Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Zandari

Old December 24th, 2012, 12:59 PM
For those wondering if HL plays nice with Windows 8, I have recently installed it on my Lenovo Yoga 13. Since it isn't a "Windows App" it runs in desktop mode, but I have a shortcut directly to HL on the Modern UI start screen, and it runs just fine.

That said, the teeny-tiny nature of many HL buttons does mean that touch mode on the Windows version of the program is not the easiest thing on this particular device - it lacks a pen/tablet interface, so you are limited in precision to the size of your fingertip. I guess it is a tribute to touchscreen technology that folks like myself with large hands can use the thing at all, but sometimes it takes me an extra poke at the screen to check a box.

I am thoroughly enjoying HL on this device in general, it is so much improved over the netbook I was using that it isn't even funny, and this tablet is significantly more gaming-table friendly than my big 17" laptop. I refuse to go the iDevice route, simply because I can't justify a computing device that doesn't allow me to have HL, Combat Manager, and Google Docs open simultaneously. I suppose a MacBook Air would let me do that, but at a much higher price point than this tablet.
Zandari is offline   #121 Reply With Quote
duhtroll

Old January 17th, 2013, 10:33 AM
As with phones, Android devices will outnumber iOS soon - it is only a matter of time. When you can get Android tablets on sale for $49 it is a much more affordable solution for the price conscious gamer.

It matters little to me since I have both -- my workplace has gifted me with a new ipad along with a macbook pro. But what my Android tablet could do for $4 (splashtop remote desktop purchase running HL from my desktop) cost me $20 plus $17 each subsequent year on the ipad, not to mention lots of other little problems with the app store (only one of a particular type of app, far more free apps on droid cost $ on ipad, having to download things like goodreader just to use dropbox syncing, and I am sure several more to come)

Android is already more versatile than Apple. That plus price means the audience will shift in the next 24 months.
duhtroll is offline   #122 Reply With Quote
Maxxgold

Old June 25th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Would love to see Hero Lab on the Android
Maxxgold is offline   #123 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhtroll View Post
As with phones, Android devices will outnumber iOS soon - it is only a matter of time. When you can get Android tablets on sale for $49 it is a much more affordable solution for the price conscious gamer.

It matters little to me since I have both -- my workplace has gifted me with a new ipad along with a macbook pro. But what my Android tablet could do for $4 (splashtop remote desktop purchase running HL from my desktop) cost me $20 plus $17 each subsequent year on the ipad, not to mention lots of other little problems with the app store (only one of a particular type of app, far more free apps on droid cost $ on ipad, having to download things like goodreader just to use dropbox syncing, and I am sure several more to come)

Android is already more versatile than Apple. That plus price means the audience will shift in the next 24 months.
I've used those El Cheapo Android tablets, and have discovered why many of them wind up in drawers and on Ebay lists. Quite frankly to say that you get what you paid for, does not describe the terrible performance and software issues you get on the cheap tablets, many of which have faded away from the market as I write this. You want performance, you have to pay for it, and you'll see what I mean when you try to work with Pathfinder PDFs, even the Lite versions.

As far as fragmentation, usage reports tell the story. 95 percent of IOS users are running the current version of the software as opposed to the multi-colored Pie aspect of Android with users scattered all across from 2.2 to the latest version of 4.

Using free apps on Android (and on IOS to a lesser degree) comes with a cost... constant add pushing eating at your data plans. I'll download a free ap to try something out, but if I don't like it enough to purchase the paid version and silence the adds, it goes into the bit bucket.
LazarX is offline   #124 Reply With Quote