Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Sauron

Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:21 AM
Hi Folks,

I have some trouble downloading data from the cloud and I read somewhere about compressing the data files to speed up this process.

I know that you can do this via tools - but can you also compress the main data files in the folders as well - and if so how do you do it?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sauron is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 2nd, 2018, 02:43 AM
In the Launcher you can go to Tools, Manage Database, and Compress Database to free up some space from things you've added and then deleted from your local database. However, this won't change what needs to be transferred to/from the server.

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sauron

Old March 2nd, 2018, 03:00 AM
Yeah its the transfer from the main server that both myself and my players are having trouble with.
Sauron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 2nd, 2018, 03:09 AM
Syncing with the cloud uses whatever protocols LWD have put in place. We (normal users) can't do anything to make the data smaller.

Are you syncing just one realm? How big is the realm (number of topics)?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 2nd, 2018, 03:47 PM
When you compress the data files, you are compressing the data files in your folders.

Basically, what happens with a database is this. Say you add a name to your database.

"John"

Now you add three more names.

"John"
"Sara"
"Susan"
"Mike"

Now, let's say you delete Sara and Susan, but add five more names.

"John"
""
""
"Mike"
"Bill"
"Allan"
"Martha"
"Diane"
"Greg"

Now you delete Allan and Martha.

"John"
""
""
"Mike"
"Bill"
""
""
"Diane"
"Greg"

What I'm trying to illustrate is that deleting things from your database doesn't actually free up the space those items were taking. The size of your database file grows as you add records, but it never shrinks when you delete records. The illustration above isn't entirely accurate, because when you add records, it will fill in the blank space before growing the file, but this is just for a quick illustration, not an in-depth tech analysis.

So now you have this as a database file:
"John"
""
""
"Mike"
"Bill"
""
""
"Diane"
"Greg"

And you run the compression tool. The compression tool frees up all the empty space from the database file. So you end up with this:

"John"
"Mike"
"Bill"
"Diane"
"Greg"

Depending on the frequency and the dynamics of when and how you add and delete data, combined with how long it's been since your last compression, the difference after compressing your data could negligible or it could be dramatic. It could shrink your database by several gigabytes, or only by a few bytes. It all depends.
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 2nd, 2018, 04:16 PM
If you're having trouble syncing RW there are two likely culprits

1) a spotty internet connection.
2) A very large DB. (having a large DB is not itself a problem but it makes #1 more likely to be an issue)

Compressing your DB can be very helpful. Particularly if you've ever imported anything. The import process can create a lot of bloat in the DB for some reason. If you are still having problems your best bet is to check the stability and quality of your connection.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote