Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Sorry about mislabling the Subject Line - should be Power Feat: Progression, Increase Range

In 2nd Edition:

I have Communication 5 with the Extra: Omni-Directional Area and the Power Feat: Progression, Increase Range 4.

The software is showing max range as 12,500 feet.

That would be correct if the power followed the basic formula of (power rank x 100 feet) x 25 for the PF or if it is following the Area column of the Extended Range Table (U.P. page 16)

However, since Communication (U.P. page 32) uses the Extended Range Table shouldn't it be 5 miles from the power's rank x 25 from the Progression Extra, i.e. 125 miles?

Given that U.P. page 16 states that an Extended Range or Area effect is governed by the rank of the power AND that the Extra: Area on U.P. page 32 states that it affects all within the maximum range based upon the power's rank, perhaps the PF: Progression, Increase Range shouldn't be selectable for Communication.

FYI, Rank 7 Communication which costs the same as Rank 5 Comms with PF: Inc Rng 4 gives a greater maximum range: 200 miles versus 125 miles (or 12,500 feet if the software is actually right).

Thoughts on this?

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; January 3rd, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Woodclaw

Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
In the intro of Ultimate Power it was specified that powers with Extended range are regarded as something of a plot device trick, their range usually can't be modified by Extras, Flaws and/or Power Feats, only the actual Power Rank counts. So the whole thing is a bit meaningless.
Woodclaw is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 5th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodclaw View Post
In the intro of Ultimate Power it was specified that powers with Extended range are regarded as something of a plot device trick, their range usually can't be modified by Extras, Flaws and/or Power Feats, only the actual Power Rank counts. So the whole thing is a bit meaningless.
Hmm, I don't see that in the Intro of my U.P. (copyright 2006) but I do see words to that effect in paragraph one of the Extended Range or Area section on page 16.

I don't think the issue is meaningless. If the software had done a validity check and found the Power is one that uses the Extended Range Table, it would've automatically greyed out that particular PF. Then I wouldn't have been able to erroneously select the Power Feat: Progression, Increase Range.

So, if it's not currently doing such a validity check, it's probably high time that it did.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; January 5th, 2011 at 04:31 AM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote