Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

darkkoala

Old April 18th, 2018, 06:40 PM
So I've been using Hero Lab for YEARS now to run Mutants & Masterminds, and just today noticed this GM Authoring Kit. It sounds very interesting, but I'm wondering just how easy it is to use. From the description, it sounds extremely versatile, but I'm worried there might be a steep learning curve, and I'm not all that technically-minded.

Also, are you able to use the GM Authoring Kit to modify other games that you have a license for? I've got an idea for a homebrew game I'd like to start working on, using the World of Darkness game mechanics as a basis.
darkkoala is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 18th, 2018, 11:04 PM
You can't modify existing game systems. For that you would use the normal HL editor that is configured automatically for that specific game system.

You only need the authoring kit to create a new game system. There is a set of tutorials on the web site which teach you the basics of the authoring kit in setting up a game system from scratch.

If you've never used the editor in an existing game system then it will be quite a steep learning curve to generate a new game system.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 19th, 2018, 01:43 AM
Agreed. And I'm speaking from the position of someone who started with Mutants and Masterminds himself. I've been somewhere around a year trying to implement one game system I own myself, with more minor successes than major ones.
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
darkkoala

Old April 19th, 2018, 05:22 AM
Wait... there's a game editor already built into the games I have licenses for? Where is that even located?
darkkoala is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 19th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkoala View Post
Wait... there's a game editor already built into the games I have licenses for? Where is that even located?
Start HL and your game system of choice then go to Tools->Show Editor.

I would recommend reading the Glossary of Terms for the Editor. Then check out FAQ#2 for all the places to learn about the editor including YouTube videos. Welcome to the wonderful world of using the HL editor which will be the most frustrating and rewarding thing you can do with Hero Lab.

The above info is more specific to Pathfinder but the ideas of the Editor all work the same. Also the terminology used by HL is the same regardless of game system.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote