Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I just picked up the Companions package but have yet to be able to figure something out -- how do you give the HL character superpowers and where do you find your options once you do?

I found the edge that gives you points for superpowers but no place that lets you select the individual powers.

On a related question, I'm wondering how you can build a REALLY superstrong character. The example I thought of was He-Man from the 1980's cartoon -- the Superman/Captain Marvel of his world who could perform truly amazing feats of physical strength when needed. If I want him to have a lot of strength when I buy his powers, but not necessarily quite as much beforehand (He-Man had a non-superpowered alter ego who was physically much weaker than he was) then how many ranks will I have to buy, and will I have room for any other powers related to the concept of being really strong and tough, and intelligent enough to know how to use his strength to its very best advantage?
MPHopcroft is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Did you reactivate your license. If not do that first (Go to license and click that and go down to the reactivate License and click that). If you already did all that then go to character and click on that then go down to configure hero and click that. Know the configure your hero window should be up and you should see the Companion Books and check the super Powers Companion and hit ok, ok, ok and the powers tab should be there for your use. Hope that helps
jbearwillis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old April 5th, 2013, 06:10 PM
It did, thanks.

On my other problem, I ran out of points before I could do everything I wanted to. In particular I did not want He-Man to have a 0 Charisma. In the source material He-Man is highly charismatic and a born leader. His non-powered form seems less charismatic, but most of that is the act with which he conceals that he's really He-Man. (He's a prince and his father expects him to wade into battle when he could do much more for the situation in his powered-up form -- and he has a Vow against revealing his secret....)
MPHopcroft is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 5th, 2013, 06:27 PM
If you want more points for your character, there are 2 opinions you can chose from

1) Is to go to the personal tab and then look to the bottom of said window to the add permanent Adjustments and add them from there.

or

Warning: (Just to let you know - doing # 2 will give all characters the same adjustment, going the # 1 route will only give your character the adjustments.)

2) Go into the editor, once there go to the setting Adjust tab and open that tab, then make your adjustments there and go to the bottom of that window after making the adjustments you want, go down to sources in that window and make a new source for the Setting Adjustment - Something like He-Man. then save and test.

Hope that helps

Almost forgot - if you do # 2 and after you save and restart - your source needs to be checked in the configure your hero window.

Last edited by jbearwillis; April 5th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
jbearwillis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 5th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Or do you mean you want to know of a way to, within Savage Worlds rules, to make a He-Man type Super Hero? If so I'm not that adept at doing Supers yet (hopefully I'll get my group to run one in the near future) so I'm not positive of an optimal way to do it. However, I would argue that He-Man is NOT a Novice character, so if you want to make one like that I think you will have to plan it out so you can work up to a He-Man type character. Think of where He-Man started at and work your way up, that kind of thing.

You could also try asking on the Pinnacle forums. Lots of very experienced folks over there who might have good advice for you as well.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Old April 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I have, and they have. Their main suggestion is to keep He-Man offstage and play less experienced, less powerful characters as the PCs.

I've also thought about building He-Man as a Heroic or even Legendary character, but I'm not sure how to do it in Hero Lab. Once you've set up the character in Novice, how do you raise his level so you can add more Advancements?
MPHopcroft is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Go to the advancement tab after your done building him as a novice and lock the character after that you add exp through the Journal tab - every 20 points of exp added adds you a new rank - you don't have to put in 20 points you can add any amount to your exp. Just that every 20 points raises you 1 rank.
Hope that helps.
jbearwillis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old April 9th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Could you also not just select the NPC option on the Character Configuration screen? This will allow you to build the character you want and calculates the XP and level adjustments as it's going by the looks of things.
Endtransmission is offline   #8 Reply With Quote