Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

meek75

Old July 10th, 2017, 06:19 AM
So, I was attempting to export from two realms and create new realm from the data. The first export and import when well. I was about already planning to come on the forums and give some praise to LWD. I have been critical lately and wanted to give praise where it was due too. Alas, it was not to be. The second realm is a bit older and has had a host of issues. After an hour or so of repeated crashes and frustration I have been beaten. I will have to upload my whole realm (it is large and can't be emailed) to google drive. This will take a long time and be an extra hassle. I then will submit the issue to LWD and wait for them to get around to figuring out a fix. I have had two main criticisms of RW for quite a while. The first is the slow pace of the promised features. That has been hashed out elsewhere. The second, and more serious, is stability and usability. I have had a slew of crashes and problems over the years. I have had to submit my realm to LWD multiple times (half dozen maybe?). I know others report no such issues, I'm just lucky I guess. RW has a lot to offer, but I just can't recommend it to people anymore. Now, I tell people that RW is a good tool with some great features, but "buyer beware" because you should expect frustration and realm crashes.

If and when my issues get fixed I will report it back here. In the past LWD customer support has usually been reasonably quick. That is a definite point in their favor. I don't think the problem is bad people at LWD. All the LWD staff seem like great and talented people. It is simply hard to build and fly a plane simultaneously, and it feels like RW has engineers turning bolts with the engines running. I think my issues this time are related to the "source" tag and the fact that it was added more recently, while I had the same tag already in the realm. I attempted to remove the tag, but issues persist.
meek75 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 10th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Doesn't sound like you are lucky at all. Crashes were quite regular in 2016 but 2017 has seen them reducing significantly.

Now... it seems crashes are always caused by something very specific. Like I have a topic that I simply cannot complete linking on. It always generates a crash. The only way I can get the tool to crash on any sort of regular basis is to try and complete linking on that topic knowing full well that only idiots repeat actions expecting a different result yes i'm stubborn.

When you say your realm is large. Is it just one realm or do you have multiple?

My database file is about 25gb currently so I understand the issue of not being able to upload that to anyone. I tried once and gave up after a week.

Davidp gave me some good advice that I'm trying to find though. It involved syncing all my realms up to the server and closing realm works. Taking a manual backup of the database file. Restarting realm works and deleting all of the other realms other than the broken one from YOUR PC ONLY. Exit Realm Works and take a copy of the database file which should now be a lot smaller. Send that to LWD for troubleshooting. Move the original database file back to where it belongs and restarting Realm Works.

I suggest you reach out to LWD for the proper instructions though as this is obviously something that could go very very wrong for you if you don't follow the instructions exactly.

Older realms certainly seem to be more problematic.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old July 10th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Davidp gave me some good advice that I'm trying to find though. It involved syncing all my realms up to the server and closing realm works. Taking a manual backup of the database file. Restarting realm works and deleting all of the other realms other than the broken one from YOUR PC ONLY. Exit Realm Works and take a copy of the database file which should now be a lot smaller. Send that to LWD for troubleshooting. Move the original database file back to where it belongs and restarting Realm Works.

I suggest you reach out to LWD for the proper instructions though as this is obviously something that could go very very wrong for you if you don't follow the instructions exactly.

Older realms certainly seem to be more problematic.
That is helpful advice - thanks a bunch. I wish LWD had a way of accessing my stuff that is stored on the server.
meek75 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 10th, 2017, 04:48 PM
I've found that if a realm starts giving me consistent trouble deleting the local db and letting RW sync down the whole thing from the cloud has solved things several times.

You need to make sure that the cloud is up to date of course. and be prepared for how long this will take if you have a lot or big realms.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old July 10th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I've found that if a realm starts giving me consistent trouble deleting the local db and letting RW sync down the whole thing from the cloud has solved things several times.

You need to make sure that the cloud is up to date of course. and be prepared for how long this will take if you have a lot or big realms.
Yea, I tried that. I'm feel like the issues are all from a "source" tag I created way back before LWD used it. Just being difficult to fix.
meek75 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 10th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
That is helpful advice - thanks a bunch. I wish LWD had a way of accessing my stuff that is stored on the server.
They probably do, but that may not show the problem if something has gone wrong with the local database. (They'd get the same thing kbs666 does by deleting/moving the master.realm file and downloading everything again.)

Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 10th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Consistent crashes indicate, to me, corrupted data. It may LOOK fine to you, but it may be corrupted in a way that, only under some circumstances, does it crash. For those, you need to really send a crash report EVERY TIME (because sometimes you can't see the cause from 1 report.. it may take several to see a pattern).

If you are not getting the opportunity to send a crash report from RealmWorks as it happens, THAT needs to be put in a support ticket.. LWD won't know they're happening otherwise. They will likely ask you for a copy of your local database, and for information about your machine - the OS, hardware, and so on.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 11th, 2017, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
Yea, I tried that. I'm feel like the issues are all from a "source" tag I created way back before LWD used it. Just being difficult to fix.
I had a source tag when they added that. It caused me no end of grief, no crashes but it borked all my importing and exporting. I finally renamed it and that straightened things out. Not sure if that is a viable option for you.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old July 11th, 2017, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I had a source tag when they added that. It caused me no end of grief, no crashes but it borked all my importing and exporting. I finally renamed it and that straightened things out. Not sure if that is a viable option for you.
I tried to rename it but it didn't fix it. The issue may be that I not only created a "source" tag, but also added a labeled snippet to the articles to display the tag. I went into a small subset of articles and manually removed the labeled snippet. I was then able to successfully export/import the articles. I can now continue this, but the level of work required on my part is much greater. Going into each article and manually deleting the snippet is going to take some time. I will also loose the source information unless I want to create a new snippet with a new name to show it (I do not want to spend that time).
meek75 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 11th, 2017, 09:08 AM
I know there would be some technical headaches but this sort of thing would be solved if you could simply modify a template and the program then, with your approval, updated every topic in that category to reflect the updated template.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote