Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old January 20th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Hrm, When trying to create the races for the regions I have come across an interesting problem.

The Fay'ri races when starting out has a choice of two special abilities from a chosen list of demonic abilities, if this was a class I would know how to handle this easily, with custom abilities. Races and templates does not seem to have the custom expression box.

This isnt the first time I have seen this problem, I tried to create the "Dragonborn" template and "Shadow Creature" template before and ran into a similar issue.

Is there a way to do this or is such impossible to do at this time?
TobyFox2002 is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 20th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
Hrm, When trying to create the races for the regions I have come across an interesting problem.

The Fay'ri races when starting out has a choice of two special abilities from a chosen list of demonic abilities, if this was a class I would know how to handle this easily, with custom abilities. Races and templates does not seem to have the custom expression box.

This isnt the first time I have seen this problem, I tried to create the "Dragonborn" template and "Shadow Creature" template before and ran into a similar issue.

Is there a way to do this or is such impossible to do at this time?

I was going to look at my own Dragonborn template and tell you how I did it only to discover it was incomplete. Guess I should finish that before I cut the release. Anyway, I suspect this would be done the same way we did the bonus feats on the trait. I'd have to take a closer look at it though if that doesn't work.
Sendric is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 20th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
I was going to look at my own Dragonborn template and tell you how I did it only to discover it was incomplete. Guess I should finish that before I cut the release. Anyway, I suspect this would be done the same way we did the bonus feats on the trait. I'd have to take a closer look at it though if that doesn't work.
I'll set aside the Fay'ri race as until I have more of an idea of how to proceed.
=====

On an aside, the dragonborn reminded me about a mistake I made when I was starting to learn. Will the update change "Races of the Dragon" at all, because I like an idiot--added stuff to that user file--mostly spells and a few missing feats-- and cant remember what I added.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 20th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Quote:
On an aside, the dragonborn reminded me about a mistake I made when I was starting to learn. Will the update change "Races of the Dragon" at all, because I like an idiot--added stuff to that user file--mostly spells and a few missing feats-- and cant remember what I added.
Yes, but even if it didn't, all your changes would be gone after the update. My recommendation would be to make a copy of that file somewhere else on your computer and after the update you can strip out all the things that are also in the community set.
Sendric is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:24 PM
Well mostly my work is done.
I still have some feats that will not work properly.

Mostly its a matter of fixing feats so that they have a drop down menu, the complicated ones such as the "Initiate of XXX" feats add specific spells to cleric list for free for each level.
There are a few feats that require specific class specials such as "Bardic Music"
A feat that adds removes a type/subtype and adds different one.
A feat that adds +3 spells known to the cantrips of a Sorcerer or Wizard.
A feat that has the hero choose a single item creation feat.
A feat that has the hero select a single crafting feat.
And a feat that changes the height and weight of a hero.

I hope I can get these done before the next update.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Well mostly my work is done.
I still have some feats that will not work properly.

Mostly its a matter of fixing feats so that they have a drop down menu, the complicated ones such as the "Initiate of XXX" feats add specific spells to cleric list for free for each level.
There are a few feats that require specific class specials such as "Bardic Music"
A feat that adds removes a type/subtype and adds different one.
A feat that adds +3 spells known to the cantrips of a Sorcerer or Wizard.
A feat that has the hero choose a single item creation feat.
A feat that has the hero select a single crafting feat.
And a feat that changes the height and weight of a hero.

I hope I can get these done before the next update.
Check out this thread for adding a spell to a spell list via a dropdown:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...ght=cSpellExpr
Sendric is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 25th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Check out this thread for adding a spell to a spell list via a dropdown:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...ght=cSpellExpr
Doesn't really seem to apply since I'm not trying to get it to work with a Class Special but a regular special.

Basically what I am trying to do is a Template Called "Chosen of Mystra"

Quote:
Bonus Spells (Sp): A Chosen gains one bonus spell of each spell
level 1st through 9th per day, which can be used as a spell-like ability.
Once these nine spells are selected, they can never be changed.
Most Chosen select a variety of offensive, defensive, and utility
spells with this ability.
Spell Immunity (Su): Chosen are immune to one spell of each
spell level 1st through 9th, just as if the spell immunity spell were
constantly in effect upon them. Once these nine spells are selected,
they can never be changed.
Unfortunately, regular specials dont have that custom box, and so.. I cant figure how to do the drop down.

I tried doing it making chosen of Mystra as a Class, but it told me I couldnt make a class with only one level. (Which makes sense I suppose since thats what a Template is for).

From what I am seeing, what I want isn't possible?

P.S, Once I am nearly done, just need to do spells and (I hope the Chosen of Mystra), and I'll be all set to send.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 25th, 2014, 03:14 AM
The template is possible, it just needs to be implemented carefully to account for the pull down choosers for the spells. It looks as though you will need multiple pulldown menus, one for each spell level. This is accomplishable. You might have to make a custom thing for each spell level and bootstrap all nine of them to the template however.

What you could do is make each bonus spell a special ability and have each special look for your character's spell level, you will want them to auto disable if the character doesn't have access to the level of spell granting the bonus. For example, a character with 17 intelligence wouldn't normally be able to access some high level spells, so you need the class special to automatically disable itself if this is the case.

If the character qualifies for the spell level, the character would choose a spell from those available. I believe this template is for Arcane magic, as Elminster is the Chosen one in the 3.5 version of the realms. You'd set up a custom tag expression down where it says Custom Expression. Each spell level will have a tag that identifies it as a spell and what level and type it is.

as an example, you will want something like this for 1st level spells
Code:
component.BaseSpell & (SpellType.cHelpSor | SpellType.cHelpWiz) & sLevel.1
if you want to include bard spells on that list of choices you'd need another or statement the | is an or statement in the code. You can find the tags by going into the develop menu, enable data file debugging. Then create a wizard or other spell casting character in the main interface. Go to the spell book, right click the spell and show debug tags. Then you can find the tags you need for spells to create the class abilities.

You should have nine of these created, and once they're done, bootstrap them to your template.

Not saying this the best way to do what you're trying to accomplish, but it is one way of doing it.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; January 25th, 2014 at 03:27 AM.
RavenX is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 25th, 2014, 03:26 AM
I am aware I need multiple ones, Custom Abilities would be great, the code already exists, almost exactly how I need it (Arcane Dillitante, Factotum) but would be great, but template doesn't seem to have the options for that unless it needs to be done with pure scripts...
TobyFox2002 is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 25th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Quote:
I am aware I need multiple ones, Custom Abilities would be great, the code already exists, almost exactly how I need it (Arcane Dillitante, Factotum) but would be great, but template doesn't seem to have the options for that unless it needs to be done with pure scripts...
You should have the ability to manually bootstrap objects on a template. That's a standard hero lab feature.

for the specials, yes you would have to manually script those lines of code. I'm not seeing the choosers in the d20 version, sadly. Maybe you could find an ability or special that adds a spell-like ability and modify that to fit your needs?

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; January 25th, 2014 at 03:49 AM.
RavenX is offline   #60 Reply With Quote