Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Cid

Old March 14th, 2020, 08:05 PM
Well, it's looking grim around here with support. They don't seem to even read the forums here, anymore. Is there any way to backup the realms to NAS in the event that LWD just closes off server access? Just shuts it down to avoid having to pay for it?

I know you can do your realm the hard way (seems like a pain), but what i'm referring to is to be able to use your NAS as a home-cloud and back it up to that rather than the RW servers.
Cid is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 14th, 2020, 10:04 PM
No, there is no such option. You can do database backup to your NAS, which is file-based backup. For now LWD and RW are not going away.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 15th, 2020, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Well, it's looking grim around here with support. They don't seem to even read the forums here, anymore. Is there any way to backup the realms to NAS in the event that LWD just closes off server access? Just shuts it down to avoid having to pay for it?

I know you can do your realm the hard way (seems like a pain), but what i'm referring to is to be able to use your NAS as a home-cloud and back it up to that rather than the RW servers.
LWD has promised that if the servers are shut down they will release a version that allows new realms to be created without cloud access. For backups you can set the backup database that RW creates every time you close to any location. Mine have been going to my NAS for years.

To sync from the NAS is an entirely different problem. I had hoped that the cloud sync location was stored in the registry but it doesn't appear to be, it could be hard coded in the app or stored in the DB. Either way it presents a hurdle that would have to be overcome. After that we'd need to know how RW and the sync app communicate and create an app that mimics that. None of that is insurmountable but if the servers are still up I can see no reason to spend the time and effort involved.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 16th, 2020, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
For backups you can set the backup database that RW creates every time you close to any location.
Just to clarify, the backup file is created next time you start RW.

But a new backup file is only created if you made changes in RW the previous time that you ran it. (Syncing counts as a change, even if no other edits were made.)

So, if you made a LOT of changes to the realm and then closed RW. The backup file won't be created until the NEXT time that you open RW.

Which is probably why RW seems to take so long to load... (in my case creating a 3.8GB backup file)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; March 16th, 2020 at 12:41 AM.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old March 16th, 2020, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
LWD has promised that if the servers are shut down they will release a version that allows new realms to be created without cloud access.
Yeah, but LWD doesn't really have much credibility with me. I could search these board and find a lot of well intentioned, but false statements from LWD. That said I think I have finally managed to extricate myself from RW altogether, so its a moot point me personally.
meek75 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 18th, 2020, 03:58 PM
What NAS are you using?
You could just backup the master.realm file (the original one not the backup).
If you have a synology nas, you could use "synology drive" which will just sync whenever the file is changed and not in use. There are other options like hyperbackup or Active backup (for business) both I can recommend.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Cid

Old March 20th, 2020, 06:21 PM
Synology.
Cid is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 22nd, 2020, 10:16 AM
So any of the suggestions appeal to you?
Or maybe you are already using some of them?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Cid

Old March 26th, 2020, 10:37 AM
I can probably just export and put that on my NAS and just get it from there across my boxes and do an import.

A pain in the azz, but whatever.
Cid is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 26th, 2020, 10:53 AM
This is why I am using the cloud sync. It is perfect way to sync between devices. When I want to backup to my NAS I simply use the Backup database option and point to the SMB path.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #10 Reply With Quote