeater07 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old May 21st, 2015, 03:32 PM
Looks good to me. The only other suggestion I have is to maybe play with formatting options to include color coding for active vs. passive talents. Thumbs up!
Dr_Automaton is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Repeater07

Old May 21st, 2015, 05:19 PM
How about this...

http://i.imgur.com/KurgSGS.png
Repeater07 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:42 AM
If I were doing it, I think I would go for a higher contrast with the background and the text for added readability. Here I've made use of the Pen Color and Line Weight options to modify the talent node borders, using only a light-colored shading as the background fill:

If you use custom colors, you may want to make a note of the RBG values so you can replicate the formatting later. I'm not sure if there's currently a way in RW to extract color info from formatted text/tables.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old May 22nd, 2015, 09:23 AM
I don't know your game system but I'm curious on why you didn't use Storyboard. Wouldn't it be easier?
ruhar is offline   #10 Reply With Quote