Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

mathematical Pi

Old December 10th, 2013, 04:39 AM
So I'm playing a wizard crafter in our current campaign. Meaning I often craft custom magic items for myself.
I only just started using Hero Labs and after some browsing around the web I found out I need to create all my items in Editor first and then buy them in the Hero's magic item tab.

My first attempt: A robe with a continuous Mage Armor spell on it.
I looked around and in the "Charge information" thought I found everything to add the effect of the spell I put the usage peroid on constant and added mage armor to the castable spells.

but after testing the item I see it doesn't add AC when equipped.

Can anyone give me some tips about adding spell effects to custom items, or a link to some tutorial (because I cant find them)

thanks in advance
mathematical Pi is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old December 10th, 2013, 04:53 AM
I'm not the world's best Editor user, but the quick method I would use for that would be to add an Eval Script borrowed from Bracers of Armor +4 to increase the Armor bonus.

I will note, however, that a custom item of Mage Armor continuous breaks the Pathfinder RPG pricing guidelines unless it costs 16,000 gp.
Chemlak is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old December 10th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Can you attach the .user file you created and we'l take a look at it.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old December 10th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Looking at this, I think you are going to run into a problem in how the spell Mage Armor works. Its creature touched, so it isn't self automatically.

Would it be easier to create a robe with the + on it you need instead of using Mage Armor? As for the specific + to armor, that would depend on the item creators level any ways.

An other suction would be to create an adjustment to the AC and just use that.

For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
mathematical Pi

Old December 10th, 2013, 07:00 AM
@chief: I added the .user file like asked.

@Chief and Chem: The reason why i prefer the spell is because of the +4 bonus it can give early in the game.
As a wizard I'm not proficient with any armor and this would be a substitute for that. The price might seem low, but this robe will give me the same AC bonus as a Chain Shirt which only costs 100gp. (Both are armor bonusses to AC so they dont stack)

+ bonusses as they appear on armor or ring of protection are enhancement/delfection bonusses and they do stack with a normal armor. I believe that is why they are more expensive.

I'll try a second item with a spell that automaticaly targets self to see if there is any difference. But feel free to give more tips :-)

EDIT: Just tried a bracelet with the "Shield" spell (which targets the caster automatically) and still no effect.
Attached Files
File Type: email Custom Magic Items.user (1.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by mathematical Pi; December 10th, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
mathematical Pi is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 10th, 2013, 07:16 AM
As Chemlak said, use the "New (Copy)" button to make a copy of Bracers of Armor +4, then simply change the slot this uses from arms to robe, and rename it.

A continuous mage armor spell at +4 and bracers of armor +4 will have an identical effect.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Muspellsheimr

Old December 10th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Another thing you can try is bootstrapping the spell adjustment to the item, if there is some particular reason it has to be 'mage armor' instead of +4 armor. Failing that, you can also copy from the spell adjustment. This can be useful for other items duplicating spell effects as well.
Muspellsheimr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old December 10th, 2013, 07:27 AM
I added an eval script to the Robe. I just copied the Bracers +4 and dropped it in. The problem with the spell is that the effect is reflected on anything, it really is just saying its on the item.

I have a file created, just not sure how to attach it in here for you.

chiefweasel is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
mathematical Pi

Old December 10th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
I added an eval script to the Robe. I just copied the Bracers +4 and dropped it in. The problem with the spell is that the effect is reflected on anything, it really is just saying its on the item.

I have a file created, just not sure how to attach it in here for you.
use the paperclip icon next to your font selection when making a post
mathematical Pi is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old December 10th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Sorry, I don't seem to have either of those options available to me. No font options and no paperclip. I'll send it ion a private message

chiefweasel is offline   #10 Reply With Quote