Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Bob G

Old December 13th, 2018, 03:38 PM
This one is pretty complex, and I'm really unsure of how to start building it:

1. Class gets a number of points equal to their class level. These points are used to create custom poisons. I think this is the easy part.
2. The poisons can be modified in a number of different ways: Ability score they affect, the DC of the saving throw, the onset time, and the method of absorption (contact, ingested, inhaled). Each modification to the base stats of the poison costs a number of points.

I can't even think of a similar ability that I could look at and modify. Can anyone suggest a direction that I can take to model this ability?
Bob G is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 17th, 2018, 05:25 AM
That sounds like something really complex, like implementing Polymorph. Polymorph is something that LWD had to do.

Is this a homebrew ability, or is it from a 3rd party publisher? It doesn't seem like something Paizo would be adding to the game.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old December 17th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
That sounds like something really complex, like implementing Polymorph. Polymorph is something that LWD had to do.
Yep. This is always the difficulty with implementing rules that add new "build-a-bear workshop" subsystems. It's possible for a regular user to do (I've done it a couple times for Spheres of Power/Might), but requires a deep dive into custom components and UI work - which means hand-coding XML instead of having the editor, and having to figure out a lot of stuff on your own with little official support. Even with more experience than most, it takes me weeks of work to do something like this.
TheIronGolem is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Bob G

Old December 17th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post

Is this a homebrew ability, or is it from a 3rd party publisher? It doesn't seem like something Paizo would be adding to the game.
This is a third party class, the Assassin from Interjection Games. The Poison specialization is what I'm trying to model.
Bob G is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bob G

Old December 17th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
Yep. This is always the difficulty with implementing rules that add new "build-a-bear workshop" subsystems. It's possible for a regular user to do (I've done it a couple times for Spheres of Power/Might), but requires a deep dive into custom components and UI work - which means hand-coding XML instead of having the editor, and having to figure out a lot of stuff on your own with little official support. Even with more experience than most, it takes me weeks of work to do something like this.
Ugh, I'm barely proficient at even the simplest tasks in the editor. This sounds like something the player is going to have to manage manually. Maybe I can just set up the Poison points pool, and have them add custom poisons to their gear tab manually.

Thanks for the insight.
Bob G is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old December 18th, 2018, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
Ugh, I'm barely proficient at even the simplest tasks in the editor. This sounds like something the player is going to have to manage manually. Maybe I can just set up the Poison points pool, and have them add custom poisons to their gear tab manually.

Thanks for the insight.
The probable easiest way to do this is to create a new tab, like fighter weapon training. Have the Poisons pre-built as abilities in that configurable. Then force the player to track expenditure of points.
Minous is offline   #6 Reply With Quote