Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

mrnighttime

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
I am thinking about buying Herolab for Pathfinder but I have a question or two and I hope folks here can help. (Note: I have never used the program out side of the Demo).

I have to start by saying I am a long time PCGEN user but I tried the Herolab demo and was rather impressed. The thing I did not like was the lack of detail on the character sheet. I know it is not for everyone but I like the detail of PCGEN's character sheet. I like the fact that is gives the basic description of special abilities and feats as well as the page number. This is huge I think because it cuts down on trips to the book and gives a reference for when they are needed. Also I noted that sheet did not give separate numbers for my CMD for Bull Rush and Trip due to being a Dwarf. Perhaps there were other little omissions (at least as I see it) that I missed.

So with all that in mind what I am wondering is if someone has come up with a character sheet that would approach this level of detail? If so and if it is allowed would it possible for someone to post and example here so I could see it?

I hate to be a bother but in this economy I want to make darn sure that I will be happy with Herolab--and right now for me the lack of detail on the sheet is a deal breaker, which is sad because overall the program seems awesome.

If it is simply that these features are there but just disabled in the demo that would be a valid answer as well, I am just trying to get more info before I buy the program and a few add ons.

Thanks in advance
mrnighttime is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
blzbob
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
There are custom sheets that others have created that do exactly what you are asking. To make it even better, you won't have to search for them. They are part of the updates with Hero Lab.

There is also a very prolific community that has entered a lot of information and add-ons at no charge to make Hero Lab even better.
blzbob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Firstly I never used pcgen extensively, I looked at it and decided not to use it.

However with Hero Lab I was impressed from the start so much that I purchased it immediately. The ease of use was evident for D20 V3.5 and the character sheet was genuinely useful if a little haphazard in it's Layout. That being said there are user created sheets available for download that should cover everything you've asked for located here if they have any omissions then you can request features to be added. The community is very helpful and accommodating!

Oh you'd need to import them into HL first before you could select and use them, even in demo mode.

Hope this helps you.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Joshua

Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:13 AM
In addition to the custom character sheets mentioned above, HL does offer descriptions of abilities (and spells too), but they're optional in case someone wants a streamlined character sheet. When you're creating the character, scroll down to the bottom of the options checklist in the initial creation page (that pop-up dialogue box). You'll see near the very bottom: "Show feat/ability descriptions." Make sure that's checked.

If you've already created the character and you need to change those kinds of options, click the "Character" pull-down menu, then "Configure Hero" and the same dialogue box will open, allowing you to make the same changes. It doesn't include page numbers, but it does include descriptions from the relevant book.
Joshua is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
mrnighttime

Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
In addition to the custom character sheets mentioned above, HL does offer descriptions of abilities (and spells too), but they're optional in case someone wants a streamlined character sheet. When you're creating the character, scroll down to the bottom of the options checklist in the initial creation page (that pop-up dialogue box). You'll see near the very bottom: "Show feat/ability descriptions." Make sure that's checked.

If you've already created the character and you need to change those kinds of options, click the "Character" pull-down menu, then "Configure Hero" and the same dialogue box will open, allowing you to make the same changes. It doesn't include page numbers, but it does include descriptions from the relevant book.
Excellent that helps, so long as there are opitions. Being new to hero lab I am trying to figure it all out. I am one of those annoying people who asks a lot of questions before I buy something

Last edited by mrnighttime; February 3rd, 2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: correction
mrnighttime is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rashidali

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:05 AM
What I do for my players is print out the default HL character sheet without descriptions, then used Armidale's sheet to print out the full text of the abilities (turning off the common proficiencies). It runs three to four pages for a first level character depending on the length of the abilities.
rashidali is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
mrnighttime

Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashidali View Post
What I do for my players is print out the default HL character sheet without descriptions, then used Armidale's sheet to print out the full text of the abilities (turning off the common proficiencies). It runs three to four pages for a first level character depending on the length of the abilities.
That sounds awesome I am a detail nut. I grew up in an era where rpgs required a degree in astrophysics and a sliderule to play
mrnighttime is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Kinnakeeter

Send a message via Yahoo to Kinnakeeter

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnighttime View Post
That sounds awesome I am a detail nut. I grew up in an era where rpgs required a degree in astrophysics and a sliderule to play
*Chuckle* Great description. Both AncientOne and Armidale have great detailed sheets and are quite amenable to adding extra "tweaks" if it's possible.

I love HeroLab and, like you, my biggest concern was the output, but being able to use the custom sheets has been a big benefit. I think that you'll enjoy this program and those sheets.
Kinnakeeter is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
mrnighttime

Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeeter View Post
*Chuckle* Great description. Both AncientOne and Armidale have great detailed sheets and are quite amenable to adding extra "tweaks" if it's possible.

I love HeroLab and, like you, my biggest concern was the output, but being able to use the custom sheets has been a big benefit. I think that you'll enjoy this program and those sheets.
Indeed

Thank you all, I went ahead and got Herolab and a couple of addons and am loving it. AncientOne's sheet is awesomeness.
mrnighttime is offline   #9 Reply With Quote