Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Farling

Old July 14th, 2018, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
I want to have parts in different flavours but I just realized - I could just edit the categories and add the maximum number of snippets possible to achieve the same result, since I can switch of the auto-add. I think. Need to check it asap
I think I can get multiple text snippets working quite easily. However they would all have the same snippet style and truth level.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is online now   #301 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 14th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Version 1.34 has just been released

This version will enable the main contents of a section to contain multiple snippets.
All the content snippets will have the same revealed state, style and truth.

(Not quite what Acenoid is after, but a step towards it )

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is online now   #302 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 15th, 2018, 04:24 AM
Version 1.35 is out

This fixes a bug that an import would fail if your structure has sections as children of other sections.

Farling

Farling is online now   #303 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old July 15th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Hi there,

This looks very interesting. I am not very tech savvy so I am still confused on how this works. Could I use the tool to convert a PDF file (Tome of Horrors) to a Realm Works file? How would I go about that?

Thanks!
FreakFire74 is offline   #304 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 15th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakFire74 View Post
Hi there,

This looks very interesting. I am not very tech savvy so I am still confused on how this works. Could I use the tool to convert a PDF file (Tome of Horrors) to a Realm Works file? How would I go about that?

Thanks!
To use the tool you need the information in a CSV file format. If you copy all the text out of a PDF and put it into excel; you can then save the excel file in CSV format.

Some people claim that this is MUCH quicker than copy-and-paste from PDF directly into Realm Works, but I haven't used the tool for that sort of work.

Other people might have a better idea if a non-tech-savvy person would be able to cope

Farling

Farling is online now   #305 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old July 16th, 2018, 03:53 AM
Thank you, Farling.

Has anyone here undertaken something like for instance the Monsters Manual for 5e D&D? Any advice or guidelines?

I take it I would have to convert a PDF to an excel file. I already tried a PDF-Excel convertor but the convertor crashed on me after about 30 mins (the PDF is pretty big). Is it possible to do that automatically or do I need to enter the data into the Excel file manually?
FreakFire74 is offline   #306 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 16th, 2018, 05:29 AM
Oh yes. I just finished putting all the monsters from TFTYP in. My eyes they bleed.

PDF-Excel is a good start but have you considered JSON-CSV though? JSON is a pretty popular web format which means if there are web services or even phone apps using JSON and supporting this content then it's highly likely that the data will exist in JSON format out there in the vast internet.

JSON > CSV > Realm Works Importer > Realm Works > Win

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #307 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 16th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
JSON > CSV > Realm Works Importer > Realm Works > Win
If only there was a way of avoiding that first conversion...

Farling

Farling is online now   #308 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 16th, 2018, 01:38 PM
JSON files are doing more with the data than we need. So that might be more complex than it sounds.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #309 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old July 17th, 2018, 01:33 AM
Thanks all!

I don't even know what a JSON is so I will have to do a lot more research.. Wish the content market was out so I could just buy all this stuff in RW, ready to go. I'd pay a lot of money for it to have it accessible in game.. Especially the monsters! (Having them in RW would be nice, but what I really want is for them to be available in Hero Lab)..
FreakFire74 is offline   #310 Reply With Quote