Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

LeeSmith

Old October 6th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Thank you so much for this. I think one of the most useful resources for new user is videos of other users showing how they have set up their worlds.

You asked for comments. My first is whether you have entered in any of the mechanics? I didn't see any links to rules. Also when you show the dragon NPC, there is no link to a dragon article. For monsters, now that I use and integrate HeroLabs, I rarely crate monster articles in RW. I'm wondering if you are doing the same thing with monsters.

Also, you seem to be really into maps. Do you have a world map that you can then click on continents or regions to bring up the topics for those smaller areas and continue to drill in? If found that after using RW for a while, I went back and redid all my maps because I was trying to put too many pins on my world and country maps. So I carved them up so I can "drill down" in them via pins. I'm wondering what your approach is.

Again, thanks so much for sharing!
Mechanics... Yes, I currently have 3 1/2 Monster Manuals in there (Planning on more too) and a few other incidentals. I plan on putting in Traps, pricing for Inn's, Food etc for average prices, and some spells.

Currently no "Rules"... But yes Mechanics is the place for it.

Herolab... I only have a few things linked to HeroLab. Characters and NPC's.

Maps... I have created all the "World" maps and are my own creation... I think there are 2 maps in there that I did not create. Yes I love Maps...
If you are on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/TheMadCarto...rsCartography/
is my Cartography page. (I have not done anything in some time due to working 55-60 hours a week for months now...)

Drilling Down on Maps... Yes I have some of that in place now. But most of my world is not linked that way "YET", but I plan on doing that.

I have since added the following:

Seasons
Months
Guilds - Currently not fleshed out yet but I have some info in there.
Titles

Also, I have EVERYTHING revealed. I am hoping to sell my Lerchanth once we can do so.

I am hoping to make a new video this weekend to show off some of the new stuff I have added.

Great comments, Thanks!
LeeSmith is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
LeeSmith

Old October 6th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_NOLA View Post
Thanks, great video & love your CC3 map.
Really like that you showed off how you set up your world.
Thank you! I'm enjoying this. I have been wanting to map my world for about 20 years now. I am finally getting around to it.

Lee
LeeSmith is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
LeeSmith

Old October 6th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentaa View Post
Quick note: Lee, THANKS. Just started Realm Works and wanted to get some ideas since the Demo file is not active....
Your most welcome!
LeeSmith is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 6th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSmith View Post
Mechanics... Yes, I currently have 3 1/2 Monster Manuals in there (Planning on more too) and a few other incidentals. I plan on putting in Traps, pricing for Inn's, Food etc for average prices, and some spells.

Currently no "Rules"... But yes Mechanics is the place for it.
Interesting. I started with the rules. I put in the D&D basic rules, but kinda wish I didn't. I need to go back and adjust all the link rules for those article names. Having all those common words as article names makes saving content a slog as I have to tell RW to ignore certain words when creating links. Also, I just don't find that I look that much up. I would feel differently if I could have the entire PHB and DMG entered, for swift looking up less-commonly used rules.

It will be interesting to see how they name articles for massive rulesets like Pathfinder. If they don't use some special naming convention, I worry that it will break the linking.

Unlike you, I stoped adding in monsters, unless they are custom or I need to record campaign-specific notes about a monster. I just use hero lab and the books.

Magic items, poisons, diseases, random treasure tables, and other game aids are for more useful references to be able to link to and I rely on these extensively.

Quote:
Herolab... I only have a few things linked to HeroLab. Characters and NPC's.
I link as I prep. I create HL portfolios for encounters, NPCs, and beasts for specific scenes as I prep. When things go sandboxy, however, it would be nice to have HL portfolios linked to monster articles for all monsters. I would glady pay a lot of money to have the Monster Manual and Kobold Press's Tome of Beasts in RW with HL integration, but I don't have the time to do it myself. Barely have enough time to write and prep for adventures.

Quote:
Maps... I have created all the "World" maps and are my own creation... I think there are 2 maps in there that I did not create. Yes I love Maps...
If you are on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/TheMadCarto...rsCartography/
is my Cartography page. (I have not done anything in some time due to working 55-60 hours a week for months now...)
I don't have a FB account but from what I could see from your pages public content (and your video showing your realm), I would love to see more.

Quote:
Also, I have EVERYTHING revealed. I am hoping to sell my Lerchanth once we can do so.

I am hoping to make a new video this weekend to show off some of the new stuff I have added.
That's great, best of luck with that. I could definitely see buying it. While I have my own campaign world, it would be nice to pick certain towns, merchants, NPCs, etc. from other campaign worlds that I like copy to my realm.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
LeeSmith

Old October 7th, 2016, 01:39 AM
MNBlockHead,

Sounds like you spend ALOT of time in RW. I do like your idea of Magic Items, Posions, Diseases, and random treasure tables... (borrowing these ideas)

Would love to see your RW...

If you would like to see my verson, put your email in a reply for me and I'll send you an INVITE.

Lee
LeeSmith is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 7th, 2016, 10:49 AM
I'll send you a PM. Would be happy to schedule a time on Google Hangouts or I can use my Join.me account. My realm is by no means a showcase realm. There are other folks doing some AMAZING things in RW. My Realm is really just for my use as I DM. Players don't have player editions and I don't intend to ever sell any of it in the Content Market. But some folks may find it helpful to see a realm that has gone through different approaches and an is now in a just-enough, create as I need it mode.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
LeeSmith

Old October 7th, 2016, 04:16 PM
BTW, I dont play D&D or Pathfinder. My game is Castles & Crusades.

http://www.trolllord.com/

Lee
LeeSmith is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
LeeSmith

Old October 7th, 2016, 06:11 PM
UPDATED video...

https://www.facebook.com/TheMadCarto...rsCartography/

Last edited by LeeSmith; October 7th, 2016 at 06:17 PM.
LeeSmith is offline   #18 Reply With Quote