Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer 40,000

Notices

Closed Thread

pickledamish

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
i was just woundering when the grey knights will be in the army builder? they been out for about a week now.
pickledamish is offline   #1
fyrebyrd
Volunteer Data File Author

Old April 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Please read the file release process Here. Especially the part on the one month embargo.

Thanks

Fyrebyrd
AB40k Beta Tester

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
fyrebyrd is offline   #2
zindras

Old April 9th, 2011, 07:58 AM
There really needs to be strict deadlines on when new codex files are released. 1 month is more than enough time to perfect the data from ANY new codex. The software costs enough to promote a hasty production.

The attitude from developers is causing stir among the community lately, and i wouldn't be entirely surprised to see new software pop up soon.
zindras is offline   #3
fyrebyrd

Old April 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I encourage you to read this. Some information there is pertinent to this discussion.

If newer software does pop up, good for them. I'm more than certain that unless they are endorsed by the companies that offer the games we love, the situation will be similar.

If you are not satisfied with what we do for you in our own time, for free. That's fine, we aren't twisting your arm to use our files. I would encourage you to build and maintain a datafile as you see fit including having exact deadlines. The Authoring Program is available to everyone.

There is more to the one month embargo period than the time to make a 'perfect' datafile(ie legality).

My only word of wisdom is be careful, Intellectual Property laws are complex, and some companies are quick to sue.

I apologize if I come off abrasive sometimes, but you need to know that I personally enjoy providing these files to the millions of users for free, its a way that my love for the games I play can be shared with others.

Fyrebyrd
AB40k Beta Tester

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

Last edited by fyrebyrd; April 9th, 2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Additions
fyrebyrd is offline   #4
zindras

Old April 10th, 2011, 01:21 PM
While the data file may be free, the software used to view them is not. If there were an online system similar to forwardkommander that used your data files i doubt anyone would complain about the 1 month delay. However, as you mentioned the "quick to sue" companies i quickly thought to one specifically which is why you see a huge disclaimer on FK's website.

Anyway, thanks for the data file creation. Hopefully new systems will find a way to read the same file and even be smart enough to release a phone app =D
zindras is offline   #5
Mr_Rose

Old April 10th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Who or what are "FK" and why do you think they matter?

Click here to get 2.25GB of DropBox cloud storage free!

I've always wondered about the first person that saw a lobster and said, "You know what? I'm going to eat that."
Mr_Rose is offline   #6
Spack

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Mr_Rose, it's this: http://www.forwardkommander.com/

There is a major difference here though - it only supports Privateer Press game systems, and they have given the OK for this sort of thing.

GW on the other hand clamp down hard on what they perceive to be IP violations, so if FK did end up producing GW game files they'd quickly find themselves at the receiving end of a C&D letter if they had updates out on the day the codex was released.

Dan
AB40k Site Admin
http://www.ab40k.org - home of the AB40k maintainers

Last edited by Spack; April 11th, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Spack is offline   #7
pickledamish

Old April 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM
im not trying to rush it if you read above all i asked and said was when will they come out and they been out for a week but i understand it takes time to make it 100% just wanted to know when they might be ready in the army builder thats all.
pickledamish is offline   #8
DthShdw

Old April 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM
It's not only about making sure the files are as accurate and complete as possible. It is also about making sure that GW doesn't shut down the people making the files in the first place (and making those files publically available. Technically, there's nothing they can do if we all just custom built our own files, but lets face it... most of us don't know enough of what we're doing to do that).
DthShdw is offline   #9
Spack

Old April 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
pickledamish, Fyrebyrd already linked to the post stating that there will always be at least 1 month delay from the official codex street date, but here it is again as you obviously missed it: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=7454

While there is testing going on to try and iron out bugs before release, that is not the main reason why GK hasn't been released yet. DthShdw has hit it on the head - and Battlescribe's notificaton of GW IP infringement and a cease & desist last week may well have been excerbated by the inclusion of the GK list in that application 2 weeks ago. AB40k has had a minimum one month embargo on new codex inclusion for many years - some players do try to use the files as a way to avoid buying a codex and yet still using an army so the one month embargo may also help to reduce the risk of GW using this as a reason to shut them down.

Dan
AB40k Site Admin
http://www.ab40k.org - home of the AB40k maintainers

Last edited by Spack; April 26th, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Spack is offline   #10
Closed Thread