Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

EightBitz

Old March 23rd, 2019, 09:08 AM
Finally, this is more of a subjective question.

In RoTL, almost everything is a scene. When I was inputting RoTL, I added a topic for every place in the game, and I added a topic for every person in the game. I bought RoTL, because I thought it would be a good, thorough example of how an in-depth campaign should be organized, and I found it to be not at all what I expected.

Did I go overboard? I know many of you have done your own work on RoTL. Have any of you bought the official content "just to see"? And if so, how does your work compare to the official content?
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 23rd, 2019, 09:52 AM
I haven't bought RotRL yet but when I input the AP I did what you did. Sandpoint is a great town that is very well fleshed out in the AP. I couldn't imagine leaving that out of the RW version. If they did that's a serious failing on whoever did the data entry and whoever approved it for release.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 23rd, 2019, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I haven't bought RotRL yet but when I input the AP I did what you did. Sandpoint is a great town that is very well fleshed out in the AP. I couldn't imagine leaving that out of the RW version. If they did that's a serious failing on whoever did the data entry and whoever approved it for release.
Sandpoint is in there as a place, but all the details are in there as sections of that topic instead of as separate, linked topics.
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 23rd, 2019, 02:01 PM
This is something I've thought about quite a bit.

In my early days, i did everything as suggested. Places were places, people were people. Story content was stripped out and put in as encounters.

Honestly it was very difficult to use at the table.

I now use the content in the same way that LWD do. Most things are a scene and they are put in the same way the pdf/book reads. If there is a chapter specifically on a location or specifically on a person then they get created individually.

This makes the content much easier to use at the table tbh.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 23rd, 2019, 02:29 PM
Not for me it wouldn't be.

My players wander about and do things without sticking to some rigid plot way too much. I need to be able to get access to any of dozens of locations and NPC's at a moments notice.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old March 23rd, 2019, 02:30 PM
This might be true, if you use an adventure path and have players that like to follow the plot.

I have a homebrew world and player that like to ... venture from the trodden path. If they go into a random place or I need to change the location of a quest giver, in order for the players to even enounter them, it's a lot easier if these have their own topics instead of having to remember which scene to open.

But every group of players, every DM and every world has its own playstyle.
Merion is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 23rd, 2019, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
This might be true, if you use an adventure path and have players that like to follow the plot.

I have a homebrew world and player that like to ... venture from the trodden path. If they go into a random place or I need to change the location of a quest giver, in order for the players to even enounter them, it's a lot easier if these have their own topics instead of having to remember which scene to open.

But every group of players, every DM and every world has its own playstyle.
If the published content don't already have it, you could create aliases for a topic that contain the names of the NPCs in that topic (although the aliases would get sorted in amongst the encounters, instead of the people section).

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 23rd, 2019, 08:51 PM
I'm happy with how the adventure content I've bought is organized.

My biggest issue with adventure content in RW is that it is hard to "page through" to get the big picture. For large, complex adventures, I think I would also want the print product for reading through. But for running a game, the way LWD organizing things in their adventures works quite well for me and gives me multiple ways to navigate through the material: plot outlines, GM synopisis, smart maps as navigation, story boards as navigation.

As for having a topic for every place and NPC, it depends on how recurring it is. The main reason to have an NPC as a topic is so that it will be linked to every time its name appears in other topics.

As for places, when I started using RW I was very granular, but quickly found that not every place warrants its own topic. I design for what is easy to use at the table. For example the Caves of Chaos from Keep on the Boarderlands is almost entirely contained in a single adventure area with smart-map pins giving most of the content I need. I only create a scene topic for a very small number of locations where there were more complex descriptions or encounters.

IIRC, a while back LWD shared their official guidelines for content creation. Not sure how to find it now.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote