Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Acenoid

Old April 27th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Hi there!

I hope this wasn't asked 100 times already, but I did not see it in the FAQs:

- If I buy now the initial version 1.x , is this a lifetime license , so will I benefit from all future updates? (+ the cloud fees)

- I do not see that any of my players in the group would buy a player version, will the player "web-version" also work with realms that are not part of the cloud service?
EDIT: I just checked some older threads, and currently it seems that this is not possible.

- If my realm is in "offline-mode" could I still buy / view / download 3rd party content?

- Is it possible to import 3rd party content offline in RW w/o cloud service?

Thank you in advance for your time reading this &

Best regards

Last edited by Acenoid; April 27th, 2014 at 04:30 PM.
Acenoid is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 27th, 2014, 05:49 PM
From what we know so far, purchasing now will get you 6 months of cloud service. Lifetime cloud service is currently reserved to those folks who paid for that during the Kickstarter campaign as a pre-order benefit, if you will, at certain tiers. We do not know if the ability to purchase lifetime access will occur in the future but it is very likely that it would not be the cost of the software (as in I expect it to be at least a couple of hundred dollars or more, but we do not know if it will even ever be available or the actual cost if it does at this time).

The Web access for players will only be accessible if you have cloud service as the GM. The cost of the various cloud service tiers and what they will include is not set yet, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not sure what you mean by your realm being in "offline-mode". To create a realm you have to be connected to the internet (creation won't use up any cloud space, though and you won't need to connect to use that realm from that point on). If you wanted to purchase, view or download 3rd party content you would need to be connected to the internet. Your existing realms, however, don't need to be synced to the cloud to do that, I wouldn't think. We don't have that functionality yet, mind you, so those of us who are just users of the software can't really say for absolute certain how all of that will work just yet.

All of that should inform your last part where you should be able to get 3rd party content without cloud service, I would think, since you wouldn't need to actually store any data to the cloud that way (the data is already there and stored under the data provider's storage, you're just downloading a copy locally, in essence.) Take that with a grain of salt, of course, but that's what I think will be the case.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old April 28th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Regarding the updates I just wondered if LW will charge for client updates separately later on. E.g. client undergoes major update, LW charges extra 10$ to use it (e.g. with a new activation key). If you do not update, you don't benefit from the new features.

with 3rd party content I meant, if it would be still possible to browse the market place buy & download something, even when I'm not a member of the cloud. But I guess we have to wait first and see how the whole thing turns out.

Thank you for the detailed response!
Acenoid is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 28th, 2014, 04:48 AM
With updates I guess it's hard to say for certain. Hero Lab has had several major updates all for free. Army Builder I think had one that had a cost to upgrade. I think for the most part, though, they are not likely to charge for updates. Especially with some ability to make money on the cloud service subscriptions.

On 3rd party content, I doubt you will need to be a cloud subscriber to get marketplace content to download for local use, but you're right that we may have to wait to see for certain if that is really the case or not.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:32 PM
I was looking for an old thread, and came across this one. I realized I never posted the reply I meant to post. Better late than never!

The current plan is that any updates to the core product will be free updates. Currently, we can't envision a situation right now where we'd charge for updates. Major new functionality that is not core to the current purpose of Realm Works may be sold separately. For example, if we ever created and added a map creation tool, that would probably be sold separately.
liz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:59 PM
Hello all!
Realm Works looks like a program for me and I was about to purchase it when I thought of an important question:
1. Can I use another cloud storage service with Realm Works?

I currently have three different cloud storage services (all free), Dorpbox with 50gb, Google, and Microsoft onedrive. I don't want to have to manage another cloud service much less have to pay a subscription fee. I really wouldn't use it that much, unless...which leads into another question:

2. Will Realm Works still function normally if I do not have it connected to a cloud service?

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:17 AM
All this has been answered about 200 times in 100 threads before.

1. No. http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...=Cloud+Dropbox

2. Yes, same thread for the answer. Only exception: Creating the Realm, which doesn't even require a subscription only an active Internet connection at the very moment you want to create it! After it has been created you can take your PC to the deepest cave with no internet connection you can find and use it there. You will only need a internet connection after that if you want to create another realm.
Tharmiones is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks
Madmaxneo is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old May 25th, 2014, 08:23 PM
You may certainly export a backup of your realms, put that backup on dropbox and import that same backup into RW on another computer. The only catch is that you have to do it yourself, there will not be a way to "sync" to dropbox.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old May 25th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
Hello all!
Realm Works looks like a program for me and I was about to purchase it when I thought of an important question:
1. Can I use another cloud storage service with Realm Works?

I currently have three different cloud storage services (all free), Dorpbox with 50gb, Google, and Microsoft onedrive. I don't want to have to manage another cloud service much less have to pay a subscription fee. I really wouldn't use it that much, unless...which leads into another question:

2. Will Realm Works still function normally if I do not have it connected to a cloud service?

Bruce
As an important point of reference. There is no need of "managing" a cloud service for Realm Works. It does all the managing. All you do is to once in a while (if you use it that is) is to sync it with their server. You can both work offline and or online with the realm you created.

As has been mentioned too... the only time you need to connect with the internet is to create a Ream though. There is no need for cloud service. No need to purchase anything beyond the original purchase. No need to pay for the cloud service unless you want to be able to have the ability to share with your players via that same cloud and some of the other features too. This is a very cool thing. Having your players be able to access it during their offtime from not sitting at the table and contribute their ideas and such directly to your database... through the players version is very cool
Nikmal is offline   #10 Reply With Quote