Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Notices

Dreamline

Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:25 AM
With the revamped rules for Class Skills, Skill advancement and removal of Signature Skills, the new HL interface appears to be bugged.

Example:

My 4th Level Rogue has 13 skills from Rogue class, 1 granted from Background and 3 advancements from levels.

I can tick off Trained on individual skills under the Rogue class and they count against Rogue Class skills. However, I cannot spend Rogue levels to Advance a skill from Trained to Expert; these ONLY come from the Skill Advancement pool.

This makes it impossible to create a character who is particularly well-trained (Expert or higher) in fewer skills.

I'm hoping this math gets fixed soon so that skill training and/or advancement can come from either Class or Level advancement or other bonuses to skills.

-John
Dreamline is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:02 PM
First I would advise putting in an official bug report for this issue.

Second my players characters are all correct so I would make sure you are not just not missing part of the UI.

Go into your character. Go to the Abilities->Skills tab. Then press F5 to force a refresh of the page. If on an iPad it will be the circle arrow located by the URL to Force a Refresh. This should cause the Expert, Master, Legendary skill upgrades to appear if you are high enough level.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dreamline

Old October 22nd, 2018, 02:17 PM
I've entered a bug report. The issue is not with the interface displaying the options for checking Trained or increasing/decreasing skill levels, but rather how these levels are allocated from Class Skills, Int bonus and leveling and how they are reported as Overspent.
I think the issue may also be with retraining and/or banking initial levels for later Expert/Master/Legendary increases.

Or am I misunderstanding - can a 4th Level PC only be Expert in 3 skills max regardless of their available skill points?

John

Last edited by Dreamline; October 22nd, 2018 at 02:20 PM.
Dreamline is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 22nd, 2018, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamline View Post
Or am I misunderstanding - can a 4th Level PC only be Expert in 3 skills max regardless of their available skill points?
A non-rogue class like Fighter could only have a single skill at Expert at level 4.

A rogue character and ONLY a Rogue could have three expert skills at level 4 and that is all.

A rogue with a 18 in Intelligence at level 2 could make only a single skill an Expert proficiency level as they get one skill increase. They can do this again for a different skill at level 3 and again at level 4.

I am reading some what into your post but you do not get Intelligence bonuses to the skill upgrades like in PF1. Intelligence only provides additional trained skills at level 1.

Hope that helps...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 22nd, 2018, 02:55 PM
Not just a 4th Level PC, but a 4th Level Rogue, since they get more Skill Increases.

Page 199 says "At 2nd level and every level thereafter, you gain a skill increase. You can use this increase to either become trained in one skill you’re untrained in, or become an expert in one skill in which you’re already trained." The other Classes have the same rules, except that they only get the Skill Increase every 2 levels, and except for some specific Feats, that's the only way described that a skill is increased in proficiency.

Page 318 says "In general when retraining, you can’t make choices that you couldn’t when first making your character", so you can't bypass that by Retraining, either.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dreamline

Old October 22nd, 2018, 03:05 PM
Got it; that makes sense, but probably was bugged pre-1.4 of HL as I was able to increase to L4 and have 4 Expert skills previously.

Wow - that is a huge limitation to non-Rogues that ever need multiple Expert skills for Feat prerequisites or want to become Master or Legendary at anything...

John
Dreamline is offline   #6 Reply With Quote