Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Icehawke

Old March 30th, 2017, 02:30 PM
I'm sure that's not the best way to describe them, but the game I am working on employs a system of packages to describe previous experience, such as schooling and work/military prior to adventuring.

The closest pen & paper example I can think of is either Traveller or the old Central Casting supplements. In Hero Lab, the closest would be the Shadowrun 5 method of character creation from Run Faster, the Life Modules.

Can anyone drop some pointers or examples on how to do such a thing?

Thanks.
Icehawke is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2017, 02:34 PM
How far have you gotten in studying Shadowrun 5's life modules, and how they work inside Hero Lab?

Those are the closest thing in Hero Lab to what it sounds like you want to accomplish, so I'd study what sort of fields they're using, and how the tags are being set up on each copy of each skill, so that each life module only shows its own skills, but then only one real copy gets shown on the hero, and that copy collects all the values from any other life module.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Icehawke

Old March 30th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
How far have you gotten in studying Shadowrun 5's life modules, and how they work inside Hero Lab?

Those are the closest thing in Hero Lab to what it sounds like you want to accomplish, so I'd study what sort of fields they're using, and how the tags are being set up on each copy of each skill, so that each life module only shows its own skills, but then only one real copy gets shown on the hero, and that copy collects all the values from any other life module.
I'd love to look at the SR5 stuff, but it's all in .pkg files which seem to be some sort of binary format

From the non-computerized side, I am fairly familiar how they work in-game, just applying that knowledge is the challenge
Icehawke is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2017, 03:12 PM
In the Develop menu, make sure Enable Data File Debugging is turned on. Then, you can right-click various items, and look at their tags and fields - that's what I was referring to.

There should be a lot you can figure out for yourself as to how they're working based on the results you see.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Icehawke

Old March 30th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
In the Develop menu, make sure Enable Data File Debugging is turned on. Then, you can right-click various items, and look at their tags and fields - that's what I was referring to.

There should be a lot you can figure out for yourself as to how they're working based on the results you see.
The things you learn
Icehawke is offline   #5 Reply With Quote