Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MToscan

Send a message via ICQ to MToscan Send a message via MSN to MToscan

Old October 14th, 2010, 01:44 AM
First of all hi, I have bought Hero lab yesterday and also all the Pathfinder add ins. I am playing a bit with this software and I have to say it's really excellent and complete, much better than anything I have tried so far (I have used PCGen and RPGXplorer for a while, but tested a lot more!).

There are however a few questions about Hero lab.

First I cannot find spell effects modifiers on the stats, they would be super-helpful when statting big bad end guys that have spellcasting abilities. And to track spelll effect and their duration. I read you're working on it but is there a workaround for the moment?

Second, I don't like much the way money is handled, I might not get it but so far it seems very rigid.
- Is there a way to convert part of my cash? Say I have 250 GP left in my inventory and I want to change 200 gp to 20 PP, leaving me with only 70 coins in my purse.
- Can I swap equipment between characters? I have found some of the players in my group are overloaded and I'd like to swap items without having to recreate them. This way when I distribute treasure it would be much easier to find out who is able to carry it. Also same for incapacitated characters, I'd like some way to give my backpack and everything contained there to a companion.
- Is there some way to split my cash? I'd like to have a bag of 300 gps in my backpack, two coins in my boot, another 40 in my first belt pouch etc...

Thank you!!
MToscan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old October 14th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I dont think you can do anything with the type of coins you have. I would like to see a bit of a better way top track this as well. A few work arounds though, you can just list all the money is a journal entry and track it that way, you can also choose an option to not count the wieght of gold on your character.

What I do is just give all characters a small bag of Holding for free, that way they can carry all their money in it.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Shayd3000

Old October 14th, 2010, 08:27 AM
You can go into the journal tab, and using the money adjuster, adjust manually the coins you want. For example, if you have 233 gold coins and want them to be platinum, you would enter in the the adjuster fields:

For Platinum: 23
For Gold: -230

Then click the button to adjust and it will handle it fine. It took me a few minutes to get used to the concept that I have to adjust coins in the journal, but now I find it works quite well for me.

George

Member: Amorphous Blob Games
Shayd3000 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM
There is not currently a way to break the money stack in HL into separate items, but this is something that's on my to-do list.

The current way to handle gems is to purchase the "-Custom Gear-" item at the top of the list of gear to purchase - pay whatever the gem is worth, then fill in "Diamond (500gp)" as the name of the item.

This could also be used to represent the extra stacks of coins.

Once you have more than one character loaded into a portfolio, the dashboard will be shown on the right-hand side. On each dashboard entry will be an icon that looks like a bag. Click the gear icon on the character you want to move the item to (it will move it from the currently active character), and you can select from among the active hero's possessions to move to the other character.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
nylanfs

Old October 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Mathias, why not just make coin items with the costs, and then have the output sheets list the money stack (unspent funds), coins and any gems in the currency section?
nylanfs is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
aimsley

Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
I dont think you can do anything with the type of coins you have. I would like to see a bit of a better way top track this as well. A few work arounds though, you can just list all the money is a journal entry and track it that way, you can also choose an option to not count the wieght of gold on your character.

What I do is just give all characters a small bag of Holding for free, that way they can carry all their money in it.
Our GM has allowed us to pool or resources and purchase a bag of holding. I am the one carrying it right now but I'm the only one who uses Hero Lab. I couldn't find bag of holding in the list of inventory for purchase and I wasn't able to customize the container so that it would work like a bag of holding. Right now I have adjusted my encumbrance to the negative but I really don't want to keep it like that. Any ideas?
aimsley is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old August 4th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I created a custom item called 'Gold Horde', worth 100gp, and the weight of 100gp. I 'purchase' this to be able to store my fortune in my home (which I've created as a Custom Location). This allows the horde to be tracked, and the weight, since it's in a different location, is not counted against encumbrance.

You can just as easily create gems like this as well.
Fuzzy is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 4th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimsley View Post
Our GM has allowed us to pool or resources and purchase a bag of holding. I am the one carrying it right now but I'm the only one who uses Hero Lab. I couldn't find bag of holding in the list of inventory for purchase and I wasn't able to customize the container so that it would work like a bag of holding. Right now I have adjusted my encumbrance to the negative but I really don't want to keep it like that. Any ideas?
Bag's of holding are part of CORE. Go to the "Magic" tab and add new and type in at the top "Bag of Holding" and you should see all four of them.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old August 5th, 2014, 09:36 AM
For items, you need to be sure you're looking in the right tab.

Weapons are in the weapons tab.
(Select Size then) click on New Magic, Custom or Masterwork weapon.

Armors and Shields are in the Armor tab.

Other magical items are in the Magic tab.

A few times, I've thought it odd that such and such item wasn't included.
Until I clued in, that it would appear under a different tab, because it was [Whatever Type] and I was searching in a different tab.
Ualaa is offline   #9 Reply With Quote