Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer 40,000

Notices

greatimp

Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
I understand that most of the devlopment is done by volenteers. Yet I would like to know about the timeing or develpoment for the update for the Black Templars. I understand that many people do not play such a difficult chapter. However I do and I cannot change army software due to personel reasons. (i.e. any one who has purchased GW army software knows you need two seperate installs costing over $60). I realy do love the Army Builder, and I would also volenteer to assist in the update if needed.
greatimp is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
HakujinGrande
Volunteer Data File Author

Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:12 PM
The Black Templars Codex already been completed, and is undergoing testing for concurrent release with Army Builder 3.1 next week. There would have been a test version for the public, but the forthcoming release of AB3.1 required some changes that prevent the datafiles from loading in AB3.0b.

Space Marine Maintainer for AB3
Battlefleet Gothic Maintainer for AB3
40K: Space Wolves, 13th Company, Grey Knights, Deathwatch
BFG: Space Marine Fleet, Armageddon Fleet, Tau Fleet
HakujinGrande is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
bkrabach

Old November 25th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Greatimp,

I am also a volunteer, but I've posted a Black Templar patch in the downloads area that you can use until the *OFFICIAL* datafile is released. It is functional except for special characters and a few option limits (will let you take more Terminator Honors than you have models for the Sword Brethren for example). I can post updates in a day or so if someone wants those added.

- bkrabach

DISCLAIMER: I am not one of the AB40K3 maintainers, just another user like yourself. This is just my datafile I created for personal use, being shared with the community to allow the new codex to at least be used until the datafile is officially released.
bkrabach is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
harkan

Old November 25th, 2005, 11:36 AM
that patch needs to be removed due to copyright etc, you can post a link to a site hosting them but not post the patch directly
harkan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
bkrabach

Old November 25th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I went in to edit the link, but it will let me edit just about everything except the URL. If someone has access to do it, please change it to [link deleted by message author] to satisfy the above request. I also tried to delete the download, but could not find that option. Sorry for the direct link, I would not have done that had I known it was a problem. Just trying to help out those who are looking to use their codex.
bkrabach is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
HakujinGrande

Old November 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I hate to say it, but please never release a patch against the reguar marine file without passing it by me first. Release a stand alone file if you must, but unofficial patches can cause nothing but problems. To get the official file you need but wait three more days.

HakujinGrande is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Stelek

Old November 25th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Hopefully this won't happen again. I got alot of bullpuckey over that file from GW. Not the way to start my day.
Stelek is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
bkrabach

Old November 26th, 2005, 12:03 AM
My apologies to all of you guys, I was simply trying to share what I had put together for myself for those who wanted it until the release came out. Thanks for those who politely explained the problem behind this, and my suggestion for those who were a bit more rude would be to explain what's wrong next time instead of just tearing someone apart with no explaination.

You guys may want to consider posting the fact that you can't release a datafile within a month of the codex coming out because of GW somewhere easily visible, like in a sticky message or something. I'm on both this forum and the AB40K3 forum and did not see anything mentioned. The only reason I had seen was that the the file was being delayed was because AB v3.1 was on its way and you were waiting for that.

This is the message that I saw on AB40K3 that led me to believe it was more of a time taken to develop it issue:

"Without haveing seen it yet, I will state the standard timeframe of one month until the datafile is ready to go. It may take far less than that, but hounding me and repeatedly asking if it is ready will not make it sooner. So, before you ask, it will be ready when it is ready, and not beforehand."

Nothing in there leads me to believe that it is because GW doesn't want them released any sooner. There was also the mention of a test release possibly being released on the weekend of 11/18, yet there was in fact none released. All indicators pointed towards the fact that it just wasn't done yet or the later messages about it waiting for the ABv3.1 release. This was probably my source of confusion. Harkan & HakujinGrande, did you guys know this was an issue? Neither of you included it in your responses? Nobody responded to either of the guys who initially asked about the release time on the forums. Stelek banned me, replied to an email I sent him, and it wasn't until the third time I heard from him that I got this explaination.

If GW comes down on you/us because of the early release of it, yeah that sucks, but I understand that's not you guys just taking your time and the issue is with them, not you. I'm not sure that us end users have understood that - or at least if these conversations have been held in the past (and I'm sure they have), those who did not scour the forums looking for it (or who didn't really watch the forums until recently) probably haven't seen it. I know this isn't the first datafile that I've waited for with frustration, appreciating what you guys do in maintaining them, yet wishing they were available more quickly after a new codex release and purchase.

Again, though, thanks for the clarifications (and while I've got a message going, thanks for all of the hard work you guys put into maintaining this stuff) ...
bkrabach is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Stelek

Old November 26th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Well, you get the legal stick tocked onto your skull, and you would react rudely as well. Sorry mate, but a new user creating an account and posting a new file--that's rude too. And gets us the mean nasties we don't want.
Stelek is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
HakujinGrande

Old November 27th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Just FYI, I had no idea the one month timeframe was a GW requirement, I thought it was just a standard answer to AB users to keep them off our backs while we write the file. It has since been explained as a request from GW, and if that keeps them off our backs, then we will comply.

HakujinGrande is offline   #10 Reply With Quote