Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

einhager

Old January 9th, 2021, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
There are a whole raft of fixes waiting for approval and release. I believe those are on the list. Including removing that validation as invalid anymore under SWADE rules.
Cool. I'm not often here so I'm behind on update news.
einhager is offline   #201 Reply With Quote
tpkurilla

Old February 14th, 2021, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by einhager View Post
Cool. I'm not often here so I'm behind on update news.
We have been waiting since at least August for the update to drop.

The SWADE Deadlands is dependent upon it, so we've been waiting for that as well.

Alas, LW appears to be so immersed in supporting both versions of Pathfinder, that SWADE just isn't getting any love.
tpkurilla is offline   #202 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 14th, 2021, 01:28 PM
Perhaps the announcement of Savage Pathfinder will prove to be helpful in that regard!

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #203 Reply With Quote
techogre

Old February 16th, 2021, 03:48 AM
I hope so.

They just need to make it better that the slated support in savaged.us.
techogre is offline   #204 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old March 21st, 2021, 06:18 PM
Hey gang, haven't been here in a long while. The Pathfinder for Savage Worlds inspired me to take up Savage Worlds Adventure Edition. Decided to grab the data package for my copy of Hero Lab Classic, but I can't seem to figure out how to edit the traits for Races.

Is this not something you can edit/customize/create new races in character creation like you can in the SWADE rulebook? If not, I guess I'm stuck using Savaged.us for my campaign. I'd much prefer a non-online option for my gaming needs, though.

Thanks, sorry if this is the wrong area for this question.

James Dawsey

Vigilance Press at DriveThruRPG.com

The Vigilance Press Podcast

My Art on Deviant Art
Shadowchaser is offline   #205 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 21st, 2021, 09:51 PM
We can help, what do you want to do exactly? The Races can be modified to fit your campaign. Let me know what you want to do and I'll tell you how to do it.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #206 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old March 22nd, 2021, 01:44 AM
Quote:
We can help, what do you want to do exactly? The Races can be modified to fit your campaign. Let me know what you want to do and I'll tell you how to do it.
I want my players to be able to create and modify the races using the rules from the book (pages 12 to 21), and I want to be able to set the number of points a race can be built on (perhaps in the Configure Hero section?). For one campaign, I'm looking at letting my players build 3 or 4-point races, and for a Star Wars campaign I just want players to be able to make their own races in the character creation process so it isn't a huge burden on me.

Race is such a big step in the SWADE book, I would've figured it would have its own tab in the character creation process, but it's been relegated to a single option and I can't figure out how to add new races to the list. (Beyond clicking the one 'Show Races' option in the Configure Hero checklist, that is)

James Dawsey

My Art on Deviant Art
Shadowchaser is offline   #207 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old March 22nd, 2021, 09:18 AM
OK, this level of activity is in the Editor (Tools Menu). Generally, players are not allowed to edit Races. That's the GM's job, and that's why it's not a regular tab. Races are not edited often, just at the start of a campaign and then they are rarely touched again. So, no, there's not a player-friendly Race editor. Players don't generally get to define their own Races. Now, there's nothing stopping players from using the Editor...

There's not a limit set on how much a Race can have, but it does provide a running total.

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is offline   #208 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old March 22nd, 2021, 10:22 AM
Quote:
OK, this level of activity is in the Editor (Tools Menu). Generally, players are not allowed to edit Races. That's the GM's job, and that's why it's not a regular tab. Races are not edited often, just at the start of a campaign and then they are rarely touched again. So, no, there's not a player-friendly Race editor. Players don't generally get to define their own Races. Now, there's nothing stopping players from using the Editor...

There's not a limit set on how much a Race can have, but it does provide a running total.
Not to be argumentative, but it's totally a player-facing rule in the book.

Under "Breaking the Mold" on page 17 of SWADE, the first sentence is: "The racial arcetypes presented here are iconic of their usual appearance in fantasy and science fiction, but *players and Game Masters* should feel free to break the tropes if they fit your particular setting." (Emphasis mine)
Further, on the next page, "Making Races" starts with: "Game Masters and players who want to make their own races (or cultural archetypes) can use the system below."

This rule is meant for both GMs and players to use. It shouldn't be locked away behind a GM-only function in the software.

Anyway, if the players don't have access to the editor, and I'd have to do all the work, this probably won't work for me as a tool. Which is a shame, because I'd much rather be able to save my files as portfolios and edit them over time rather than only be able to output them as PDFs from Savaged.us's website... but their system lets players easily create custom race packages.

James Dawsey

My Art on Deviant Art
Shadowchaser is offline   #209 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old March 22nd, 2021, 05:38 PM
It is not locked away. Players are completely free to use the Editor. Please pardon me if I gave you that impression.

Designing Races is by far most often the purview of the GM. There are very few games where players get to design their own Races. That being said, it's still something that's touched once at the start of the game and never used again. So having an active tab for it would mostly be a waste of space during a campaign. Races are rarely edited once a game starts. That's the reason it's in the Editor and not on the active tabs, not to hide it or make it unavailable.

The players are more than welcome to play around in the Editor all they want. There is nothing at all stopping them. The trick is coordinating it if someone edits their copy of the user file, it will then be different from all the other players. The Setting itself is rarely modified by the players. It works best if everyone is using the same file. If a player wants to add something, they can always create a separate user file that they can send out to the other players, thus not editing your original Setting file.

I said in my previous post that there was nothing stopping the players from using the Editor, I hope I've made it clearer.

Now, building Races can get interesting if it needs a new Racial Property that's not already covered, because that will need to be entered as well and then added to the Race with a bootstrap. And we can help you with that.

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #210 Reply With Quote