Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

temohjyn

Old February 11th, 2022, 06:59 AM
Hello,

Before I go any further, I want to say that I am absolutely grateful for all of the work that smarter people than myself are doing and have done with the 5e community pack. It is absolutely invaluable to me, as Hero Lab is still the very best way I've found to create, maintain, and level up characters for every game. So, to all you coding and programming people, a hearty "Cheers!"

That said, I've got a question. I was recently creating a character and chose the Linguist Feat. As soon as I did, the character's INT score started showing a split score 15/16, one on the left shaded in grey, and the other shaded in black. It also showed a split bonus of +2/+3, again the one on the left shaded in grey and the one on the right shaded in black. When I print the character sheet though, it just shows up as a split score and split bonus.

Is this some sort of rules application that I'm not aware of, or reading correctly? The Feat simply says "Increase your Intelligence score by 1." So I can't figure why Hero Lab would suddenly start listing two separate INT scores after taking that feat. For reference, in case it matters, the character in question was a 9th level Rock Gnome Bard with the Criminal Background.

Any insight into why that split INT score is occurring would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Temo
temohjyn is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
asvaldson

Old February 11th, 2022, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by temohjyn View Post
Hello,

Before I go any further, I want to say that I am absolutely grateful for all of the work that smarter people than myself are doing and have done with the 5e community pack. It is absolutely invaluable to me, as Hero Lab is still the very best way I've found to create, maintain, and level up characters for every game. So, to all you coding and programming people, a hearty "Cheers!"

That said, I've got a question. I was recently creating a character and chose the Linguist Feat. As soon as I did, the character's INT score started showing a split score 15/16, one on the left shaded in grey, and the other shaded in black. It also showed a split bonus of +2/+3, again the one on the left shaded in grey and the one on the right shaded in black. When I print the character sheet though, it just shows up as a split score and split bonus.

Is this some sort of rules application that I'm not aware of, or reading correctly? The Feat simply says "Increase your Intelligence score by 1." So I can't figure why Hero Lab would suddenly start listing two separate INT scores after taking that feat. For reference, in case it matters, the character in question was a 9th level Rock Gnome Bard with the Criminal Background.

Any insight into why that split INT score is occurring would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Temo
I tested this and am getting the same thing. For some reason it's coded wrong. I did a quick fix that does work. Fenrir can do a permanent patch fix. I've linked a .hl file you can download and install. all it will do is install the Feats file with the one change I made. Just download and doubleclick to install.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12YP...ew?usp=sharing
asvaldson is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
asvaldson

Old February 11th, 2022, 11:10 AM
Fenrir: For some reason it was coded as #skillbonus[aINT] += 1

I took a look at the Actor feat (which IS adjusting attributes correctly) and stole that code and replaced the charisma variable with intelligence so it looks like this:

hero.child[aINT].field[aStartMod].value += 1

Unless you can think of a reason WHY it was coded that way initially? *shrugs*
asvaldson is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old February 11th, 2022, 01:02 PM
I've never dived (dove? doven??) into the multiple different ways attribute bonuses are coded. Thanks for the fix. I'll update this when I have a second.

Also, just FYI, reporting things like this on the GitHub is really helpful for me; it helps me keep track of it and ensure it gets into a release.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
asvaldson

Old February 11th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris447 View Post
I've never dived (dove? doven??) into the multiple different ways attribute bonuses are coded. Thanks for the fix. I'll update this when I have a second.

Also, just FYI, reporting things like this on the GitHub is really helpful for me; it helps me keep track of it and ensure it gets into a release.
Will do! If I find other bugs, I'll try to puzzle them out before I report them too. that as well as your help in PMs is really extending my scripting skills :P
asvaldson is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
temohjyn

Old February 12th, 2022, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asvaldson View Post
I tested this and am getting the same thing. For some reason it's coded wrong. I did a quick fix that does work. Fenrir can do a permanent patch fix. I've linked a .hl file you can download and install. all it will do is install the Feats file with the one change I made. Just download and doubleclick to install.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12YP...ew?usp=sharing
Wow! That was lightning fast turnaround. Once again I am so totally grateful for all of you smart coders and your tireless work that allows me to use Hero Lab for my 5e games. THANK YOU!!!!!!
temohjyn is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
asvaldson

Old February 12th, 2022, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by temohjyn View Post
Wow! That was lightning fast turnaround. Once again I am so totally grateful for all of you smart coders and your tireless work that allows me to use Hero Lab for my 5e games. THANK YOU!!!!!!
lol you got lucky because I'm currently learning how to script in HL, so when I saw your comment I decided I wanted to take on the task.
asvaldson is offline   #7 Reply With Quote