Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old December 29th, 2016, 07:35 AM
I'm not thinking in terms of OGL or CUP. I'm thinking in terms of IP law. Paizo has a trademark on Golarion and certain other IP. They have to defend their trademarks against infringement or they can lose the rights to those trademarks. Allowing wide distribution of their IP without license even if free might be seen by a judge as sufficient to mean they have failed to protect their trademark.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 29th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Are you sure about the sharing bit still conforming to the CUP?

I don't know if sharing something with RW counts as publishing.
RW is a new medium, as I have often stated. It may well be considered a new publishing format, and I don't think anyone wants to volunteer to be the test case to find that out.

ShadowChemosh may be over-stating the breadth, but the Community Use Policy (CUP) is pretty generous.

WotC and Paizo have different business models.

The D&D business model is to sell the core rulebooks ... they left the 3.x era adventures to third parties because their analysis said it would not be profitable for them to do the adventures (except for a minimal number). Everything they did publish was to drive sales of the PHB in the end. The more restrictive licenses on 4E and 5E are intended to prevent people from re-publishing enough of the rules that would discourage the sales of the core books.

In contrast, Paizo's staple product is the Adventure Paths. The rules are there to provide the framework for running the adventures. Paizo sells the rulebooks and expands the game, but that is primarily to support ongoing sales and the APs. They are more open with the availability of the rules because they feel that increases the sames of their adventures.

The OGL, as a specific license, grants certain usage according to its wording. Being more specific, it supersedes general IP law in some areas, but relies on that law framework for the points not addressed in the OGL itself. Content not declared as "Open" in the OGL falls under the broader IP laws.

Paizo's CUP is also a more specific license. It allows the use of certain things that the OGL would not (by itself) under limited circumstances. It pre-dates RW, and may be subject to revision to address the circumstances of RW, so it may be dangerous to rely on it for RW.
Silveras is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 29th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I'm not thinking in terms of OGL or CUP. I'm thinking in terms of IP law. Paizo has a trademark on Golarion and certain other IP. They have to defend their trademarks against infringement or they can lose the rights to those trademarks. Allowing wide distribution of their IP without license even if free might be seen by a judge as sufficient to mean they have failed to protect their trademark.
The CUP and OGL *are* licenses to re-distribute content under certain conditions. The OGL requires that the license text be included with the re-distributed content, for example.

As I mentioned in my previous post, RW may cause Paizo to revise the CUP because of its potential as a publishing medium; at the same time, though, the PathfinderWiki is also a publishing medium, and they seem perfectly fine with it.

Certainly, the elements of the Adventure Paths and modules are far more sensitive for Paizo than the rules are. Plots, characters, names. artwork, and such are the core of their products and are more necessary for them to protect.
Silveras is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old December 29th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paizo Community Use Policy
• To use Paizo Material under this Policy you must include the following notice in plainly legible and accessible form in each product or on each website that uses any Paizo Material:

"This [website, character sheet, or whatever it is] uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Inc., which are used under Paizo's Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This [website, character sheet, or whatever it is] is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Paizo Inc. For more information about Paizo's Community Use Policy, please visit paizo.com/communityuse. For more information about Paizo Inc. and Paizo products, please visit paizo.com."
• By using content under this Policy, you agree to not use any material in a way that suggests Paizo endorses or is in any way responsible for anything you create, or that suggests that you have any other relationship with Paizo, unless we have a separate written agreement that lets you do so. You agree to not use Paizo's trade dress—that is, you may not make your material look like ours. You agree that such use could irreparably harm Paizo.

• You agree to use your best efforts to preserve the high standard of our intellectual property. You agree to present Paizo, our products, and the Paizo Material in a generally positive light. You agree to not use this permission for material that the general public would classify as "adult content," offensive, or inappropriate for minors, and you agree that such use would irreparably harm Paizo. You agree to not do anything illegal in or with products or websites produced under this Policy.

• You agree to create an account on paizo.com and add an entry describing your material on our Community Use Registry at paizo.com/communityuse/registry, with links where appropriate. You agree to endeavor to keep this information up-to-date.
As long as what you're distributing follows these rules, and doesn't break the terms of what the license allows, you're golden.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 29th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSmith View Post
RW is EMPTY when you 1st get it, YOU need to create the content you want in your version of RW. That includes Manuals, Campaigns or even a module....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Once the content market is fully realized, some of those concerns might be alleviated. However, that means buying content or maybe hoping for cheap content provided by other players (if that is going to be allowed).
We're actually going to be launching some FREE content for everyone before the store itself comes online. You can read about that in this newspost.

We also plan on hosting select free community content, in addition to content for purchase in the future.
Joe is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post
PFRPG has an OpenGL wiki thingy with all the base rules. Free for anyone to use.

DnD 4/5e has similar.

I guarantee these materials will be in RW not to long after the market opens
In the case of 4e, highly unlikely. The rather permissive OGL was gutted for the 4e GSL, which is little more than a list of terms you are allowed to mention without making Wizards cross. There is virtually nothing in official 4e that we'd be permitted to transcribe into RW :\

Fox Lee, The Art Gremblin
Invincible Ink - Original indie tabletop games on demand
The Square Fireball - Where it's 4th Edition Forever
Skies of Escarnum - Inclusive anime-flavoured 4e campaign world
HeroLab 4e patch contributor
Fox Lee is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old February 17th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Deleted
Pollution is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 17th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
We also plan on hosting select free community content, in addition to content for purchase in the future.

I don't want to derail this thread, but quick side question:
does this mean all community created content for the content market HAS to be free? I would absolutely pay a small amount for a nice, user created NPC or location.
Merion is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 17th, 2017, 03:28 PM
I would think the answer to hosting free content will depend on what cloud storage option you are paying for. This may also be an opportunity for someone to start a site to host (and even sell) RW content.

I have a feeling LWD doesn't want to host EVERYTHING because they are probably liable should they host something that infringes. Vetting and ensuring IP compliance would be a lot of work.
AEIOU is offline   #19 Reply With Quote